RIP Eabaker/Memorial to Eabaker

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Spuro
Keizer

RIP Eabaker/Memorial to Eabaker

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:13 pm
Spuro wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:10 pm Which podcast was this? I'm afraid I never listened to Godzilla podcasts, but I'd be willing to make an exception here.
G-Force, which is linked in Dr. Professor's signature two posts up. A good episode to listen to are the Gamera vs. Guiron, Godzilla vs. Hedorah, and pretty much any he's in.
Thank you, LSD. I'll take a listen to the Hedorah one tonight.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: RIP Eabaker/Memorial to Eabaker

Post by LegendZilla »

Did any of you people know him in person? If so, what was he like?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Evan was an inspiration, a director, a master of his craft, and a personal friend. A great man. He meant a lot to our friend group, there’s not one word that can describe the impact he had on us.

I remember when he sent me one of his scripts, it was something he wanted to be a feature length film. The story was full of his style and wit, baked in his love for horror. Evan shared a lot of memories he's had as a filmmaker, and they always inspired me. He wanted us to embrace creativity, to embrace being weird and genuine, and that's something that not many people would do.

Just a month ago he gave me detailed feedback on one of my scripts, despite the busy schedule of his work. He even said he looked forward to the day we would work together on set after I got my first gig. Damn man, meeting him in person would've meant a lot. This hurts. It hurts. Still trying to process this.

I want to share his channel, it's full of his wonder: https://youtube.com/user/kanekofan
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:24 pm I want to share his channel, it's full of his wonder: https://youtube.com/user/kanekofan
To anybody who’s going to take a stroll through this channel, I highly recommend checking out Dead Air. He sent it to me one time because he knew I’m into vampires and I was smiling ear to ear for the entire runtime. It’s a great watch.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Holy fuck.

This is just a lot to process right now.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I’ve seen him a lot around this site and though I haven’t interacted with him much, it’s still upsetting news. My condolences to all of his friends and family members, he will be missed.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

It's taken me a bit to digest this. We only ever interacted very briefly every so often but his posts always stuck out to me because of how incredibly intelligent and professional they were, and I always had this very high amount of respect for him. I never knew about the podcast he was on, so I definitely want to check it out.

However there is one very fond memory I have of him that I never forgot, and it was about two years ago. I was very excited because I had shared in a post that I was about to go on my first ever date, and Eabaker had replied with this very kind response about how those things when they first happen are very exciting and wished me luck. I can't remember exactly what he said but at some point I might go back and find that post. It was one of our only interactions that was more personal but that reply meant a lot to me, and it was something that was sometimes in the back of my mind whenever I'd see him post. He seemed like a very kind and passionate person, and I'm really gonna miss reading his posts and seeing his perspective on things.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

There's a shadow over Godzilla Day, this year. Eabaker was one of the most intelligent, articulate, and insightful people in this community. He knew film, knew what he was talking about on a far higher level than most of us here, but he never let it go to his head. He was kind and down to earth, polite to everyone, and used his knowledge to educate and enrich, never to put anyone down. He taught me a lot about filmmaking and his recommendations directed me to a whole range of outstanding horror movies I might otherwise have overlooked. He was professional as an Admin, and just a cornerstone of Toho Kingdom in general. This place has a hole that can never be filled. Worse, it's absolutely tragic that his life was cut short just as he and his wife were beginning their own filmmaking careers. Whatever stories he had to tell us, whatever works of art he might someday have put up on the big screen, will never come to be.

Instead of focusing on that, though, I say we try to remember the good he did and time we were able to spend with him. Goodbye, Eabaker. Rest in peace.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

This is a complete shock. He was still sharing his latest short film projects last month and seemed to be doing well.

R.I.P. Evan :cry:
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Apologies for not making a thread to begin with. Yesterday started with the news of him going to the hospital, and the entire day was stressful and full of worry. So when the bad news officially hit, I was kind of shell shocked.

I don't think I'll be able to properly articulate anything about this. I've been close friends with Evan for about four years, and engaged with him on here for about six. He was a kindred spirit. I never knew anyone that knew of Spider Baby, let alone loved it as much as I. We bonded over some of the weirder more neglected horror films out there. And that was Evan; as a friend put it, he was a champion for the misfits, the overlooked, the strange and bizarre that didn't get the spot light it deserved.

He was always pushing for others to be creative. Whenever I relented that I missed writing, he was always there to push me. If I ever shared a story idea, he would be there to encourage or help think of angles I never would have. It's no surprise, as he was wildly creative and talented himself.

