Unmade 70's Godzilla Film: God's Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Unmade 70's Godzilla Film: God's Godzilla

Post by AllosaurHell »

So in the late 70's, someone at Toho wrote a draft for a film where Godzilla is sent by Jesus to destroy humanity, no joke this really was considered. It was posted here on the Toho Kingdom blogs but I don't think it was discussed in the forums yet.

Here's the proposed idea: https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/end-ti ... anslation/

Seriously this is so dumb yet hilarious at the same time. I'm imagining Jesus would have been played by a Japanese actor wearing a very fake looking wig and beard and not only that, I imagine that version of Jesus talking to the 1975 Godzilla in the heavens and I think of that specific Godzilla because this film was meant to come out in the 70's so I don't know if it was gonna reuse a previous suit or redesign him entirely.
Last edited by AllosaurHell on Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Re: Unmade 70's Godzilla Film: God's Godzilla

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Actually, it has been discussed here already. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28476&p=1632257&hil ... t#p1632257

That said, I think hilariously dumb fits this idea to a T. Although, I think that this Godzilla would look a little more like ShodaiGoji, 84Goji, or something completely different since this guy seemed to be going for a total reimagining.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Titanoterror98 wrote:Actually, it has been discussed here already. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28476&p=1632257&hil ... t#p1632257

That said, I think hilariously dumb fits this idea to a T. Although, I think that this Godzilla would look a little more like ShodaiGoji, 84Goji, or something completely different since this guy seemed to be going for a total reimagining.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm new to using the forum so there's a lot I still have to learn. If this movie got made, I can assume it would have sparked controversy among the religious community and who knows how it would have affected the Godzilla franchise as a whole. I like to think of this movie as not even being serious in tone due to how ludicrous it sounds.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

AllosaurHell wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:Actually, it has been discussed here already. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28476&p=1632257&hil ... t#p1632257

Thanks for the heads up, I'm new to using the forum so there's a lot I still have to learn. If this movie got made, I can assume it would have sparked controversy among the religious community and who knows how it would have affected the Godzilla franchise as a whole. I like to think of this movie as not even being serious in tone due to how ludicrous it sounds.
No worries, man. I was new here myself not too long ago. In fact, I've been here for months and I'm still trying to figure stuff out! :lol:
I think this movie probably would have given Godzilla's public image a rough time outside of Japan for it's controversial approach to Christianity and such, and Japan would've thought it was just too weird. Although I am intrigued as it sounds like a kaiju-fied version of The Visitor, which was released right around when this was proposed!
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Titanoterror98 wrote:
AllosaurHell wrote:

No worries, man. I was new here myself not too long ago. In fact, I've been here for months and I'm still trying to figure stuff out! :lol:
I think this movie probably would have given Godzilla's public image a rough time outside of Japan for it's controversial approach to Christianity and such, and Japan would've thought it was just too weird. Although I am intrigued as it sounds like a kaiju-fied version of The Visitor, which was released right around when this was proposed!
That film is probably why the script was made, Toho is often known for making Godzilla films inspired by other films which were popular around the time, spy/thriller movies were very popular in the 80's so they threw in a lot of that in Godzilla vs Biollante.

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

Jesus is a referred to as a humanoid... interesting, I wonder what religious communities would think of that?

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Freebleeper wrote:Jesus is a referred to as a humanoid... interesting, I wonder what religious communities would think of that?
Probably outraged, and to make it weirder, he's described as gold in color... For some reason I imagine him looking like a golden Mr. Meseeks from Rick and Morty but if he were to look like normal Jesus in the film, I picture a Japanese guy wearing a poorly made fake beard and wig.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

AllosaurHell wrote:...if he were to look like normal Jesus in the film, I picture a Japanese guy wearing a poorly made fake beard and wig.
Well Toho did release the movie Silence:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/movies/silence.htm

I doubt they would have gone to the trouble for the role, but someone from that movie likely could have fit the mold.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Arbok wrote:
AllosaurHell wrote:...if he were to look like normal Jesus in the film, I picture a Japanese guy wearing a poorly made fake beard and wig.

I doubt they would have gone to the trouble for the role, but someone from that movie likely could have fit the mold.
This is totally off topic, but with that said... Can we have a Jesus Christ bio for TK on the Aliens & Misc section...

