Will we ever see other Showa Era monsters like Gorosaurus, Ebirah, etc. in the MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gojirafan2013
Ronin

Will we ever see other Showa Era monsters like Gorosaurus, Ebirah, etc. in the MonsterVerse?

Post by Gojirafan2013 »

Last year, I heard a rumor from a user on Reddit that Toho will allow Legendary to use any monster they want without paying as long as they asked them for permission. Apparently Toho hasn’t confirmed or denied this rumor, so we don’t know for sure if it’s true or not. But if it’e true, it doesn’t automatically mean that Legendary will choose *most* of the monsters from Toho’s roster. They have to decide which monster(s) would attract general audiences and generate the most money.

Put yourself in Legendary’s shoes; you’re given the opportunity to bring in any Toho monster you want. Which ones would make the most sense the bring in?

Would you pick monsters that closely resemble real life animals like Gorosaurus, Ebirah, or Kumonga, or would you settle for monsters with more original designs like Gigan, Biollante, or Destroyah? If I were in Legendary’s shoes, I would go for the latter option of choosing monsters that not only look cooler, but can also bring a strong presence to the film(s) they’d star in. I wouldn’t choose “fodder” monsters that I could easily replace with ones that have aesthetically cooler designs (like the original Titans that we’ve gotten glimpses of so far).

What I’m trying to get at is that even if Legendary’s allowed to use any monster they want as long as they ask Toho for permission, they still have to decide whether or not it would be profitable to do so.

I think the only chance you’ll get to see Showa Era monsters like Ebirah, Gorosaurus, etc. is if they’re included as easter eggs. For example, imagine a scene in a future film where Kong and Monarch discover a graveyard in the Hollow Earth that’s similar to the one on Skull Island, only instead of having the remains of Kong’s parents, it has the remains of Kong’s ancestors fighting giant theropod dinosaurs. One of them is of a Kong breaking the jaw of a theropod in mid battle. This would not only serve as a nod to Gororsaurus, but to King Kong fighting T-Rexes in previous films.

Or how about this; let’s say there’s a scene in the next movie where Godzilla briefly battles a bunch of aquatic Titans underwater, and one of them happens to be a giant crustacean-like Titan that vaguely resembles Ebirah, only it wouldn’t actually be referred to as Ebirah in the film.

I think that’s the most you’d get if Legendary decided to pay homage to those monsters.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Will we ever see other Showa Era monsters like Gorosaurus, Ebirah, etc. in the MonsterVerse?

Post by Legion1979 »

I feel like thread is very similar to the "Ranking Each Monster On Their Chances Of Showing Up In the Monsterverse" thread, whhch funny enough was a thread you started. Seems redundant.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Re: Will we ever see other Showa Era monsters like Gorosaurus, Ebirah, etc. in the MonsterVerse?

Post by Gojira1604 »

I doubt the rumor is legit. If it was, and if was them I'd probably at least consider using Deso Tro Yah since I'd have noticed a bunch of people clamoring for him. That might mean Godzilla getting killed off but then I could just pull out his Son to replace him.
I'd also want to let the 13 something original titans shine since they're pretty cool. Toho monsters even something like Gorosaurus would steal their spotlight.
Last edited by Gojira1604 on Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gojirafan2013
Ronin

Post by Gojirafan2013 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:51 am I feel like thread is very similar to the "Ranking Each Monster On Their Chances Of Showing Up In the Monsterverse" thread, whhch funny enough was a thread you started. Seems redundant.
Sorry about that. Where can I find a threat that’s similar to the ones I’ve posted so far?

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but you don't need to make a new topic for every individual idea you have, especially when things like this can easily be brought up in other threads like general speculation or the upcoming sequel thread.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Gojirafan2013 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:20 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:51 am I feel like thread is very similar to the "Ranking Each Monster On Their Chances Of Showing Up In the Monsterverse" thread, whhch funny enough was a thread you started. Seems redundant.
Sorry about that. Where can I find a threat that’s similar to the ones I’ve posted so far?
Why would you need to? This is so similar to the other one you recently did. Just post there.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

I'd like at least one of the other Titans to be a dinosaur type monster to compliment Godzilla. The Showa era was filled with those. So far we have,
A fiery pterosaur
A moth
A Mammoth
An ape
A crab
A sea serpent
A muto
An octopus
A plant covered reptile (closest thing to Godzilla probably)
A plant-like abomination venom cat squid thing
probably
& probably a feathered reptile (Quetzal) & an sea serpent (Leviathan)
A giant theropod like beast could be cool..

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

you know a lot of the random new guys from kotm fill some of the tropes classic monsters had

me personally want some theropod looking dinosaur since everyone else both from the showa era and legendary universe are all weird ancient sunapsides reptiles not actually dinosaurs, like toho monsters besides gorosaurus and maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe anguirus arent really dinosaurs.

tbh zilla could fill a monster verse lowe tier theropod kaju place

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Gabara will become the Big Sixth before Zilla sets foot in the Monsterverse.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:15 am Gabara will become the Big Sixth before Zilla sets foot in the Monsterverse.
Haha! The Giant Condor from Ebirah will get its own feature film from Toho before that happens!

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

honestly I want skeleturtle

ya know gabara would probably fit in just make this version some weird hominid thing