Dogora (1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Dogora, the Space Monster (1964)

Post by edgaguirus »

I enjoy it. It's an interesting film, and the cast does a fine job. This movie has more of a comic touch than other kaiju films of its day, like the shoes under the curtains and the dynamite.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

I enjoyed it quite a bit, although it's not extremely memorable.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

I liked this movie a lot. Its comical nature is a nice change of pace from many of the heavily dramatic kaiju films of that period, and Dogora itself is a pretty inventive kaiju. The crime story is entertaining, and filled with a great cast. Robert Dunham is simply hilarious here, and Akiko Wakabayashi continues to look sensationally sexy. The SPFX look great, especially in the bridge lifting scene. However, the final battle is a smidgen monotonous and I'm not...exactly sure what those things falling from the sky were supposed to be. Dogora pieces or Dogora dung?

There is one moment in this film that had me laughing my head off, though. It's such an unexpected gag that's executed almost perfectly, I don't even want to give it away. You have to see the movie for yourself.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I love Dogora, the kaiju, as I've expressed before. But I really couldn't get into the human core of this story. I'd like to see a remake of this at some point, I think it deserves it.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

I enjoy the film. I liked the monster Dogora as well as the human cast. There were some neat special effects in this film too. It's worth taking a look at.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

I haven't seen this movie in over 25 years. I recall being bored, and wishing that they would of shown a Godzilla movie instead.

Ghost the Bat
Monsterland Worker

Post by Ghost the Bat »

I enjoyed the film, the quirky characters, the car chases, the hotel scene, Dogora's weakness (Which is hilariously awesome) everything rocked. Thanks for posting this Tyler, I forgot I have Dogora on DVD, I haven't seen it in a few years now.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Because of movies like The Mysterians and Atragon, I didn't have high hopes for this film. Bought it, and it is one of my top 50 favorite Toho films. :)
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Toho has made many movies.

If this film was going to be remade, I'd like to see Dogora go after all forms of carbon- including humans. It adds that danger that was non-existent in the original.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

50 is a pretty big number, dude.
Toho's like the biggest film company in Japan. With the fact that he, as a G-fan, has a soft spot for G-films, and there being plenty of films by many great filmmakers working for Toho, I don't think that's too bad....
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Kubo
Sazer

Dogora (1964)

Post by Kubo »

Ah, yes, how could we go wrong with our jellyfish-coal-eating-wasp-venom-fearing friend? What are you thoughs on the movie? Favorite scenes, effects, etc.?
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Re: Dogora (1964)

Post by Killswitch »

I haven't seen that movie in 20+ years. It used to bore the crap out of me.

FlamingZilla23
Interpol Agent

Post by FlamingZilla23 »

I never saw the movie but he is a interesting monsters also he has a cool design.
Proud member of Toho Kingdom since 2011

VamprisArachne
Monsterland Worker

Post by VamprisArachne »

The movie from what I remember had largely a plot centered on some jewel theives and Dogora showed up occationally to make things difficult for the human character.

But I'd love to see him(it?) in a Godzilla film or game it's an interesting monster that shouldn't have been thrown away like that.

hammysammy59
G-Force Personnel

Post by hammysammy59 »

Watched the English version last week and despite a neat premise and an AWESOME monster, it really didn't click for me. While I'm sure part of it is because the disc was damaged, forcing me to skip around, I didn't really like the male lead, and even with its interesting twists on the genre, this still felt like a formulaic "monster-on-the-loose" movie. I got a replacement disc the other day, so I'm going to give this one another chance, and see if I like the Japanese version better.
Haters gonna hate

The Midnight Man
Samurai

Post by The Midnight Man »

^ I'm with you. Dogora itself is actually one of my favorite lesser known monsters, mainly due to my affinity for Lovecraftian entities. The scene where it attacks the bridge, coupled with the crazy, beautiful colors is simply fantastic. I just wish it had more to do.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

What I liked were all the destruction scenes. The Dogora model was executed near perfectly, and it's nature for eating carbon is also unique. I wish it would've proved to have been more of a threat towards humanity(except those poor, poor diamond thieves...but that's because they were stupid), but maybe a future movie will fill that hole. I think the movie could've been handled a lot better, but overall I actually like it a lot.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I really want to see this movie, but I haven't been able to get ahold of the DVD yet.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

Check on Amazon. That's where I got mine. As well as Space Amoeba. They also had Atragon, Varan, and maybe Latitude Zero. I'm getting those for Christmas or my birthday! :)

The H-Man
GPN Volunteer

Post by The H-Man »

Amazon still carries it at around $15 or so last time I looked. I saw this a few weeks back, and even though it's not my favorite non-Godzilla film, I still enjoyed it. Also interesting that it has most of the vs Mothra/Ghidorah cast as well.