Can Hollywood made a good Godzilla film?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LegendZilla
Sazer

Can Hollywood made a good Godzilla film?

Post by LegendZilla »

For over two decades, Hollywood's attempts to make a Godzilla film of its own has been met with a polarized reception at best, to universally reviled at worst. This attitude does not merely apply to the fandom at large, but the GA as well. That makes me wonder something.

Is it even possible for Hollywood to Godzilla justice? Can an American studio make a film that ranks among the all-time greats of the franchise? If so, what steps do you think should be taken to make a Godzilla film work? The most beloved Godzilla movies have always struck a nerve with audiences by tackling poignant issues Japan faces as a nation. For example, G54 explored Japan coping with post, WWII-trauma in G54, its war-crimes in GMK and government incompetence in Shin. In order to work, a Hollywood Godzilla should maybe do something similar, only with whatever issue America may faces when the time comes. For example, maybe it could be a critical examination of the United States' position as a world superpower. When Godzilla finally shows up, The whole country will reap what it has sown and the rest will be history.

Do you think that I have made a good suggestion? If so, I would be glad if you can elaborate on my idea. For example, how do you think the plot should play out and what themes and issues do you think should be explored? I look forward to discussing this with you guys. Peace out. ;)
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can Hollywood made a good Godzilla film?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don't understand the point of this topic. It implies, or at least sets up a strawman, that Godzilla (2014) and Godzilla vs. Kong, aren't generally liked, despite both having good reception both on here and outside this forum. It ignores the sucuess of the MV, and the impact other Western-products have already had on Toho, and the Japanese side of things already. It also ignores Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956) being perhaps the closest thing we have to a "true" American Godzilla film.

None of the Japanese produced Godzilla films are good because they set out to solve, or represent a problem. They hollistically represent problems and fears of various peoples at the time, varying from directors, writers, actors, and anyone else involved in the production. When a creator sets out to make something, because they think it sounds good, or smart, its set up for failure. I'll use Shin as an example, but I'm sure many people involved in the production of Shin Godzilla, were directly impacted and continually thinking about the Sendai Quake, Tsunami, and Fukushima disaster. I doubt they said, "let's capitlize on a disaster" and as a result Shin was produced.

And, Godzilla films don't need profound or "relevant" meaning. Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, Invasion of the Astro Monster, Ebirah Horror of the Deep, Son of Godzilla, Destroy all Monsters, and Terror of Mechagodzilla all lack any sort of greater societal ideas, at least in the same way Gojira focuses on Godzilla representing nuclear bombs/ fire bombings, and Serizawa representing trauma from WW2 Japanese soldiers. They focus on human characters, and monster spectacle, and most of them are well respected films.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah I’ve gotta disagree with this topic just on the basis that recent Hollywood Godzilla films have done remarkably well, all things considered.

This topic is under the pretense that Hollywood has failed to find an audience and squandered the franchise’s potential, when if anything, it’s done the opposite.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Polarized reception is inevitable. No movie made today is going to be universally loved or hated. Opinions are going to be all over the place for any number of reasons. Hollywood could put out a technically outstanding film that wows the critics and wins the Academy Awards, and a huge number of people are going to recoil from it for that reason alone.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

This is bait isn’t it?

I’m not going to say what I think because LSD said everything I can think of much better than I ever could.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:41 pm This is bait isn’t it?

I’m not going to say what I think because LSD said everything I can think of much better than I ever could.
Its not bait. It's LegendZilla being LegendZilla.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:50 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:41 pm This is bait isn’t it?

Its not bait. It's LegendZilla being LegendZilla.
I haven’t been active for a while, he’s normally like this? Because no matter how you feel about the MV, it’s super hard to ignore its success and influence.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

The fact that the MV has made it this far shows that they can make movies good enough to make the franchise profitable. There's absolutely room for improvement though, and I'm not going to go over the critiques others have said in the past, however human characters and story seem to be the biggest complaints.
Last edited by Breakdown on Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns