Mirai

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Mirai

Post by Gojira-Fan »

I haven't noticed this topic yet. FIgured this was the right section of the forum to create this topic for since Toho distributed it after 2015.

Anyway, I saw this with a bunch of friends in a theater not too long ago and we all really liked it! It was such a cute, fun and engaging movie. It has some very stunning animation and dream sequences. Also a very heartfelt and relate-able message. It felt like a Miyazaki movie, and that is definitely a compliment!

It was also quite a treat to be able to see it in a theater with surround sound and in Japanese with subtitles. I love that it's become easier to see anime movies in theaters recently*. It was so nice to see the Toho logo in a modern theater. :huge: I definitely hope releasing more anime films in American theaters becomes more of a trend because I always love watching these kinds of movies moreso than most other films I see in the theater most of the time. It just feels like a more special experience than seeing your typical blockbuster.

This movie also has a really catch song that I love! I can't get it out of my head and I've been listening to it repeatedly. IT'S SO GOOD. Gonna put it on now lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTfxHh6NM48

*I have also seen Spirited Away and Princess Monoke in theaters in the past 2 years.
Last edited by Gojira-Fan on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: Mirai

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Shouldn't this be in the other media section?
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:Shouldn't this be in the other media section?
The film was distributed by Toho after 2015, so shouldn't it count for this section? Granted, this section is the only one to not have the terms "distributed by Toho" in the description but all the other sections do; so I don't see why this wouldn't be considered a Toho film. As I said in the first post the Toho logo even appeared before the film began when I watched it in the theater.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Gojira-Fan wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:Shouldn't this be in the other media section?
The film was distributed by Toho after 2015, so shouldn't it count for this section? Granted, this section is the only one to not have the terms "distributed by Toho" in the description but all the other sections do; so I don't see why this wouldn't be considered a Toho film. As I said in the first post the Toho logo even appeared before the film began when I watched it in the theater.
But this is for Toho Godzilla and kaiju eiga, not unrelated animated films distributed by them
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

"For the discussion of Godzilla Resurgence and Toho films after 2015."

That's the description for this section of the forum.

Also, the topics for the Showa, Heisei and Millenium eras all allow non-Godzilla or kaiju films. So why would this section not be the same way?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

There are plenty of other threads about Toho's non-Godzilla content in the 'Godzilla' sections, so this isn't without precedent. Pretty sure it's considered perfectly acceptable.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

That moment when we all remember Toho Kingdom is technically a Toho fan site, not a Godzilla one. :eh:
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

KaijuCanuck wrote:That moment when we all remember Toho Kingdom is technically a Toho fan site, not a Godzilla one. :eh:
I mean, I know kaiju movies tend to be the main focus but there are a lot of other examples of Toho movies that get attention both on the main site and the forums.

I just wish the notifications I got for this thread were for the movie to be discussed and not having to justify this topic's inclusion in this section lol

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Gojira-Fan wrote:I just wish the notifications I got for this thread were for the movie to be discussed and not having to justify this topic's inclusion in this section lol
Yeah, sorry about that. This is absolutely the right section for it to have been posted in.

Anyway, I haven't seen the movie yet, but it's definitely on my radar. It comes out on home video on April 9th, so liable to pick it up then or shortly afterwards. Was happy that it scored an Academy Award nomination as well:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/toho-a ... -nominees/
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Arbok wrote:
Gojira-Fan wrote:I just wish the notifications I got for this thread were for the movie to be discussed and not having to justify this topic's inclusion in this section lol
Yeah, sorry about that. This is absolutely the right section for it to have been posted in.

Anyway, I haven't seen the movie yet, but it's definitely on my radar. It comes out on home video on April 9th, so liable to pick it up then or shortly afterwards. Was happy that it scored an Academy Award nomination as well:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/toho-a ... -nominees/
If you like Studio Ghibli movies you will probably
like this one. It has the same sort of vibe (i.e it will hit charm you with tender emotional feelings).