The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

For comments, discussion and further information regarding the site's K.W.C. section found in the Articles.
TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Re: The K.W.C. General Discussion Thread

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Greyshot151 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:24 pmI think the last 6 years we've really been looking to the past to add new highly requested, rare or scrapped monsters. BUT, the new stuff is really starting to change that direction in my eyes. With new films and shows giving us access to awesome monsters, my general philosophy going forward is to look more and more to the future. We plan a year out so you won't see anything too drastic at the moment, but change is on the horizon. So Nazuki (the war bats), I think I would add over something super obscure from the past nowadays like Black Moth. As to be honest, THAT is what the new kaiju loving members of the community want to read about just as we did with the relatively fresh Heisei and Millennium monsters when we all found the KWC at its inception.
Maybe it's just the way this is worded, or maybe I'm reading this in a context that it wasn't intended in, but I'm not sure I like how this sounds at all. While of course we should add new/current monsters whenever one comes out that interests us (such as the MonsterVerse crew, because obviously), this sounds dangerously close to "all those old rubber suit monsters are dumb so we're gonna focus on all the superior new ones." Or, to put it another way, Kylo Ren's "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to" shtick. We shouldn't be looking at this as "old monsters" or "new monsters," or "obscure monsters" versus "well-known/popular monsters." We should just be adding monsters. People want to add the Warbat? Add the Warbat. People want to add Shadorah? Add Shadorah. People want to add the Bride of Godzilla? Add the-- well, no, maybe don't add that one. :P
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

TitanoGoji16 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:28 pmWhile of course we should add new/current monsters whenever one comes out that interests us (such as the MonsterVerse crew, because obviously), this sounds dangerously close to "all those old rubber suit monsters are dumb so we're gonna focus on all the superior new ones." Or, to put it another way, Kylo Ren's "Let the past die. Kill it if you have to" shtick. We shouldn't be looking at this as "old monsters" or "new monsters," or "obscure monsters" versus "well-known/popular monsters." We should just be adding monsters. People want to add the Warbat? Add the Warbat. People want to add Shadorah? Add Shadorah. People want to add the Bride of Godzilla? Add the-- well, no, maybe don't add that one. :P
Nope. Still have wacky, crazy additions planned from past eras, but what I'm trying to say is don't be surprised if you see more new than old. I love my classic era films, but I do want to ensure the following is met with every new addition:

1) Uniqueness
2) Desire to be written/read

And we have some awesome stuff coming up with Godzilla: Dominion, Godzilla vs. Kong, Godzilla: Singular Point, Shin Ultraman and more! Meanwhile, we've kinda streamlined or added most of the combatants we can from last 60 years of films without adding something that is too similar or too unknown. I don't think anyone is clamoring for a Giant Rat vs. Mothra match or Moguera (Showa) vs. Gezora, but I think we've searched all the films, shows and material we (KaijuX) can for the best of the best! :huge:
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

I can at least agree in the sense of "we have new material coming out, let's focus on that", which I think Greyshot is saying. Not in a "modern stuff is superior" sense, but moreso in a "it's new stuff, people love it, let's add it" sense. Setting priorities of what people want to see vs. character from the left field are counter-intuitive when we have *new* content coming from Toho. Does that mean we won't add obscure Monster B? Absolutely not, so long as they bring their own distinction to the table.

What worked in the past with obscurees was the lack of new Godzilla/Toho content / content that didn't have its own legs to stand on (like Legendary Kong). But in an age where not only are we getting evolving characters, but we're literally getting fresh new interpretations that allow for a lot more room to play with these monsters. Again, it won't stop throwing in a super-obscure monster out of left field--give variety to what's put out, which I/we find important. But until the Reiwa-era / MonsterVerse comes to a close and the Godzilla franchise goes dormant for another decade, let's focus on what's coming right now to bring in new readers. Likewise, during those dormant years, those obscure fellas can pull their weight as to ensure the KWC will still be able to supply content for future surprises. ;)
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