I am on this podcast, G-Force, thats being discussed and yes as others have said, he was a force there. He would bring so much technical and analytical details to the conversation that I often felt intimidated by him, usually saying "anything I want to say, Evan will say it better". Not that he was intimidating or anything but encouraging, but his wealth of knowledge was so unique and his perspectives were so intelligently crafted that I felt out of my depth.

Seeing all of this love, this hole in the community, is reassuring in its way. He was loved and respected by all, even when disagreements were had. I was so happy when he agreed to be a moderator when I became manager and I was so happy when he agreed to take on the responsibility of administrator when shit hit the fan. He was reliable and level headed, even in times of anger or frustration.

He always felt like the best of us.

Hug your loved ones, tell them you love them. Forgive petty things, and work out the big ones. Studying at mortuary school was a constant reminder that life is painfully fragile and we can never take it for granted. I forgot this lesson. I took Evan for granted. I am going to miss him painfully.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Evan genuinely might be one of the smartest I ever knew. He knew about films I would've gone my entire life without hearing had he not brought them up. Not only that, but he was such a kind person, that even when I disagreed with him I honestly couldn't say I was mad at him at all. Even when he was pissed you could tell he wasn't the type of person that would hold on to a grudge for too long.

His films are also just super fun to watch, and in a way, strangely calming. He had a real knack for being a creative force, and it SHOWS. Bundles of fun from start to finish! And I haven't listened much to the G-Force podcast, but I'm definitely gonna try tuning in sometime later on today. Sounds like he took it by storm every time he got on.

Usually when Godzilla Day comes around, I don't think most of us really think about the G-Fans who pass away before November 3rd strikes. Today, I think we should change that. Because I'm definitely going to have Evan in my thoughts.

R.I.P Eabakar.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I was going thru the "made my day" board because I remember him posting a lot on there in recent weeks. Seems like it has been a good few weeks for his art. Somehow that just makes me sadder. But I hope his last weeks were filled with joy.
I've been around a lot of death in my life, and usually worry I'm callous to it. Yet here I am with tears in my eyes. I didn't know Evan half as well as some of you did, and I can only imagine how you're feeling.
It really is strange this tragedy suddenly happens right on the cusp of the anniversary of the movie that ultimately brought us all here together. So strange it still doesn't feel real.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Evan was a sweet and smart guy I'm super sad that he's gone. I think Maritonic said it best that when I think of Evan I think a champion of the misfits and misunderstood. Just a guy that would accept you and be kind to you no matter what. I've interacted a lot with him outside of TK and he was always a pleasure to speak to on the Godzilla series. He had a ton of knowledge and it was great to hear his perspectives on the films.

You were a gentlemen, Evan.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Wow, this is hard news to hear, even if I didn't really know him personally, he was always a real inspiration to me. He was the creme de la creme on this forum, everything he put here had so much insight and perspective, whenever I read his stuff, I knew there would be something to learn. In a lot of ways, he was a distant role model, just brimming with eloquence and knowledge, I'm going to miss him a lot. I wish the best to his friends and family and will keep them in my prayers through this troubling time.

I'm also in full support of a Memorial page for him, could there perhaps be a section that would spread some of his other work outside the forum there so people can find his work, his art, podcasts ect. in one place?
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

EternalMothra
Samurai

Post by EternalMothra »

I'm very devastated to hear about his passing. He was also a valued member of our community over on Kaiju Galaxy, and the news just broke over there. In fact, I literally just spoke with him several days ago. We were catching up and recently were making plans for him to be on my Growing Up With Godzilla show on YouTube.

I just don't know what to say or even how to process this right now. He was such a kind, creative, and inspiring human being.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

I remember Evan from back in the day on alt.movies.monster, and the virtues of his that have been praised by those who were close to him certainly apply. The fandom community has lost a valuable member, but it's not nearly the loss his family and friends must be experiencing.

Did he and his wife have any children?

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

If anybody wants to check out some of the G-Force episodes that Evan was on, here’s a list of links to what I think are some of his best showings.

Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
Gamera vs. Guiron
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Gamera the Brave
Mothra vs. Godzilla
Terror of MechaGodzilla
Favorite Human Characters, part 1
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Swung by just to say RIP to eabaker. He was a kind, intelligent person with a passion for film and art. Over the many years I've known him casually, I don't think I ever had a bad interaction with him, so he'll be sorely missed. Crazy to have seen him posting Halloween pics just days ago and then see he was gone in a flash. Tragic. Condolences to his friends and family.
Last edited by Jomei on Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

dagarah
Ronin

Post by dagarah »

Shocked and saddened beyond words to read this terrible , tragic news . My deepest sympathies and most heartfelt condolences to Evan's loved ones and to you as well , Maritonic .