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Arbok wrote:

Pretty interesting, I never knew Toho made a biblical film before but it still leaves me curious to how God's Godzilla would have looked visually.

Added in 36 seconds:
MM Raids Again wrote:
Arbok wrote:

This is totally off topic, but with that said... Can we have a Jesus Christ bio for TK on the Aliens & Misc section...
Yes! I fully support this suggestion!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Yeah there was a weird religious kick in the 70s with movies like The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, and The Omen all influencing the direction of cinema.

So I'm not surprised that things like this and "Godzilla Vs. The Devil" were proposed ideas.

I actually kind of wish one of these wacky ideas got made into a full film. I'd have been interesting, if nothing else, lol.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GojiDog wrote:Yeah there was a weird religious kick in the 70s with movies like The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, and The Omen all influencing the direction of cinema.

So I'm not surprised that things like this and "Godzilla Vs. The Devil" were proposed ideas.

I actually kind of wish one of these wacky ideas got made into a full film. I'd have been interesting, if nothing else, lol.
Godzilla vs the Devil was never a real movie idea

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Godzillian wrote:
GojiDog wrote:Yeah there was a weird religious kick in the 70s with movies like The Exorcist, Rosemary's Baby, and The Omen all influencing the direction of cinema.

Godzilla vs the Devil was never a real movie idea
Ah, after a little googling, I see that you're right.

Shame that it was just a myth. Is it weird that an off the wall idea like Godzilla Vs. The Devil felt like it was in the realm of possibility as a pitch for 70s Godzilla?
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GojiDog wrote:Shame that it was just a myth. Is it weird that an off the wall idea like Godzilla Vs. The Devil felt like it was in the realm of possibility as a pitch for 70s Godzilla?
I think part of the reason it persisted so long was that it really didn’t seem so off the wall for the 70s. Quite honestly I think God’s Godzilla/God’s Angry Messenger is even more out there than Godzilla vs Satan, and God’s Godzilla was real.

I’m of the mind that the Godzilla vs Satan myth (which stated that Godzilla first battled a giant spider, a demonic fish, and a bird monster before finally battling Satan himself) may have been inspired by the early Bagan concepts that had him shapeshifting from a terrestrial form, an aquatic form, and a draconic flying form before eventually becoming a horrific demon-beast that combined elements of all three.
Last edited by G2000 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

G2000 wrote:
GojiDog wrote:Shame that it was just a myth. Is it weird that an off the wall idea like Godzilla Vs. The Devil felt like it was in the realm of possibility as a pitch for 70s Godzilla?
I think part of the reason it persisted so long was that it really didn’t seem so off the wall for the 70s. Quite honestly I think God’s Godzilla/God’s Angry Messenger is even more out there than Godzilla vs Satan, and God’s Godzilla was real.

I’m of the mind that the Godzilla vs Satan myth (which stated that Godzilla first battled a giant spider, a demonic fish, and a bird monster before finally battling Satan himself) may have been inspired by the early Bagan concepts that had him shapeshifting from a terrestrial form, an aquatic form, and a draconic flying form before eventually becoming a horrific demon-beast that combined elements of all three.
You are 100% correct, but damn I still think it would have been entertaining to see the late Showa Godzilla face off against the Devil.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I would have loved to see these movies get, simply to see what Brad Jones would have thought of them. LOL! :mrgreen:

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Rhedosaurus wrote:I would have loved to see these movies get, simply to see what Brad Jones would have thought of them. LOL! :mrgreen:
That and James Rolfe, imagine how James' review of God's Godzilla would have been if the film did indeed get made.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

This would be a bigger mind f**k than the THE END OF EVANGELION's Third Impact scene with the giant Rei.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:This would be a bigger mind f**k than the THE END OF EVANGELION's Third Impact scene with the giant Rei.
Oh definitely, and the film was gonna be directed by the guy who did Hausu so of course a mindf**k was to be expected.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

AllosaurHell wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:This would be a bigger mind f**k than the THE END OF EVANGELION's Third Impact scene with the giant Rei.
Oh definitely, and the film was gonna be directed by the guy who did Hausu so of course a mindf**k was to be expected.
Of course, why am I not surprised? :lol:
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing