Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2022)

Post by Shenanigans »

I just hope Polygon isn't doing the animation, I don't care for that style. I'll always prefer anything 2D.
GigaBowserG wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:36 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:02 am Wait, what is that picture in the bottom right? I have not seen that before.
Bottom-right's a fan sculpt of the 2015 Gamera design. Certainly wouldn't be opposed to that design returning in this anime, though, it was super cool.
Ah, gotcha; I was going to say I never saw the design being shown off in full. Even though nothing ever came of the short, they're still pretty secretive about it. Been wanting to see more of that tentacled dude as others mentioned. (Even a name would be nice!)

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Re: Gamera Rebirth (NEW GAMERA 2023)

Post by Executive Hamster »

Thread title was cause it was announced in 2022. But whichever works better I guess.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I changed the title just to avoid confusion, and so that people don't keep asking about when it'll come out. I certainly understand your logic however.

Anyways, it's surreal that Gamera isn't a dead franchise anymore. Godzilla had a gap from 2004-2014, but that was filled with games, comics and perpetual rumors/announcements. Gamera the Brave came out in 2006, and minus that short film nearly ten years ago, that's basically been it. I think the most exciting thing about this announcement was that it was a complete unknown. With the recent 2023 Godzilla film, we knew that Toho was making a monster film with a director who loved Godzilla, during a time where Godzilla has seen a resurgence in popularity. This shouldn't be surprising.

I liked Pacific Rim the Black, but ultimately it was a bit forgettable and barren. I hope that this new Gamera film is overall less generic looking, stylized, and action oriented.

In terms of monsters, Gamera is a must, and I don't care if we get new or old. I don't have the same nostalgia for Gamera monsters as I do for Godzilla ones, so Jiger or some weirdo reappearing wouldn't excite me in the same way of Angurius coming back. Sans the Gyaos, the Gamera series has a really good track record of not reusing the same ideas, for both monsters and plotlines, so there's a lot of creative and flexible things they can do.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:35 pm Anyways, it's surreal that Gamera isn't a dead franchise anymore.
I still find that funny because just a few days ago there were some people in the TK discord CONVINCED that Kadokawa didn't care about Gamera in the slightest and we would never see anything from them again. So much so that they were getting on me for simply suggesting that we could get a Zedus figure in the future. Not even a whole film or anything. Funny how much can change in a short period of time.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:43 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:35 pm Anyways, it's surreal that Gamera isn't a dead franchise anymore.
I still find that funny because just a few days ago there were some people in the TK discord CONVINCED that Kadokawa didn't care about Gamera in the slightest and we would never see anything from them again. So much so that they were getting on me for simply suggesting that we could get a Zedus figure in the future. Not even a whole film or anything. Funny how much can change in a short period of time.
Kaiju fandom has many fans that deal in absolutes.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Not trying to demean or belittle tbeasly here, but now a lot of statements like these, just from a couple of days ago, are making me chuckle:

tbeasley wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:24 pm 16 years since his last movie Kadokawa basically goes to companies with a sign saying, 'will license Gamera for food.'
:lol:

Added in 11 minutes :
It's just dawned on me that Godzilla and Gamera films haven't had shared releases since the Showa Era. Heisei Gamera came out right after the Heisei Godzilla series wrapped up, and Brave was in 2006 right after Final Wars.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The full design should be revealed before long. At least I think they are. I'm about 80% certain it's basically the short design but we'll see.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:55 pm The full design should be revealed before long. At least I think they are. I'm about 80% certain it's basically the short design but we'll see.
I’m guessing it will at least be modelled off of the 2015 design rather than re-using the design itself.

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

any news on the monsters arts design oe what gamenra will look like beside the teaser poster.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

The silhouette makes me think of Avant Gamera honestly.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:34 pmIt's animated.
As in 3d-animated? 2d? Or a mix of both?

And where's that confirmed?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

SonOfGorgo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:34 am
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:34 pmIt's animated.
As in 3d-animated? 2d? Or a mix of both?

And where's that confirmed?
The reveal teaser was uploaded to the KADOKAWAanime YT channel.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:21 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:43 pm
Kaiju fandom has many fans that deal in absolutes.

Only Sith deal in absolutes.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

So much going on in my life but I just wanna same it's good to have you back my friend. Agreed I don't want Polygon anywhere near this.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Legendary Gojira wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:19 am
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:21 pm Kaiju fandom has many fans that deal in absolutes.
Only Sith deal in absolutes.
Kaiju fandom has many Sith.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

NSZ wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:44 amThe reveal teaser was uploaded to the KADOKAWAanime YT channel.
Okay. Is it confirmed yet what studio are working on or at least involved in it?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I thought they were going to unveil the silhouette today. Did I interpret that wrong?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:52 pm I thought they were going to unveil the silhouette today. Did I interpret that wrong?
They said between the 18th and 20th

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

There's also supposedly a "Gamera newspaper" that gives out more information about Rebirth. I wouldn't be shocked if Kadokawa doesn't want it getting leaked, but.. something tells me it might anyway lol

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^They said they were gonna reveal the SH Monsterarts figure today.