So yeah probably asking the obvious but just want to be safe...
Spoiler:
Showa Kong is safe from being "replaced" by Legendary Kong right? Two seem more than distinct enough in personality & fighting style to coexist.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

godjacob wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:45 pm So yeah probably asking the obvious but just want to be safe...
Spoiler:
Showa Kong is safe from being "replaced" by Legendary Kong right? Two seem more than distinct enough in personality & fighting style to coexist.
I think that's already been established they're gonna coexist.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Just making sure thanks XD. Now we just need a scene of Showa Kong sharing his berry juice with Legendary Kong in a future match or story scene XD

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

godjacob wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:50 pm Just making sure thanks XD. Now we just need a scene of Showa Kong sharing his berry juice with Legendary Kong in a future match or story scene XD
Well yah better go write it then. Legendarys probably not getting in for some time so you got time :lol:
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Greyshot151 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:37 pm
godjacob wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:50 pm Just making sure thanks XD. Now we just need a scene of Showa Kong sharing his berry juice with Legendary Kong in a future match or story scene XD
Well yah better go write it then. Legendarys probably not getting in for some time so you got time :lol:
Ha if I had any confidence on my writing ability...maybe.

Though I have been curious about that, what has taken MV Kong so long to get to the KWC? Skullcrawler was added in, and his first film came out in 2017. Seems curious to me he wasn't already in the roster.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

godjacob wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:47 pm
Greyshot151 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:37 pm
Ha if I had any confidence on my writing ability...maybe.

Though I have been curious about that, what has taken MV Kong so long to get to the KWC? Skullcrawler was added in, and his first film came out in 2017. Seems curious to me he wasn't already in the roster.
If I'm remembering right, we were waiting on GVK to see something unique he had (as there really was nothing stopping us from doing Showa Kong as the lone guardian protecting the island from Skullcrawlers) and now that it is DEFINETLY been confirmed, he's getting in.

granted I thought he was perfect since 2017 but I'm not the head of the KWC

....yet.

RIP Evan.

GojiraOverlord
Samurai

Post by GojiraOverlord »

any one know where the forum form the matches that continue is at
Bagan is the best Kaiju around, change my Mind

HillyHulk
Yuki Special

Post by HillyHulk »

GojiraOverlord wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:44 pm any one know where the forum form the matches that continue is at
That would be the continuity thread.

GojiraOverlord
Samurai

Post by GojiraOverlord »

HillyHulk wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:53 pm
GojiraOverlord wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:44 pm any one know where the forum form the matches that continue is at
where can i find that
Bagan is the best Kaiju around, change my Mind

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

—Epsilon

HillyHulk
Yuki Special

Post by HillyHulk »

GojiraOverlord wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:19 pm
HillyHulk wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:53 pm
where can i find that
It should be among the threads. It's called the "KWC Official Continuity Thread".

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Will Camazotz be a future fighter? Because I'd notably love to see a match between him and Legendary Rodan.

Pterosaur vs. Bat, Reptile vs. Mammal, Prehistoric vs. Modern.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:33 am Will Camazotz be a future fighter? Because I'd notably love to see a match between him and Legendary Rodan.
What's the point when Bagorah exist?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

We’re waiting to be able to actually read the comic before deciding on him. If he’s interesting enough we’ll add him, we can have two bats, half the roster is goddamn dinosaurs
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:44 am We’re waiting to be able to actually read the comic before deciding on him. If he’s interesting enough we’ll add him, we can have two bats, half the roster is goddamn dinosaurs
Not to mention the other 1/4 mechas and 1/4 bugs.

RIP Evan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:41 amWhat's the point when Bagorah exist?
I mean we can allow two kongs, 4 mechagodzilla's, 3 King Ghidorah's, 2 Rodan's, etc.

That should be no problem.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuX
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by KaijuX »

The issue should no longer be quantity of animal-type, but distinction. Focus on that and we'll see if it's worthwhile.
KWC Co-Operations Manager and Resident Wumbo.
Soggy Noodles wrote:Anno brought back Showa ambition by doing smaller scales, morals and trying to examine humanity.

Seshita brought back Heisei ambition with absurd powerscaling, rad fights and fat asses.

Pair of kings.
MoarCrossovers wrote:We snorted crushed Morbius DVDs and snail shells