Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Legion1979 »

Not looking forward to the day when the people who grew up on the Polygon trilogy start insisting they're some misunderstood masterpieces.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

While I think the creative design of Polygon MG is admirable, I also find it not visually pleasing.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:01 pm Not looking forward to the day when the people who grew up on the Polygon trilogy start insisting they're some misunderstood masterpieces.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:01 pm Not looking forward to the day when the people who grew up on the Polygon trilogy start insisting they're some misunderstood masterpieces.
I don’t think anyone will “grow up” with the anime trilogy. I just don’t see them being popular or discussed about in general. Beyond that I just don’t think they’re particularly appealing to young kids. They require a lot of attention, for too little action, and are notoriously bleak. I am one of the rare people who finds SOME POSITIVES in them (but still probably my least favorite films in the franchise) but I really can’t imagine someone picking to chose them over the MV, Shin, or any of the classic output, which are all relatively more easily accessible.

Any child is going to gravitate to any of the Toho Japanese films, or the MV.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Don't underestimate this fandom, Jelly.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

There's nothing really visually appealing about these movies. I am sure in the future some small tiny group will advocate for them. But this isn't vs Spacegodzilla, or vs Megalon where there's stuff that can appeal to this kind of audience. Godzilla SP by contrast has the kind of bright color pallets an audience that might watch anime would be interested in. Anecdote here, a very casual friend from Eastern Europe who is into anime gave it a try and thought it was alright. The visuals grabbed their attention first.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I think Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla is a prime example of a Godzilla movie that's fun for kids and boring for adults. It was actually one of my favorites as a kid! I mostly tuned out the "boring human stuff" and loved all the fight scenes. Watching as an adult, the boring human stuff is still boring and so are the battles. They're mostly just tedious beam-spam with only a couple of standout moments. In contrast, Monster Zero bored me senseless as a kid and is very engaging when watched as an adult.

Then there's the anime movies. They're boring for kids, they're boring for grown-ups, they're probably boring for any as-of-yet undiscovered sentient lifeforms who may have the misfortune of watching them in the future. I concur with LSD and Stardust, a few contrarians might try to champion them down the road but I don't think they'll ever be the movies that future adult fans "grew up with."
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Again, tou guys say that, but like I said, don't underestimate this fandom. There are people out there who have the Polygon MG (whatever the hell that even was) high on their list of favorite Mechagodzillas. I'm positive there IS an audience for these movies (as scary as that sounds) and in about 5-10 they're going to have their vehement defenders.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I suppose there could be, but how big would this group end up as? I don't see it as very large. vs Spacegodzilla is low on my tiers, but its a movie I don't mind having in the background. Like I said, there's stuff in there to be entertaining. Shiny super robot? Explosions? OP Monster? Something.

Now conceptually, maybe Mechagodzilla as a nanite empowered city is interesting? But on the visual level, lets say robots, for example. Compare the mechas in the Anime Trilogy, to say something that you typically would see in anime, such as Gundams, or something like Mazinger. There isn't much visual appeal on a large scale for fans to defend. If say the Anime Trilogy went down the route of another vibrant action series based on a tokusatsu series (for example SSSS Gridman came around the same time), and it FAILED, I would still expect a decent section of fans to be out there clamoring in its defense. Anime Trilogy as of right now probably doesn't have that kind of appeal. There would be something to defend! I suppose we're going to find out eventually!
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Nostalgia blinders can be a hell of a drug. I think the polygon trilogy is gonna find some sort of defender fan base, even if it doesn’t end up on the scale of, say, the SW prequels.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Nah, it will find one for sure. I just think (more like hope) its small. There really isn't much there to defend at large. None of the characters are likeable, and aesthetically its not that pleasing. SSSS Gridman/Dynazenon is a straight forward attempt at a kaiju show. Godzilla SP is a bit derivative for some folks, in terms of aesthetics and characters. It's not a straight forward attempt at a kaiju show. But look at how many folks openly like it compared to Polygon's movies. Night and day.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

StardustGenius wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:52 pm Nah, it will find one for sure. I just think (more like hope) its small. There really isn't much there to defend at large. None of the characters are likeable, and aesthetically its not that pleasing. SSSS Gridman/Dynazenon is a straight forward attempt at a kaiju show. Godzilla SP is a bit derivative for some folks, in terms of aesthetics and characters. It's not a straight forward attempt at a kaiju show. But look at how many folks openly like it compared to Polygon's movies. Night and day.
Precisely. Say what you might about SP, but it does have some charming characters and goes beyond just being a concept of a story.
In my eyes, Polygon’s trilogy, unfortunately, hardly takes a step outside of just being a concept. It’s a cool concept that’s never expounded upon in any meaningful way for almost 2 movies, then decides in the third one to be a bit more interesting, but still falters because the characters fall so flat.
Still, it’ll be interesting to see what defenses people try to use for it.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Very interesting. I like Godzilla SP and thought it was one of the freshest takes on kaiju in a while. I can give you a bunch of things to defend. Polygon Trilogy doesn't have much going for it in visuals, characters, or stories. Perhaps as a concept it does? But that is a big hill to climb in comparison for those movies. It isn't even the "execution" of these concepts. It's just that as a piece of anime it doesn't have what other shows or movies in the medium have done. SP and Polygon's movies both are "lets do a fresh take on the source material", and one has far more people to defend it than the other.

Since this is kaiju fan confessions, there are times I consider commissioning artists for some kind of adaptation of The Resurrection Of Godzilla or Mothra vs Bagan. Why them? There's a lot of material to work on than just a concept. Synopsis, scripts, outlines exist for these. Alas, money and time scare me away from doing it, as I am working on other projects to even consider it long term. I wanna work on my stuff first before moving onto something else.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

It could be possible that some people will be nostalgic for those films, but considering that the Monsterverse and SP all came out around the same time as those films and both are INFINITELY better, I think those are what they will be nostalgic for. I think the anime trilogy will be seen as a footnote. But none of us know, so only time will tell.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Godzilla 1954 is underrated
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:41 am Godzilla 1954 is underrated
Do tell....

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I think it's the few movies rated just about right. Yeah, explain? If anything it's really RARE to trash this movie (like Roger Ebert did in 2004!).

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

How could a film that's generally regarded as one of the most important Japanese films all time and the movie that birthed the entire Japanese tokusatsu genre be underrated?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

StardustGenius wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:05 pm I think it's the few movies rated just about right. Yeah, explain? If anything it's really RARE to trash this movie (like Roger Ebert did in 2004!).
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:16 pm How could a film that's generally regarded as one of the most important Japanese films all time and the movie that birthed the entire Japanese tokusatsu genre be underrated?
Gentlemen gentlemen, my post about 54 wasn't serious :P I was poking fun at how anything can be considered "underrated".
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It was impossible to tell, Mechagoji...