Things you want to see in MV5?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Things you want to see in MV5?

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:55 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:33 am
darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:31 pm

-Make Jia, Madison, and Dr. Andrews the most competent characters
-Bring in Armor Mothra
Well, Madison and Jia already are the most competent characters in the MV, lol. Hell, Emma and Jonah are the most competent human villains in the entire Godzilla franchise.
You make good points. Also if the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy was made today, you and I both know a good portion of the fandom would yell that Kaiju films are becoming woke, and Ben Shapiro would be making videos on Mothra making Godzilla woke.

In fact, I say the monsterverse should make a ROM spin off movie just for the LOLs.
Oh, I know. I love when I see people throwing the word "woke" around and not knowing what it really means/is. That's why I am just all for a Maddison lesbian love interest.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:05 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:33 am

Well, Madison and Jia already are the most competent characters in the MV, lol. Hell, Emma and Jonah are the most competent human villains in the entire Godzilla franchise.
You make good points. Also if the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy was made today, you and I both know a good portion of the fandom would yell that Kaiju films are becoming woke, and Ben Shapiro would be making videos on Mothra making Godzilla woke.

In fact, I say the monsterverse should make a ROM spin off movie just for the LOLs.
Oh, I know. I love when I see people throwing the word "woke" around and not knowing what it really means/is. That's why I am just all for a Maddison lesbian love interest.
Honestly I think it would be great if they gave Bernie an ex-boyfriend who's even more insane than he is, like "the moon landing was fake"-"pff, you believe in the moon stuff", and they go from heated arguments over bigfoot repellant in conditioner to making out in the middle of a random scene.

(also, this isn't directly related, but isn't Godzilla Jr. canonically trans in the Toho Twitterverse?)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

How is ROM woke when they changes the most famous female kaiju into a guy? Personally I would be all for Godzilla getting a daughter to pass the torch to instead of another son but now I'm getting off topic.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

^^ Bernie had a wife and she died which is why he is the way he is.

Not saying he couldn’t have a boyfriend too….but one romance subplot per character seems pushing it for this series.

For me….I’d like to see three things:

1. The proper Godzilla theme brought back
2. Rodan and Mothra
3. Some really solid interactions between Godzilla and Kong that aren’t smash smash. I’d like to see their eventual team up use a little more thinking this time and for it to mean a little more.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:12 pm ^^ Bernie had a wife and she died which is why he is the way he is.

Not saying he couldn’t have a boyfriend too….but one romance subplot per character seems pushing it for this series.

For me….I’d like to see three things:

1. The proper Godzilla theme brought back
2. Rodan and Mothra
3. Some really solid interactions between Godzilla and Kong that aren’t smash smash. I’d like to see their eventual team up use a little more thinking this time and for it to mean a little more.
Honestly, they should watch primal as inspiration to develop Godzilla and Kong interactions. Spear and Fang have an excellent character dynamic without dialogue. While Fang's personality is based off Gennady's dog and there are pet type comedic moments, Spear and Fang definitely have an equal comrades/friend relationship as two separate characters. Minus the pet behavior moments, something very similar should be done for Kong and Godzilla. Plus Fang and Spear are pretty stoic characters so that should also work for Toho's non emotive policy for Godzilla.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I would love that.

Kong is pretty emotive but they can take it up just a tad for Godzilla. Might regret saying that but let’s give it a shot…

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla should act like Showa Godzilla did in 67-72. An asshole boss who always has your back and inspires loyalty and stenght in others.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:55 pm Godzilla should act like Showa Godzilla did in 67-72. An asshole boss who always has your back and inspires loyalty and stenght in others.
Agreed. He’s not Gamera or Kong. He does everything with a devil may care attitude. Even if he’s saving the world he’s smashing cities to do it.

He’s a dickish hero (in my mind).

One thing I love about GKOTM is that as soon as he kills KG he just starts eating his damned head.

I’m GvK he’s saving the world in his mind but hes curb stomping Kong and enjoying it on the way to do so.

My wife always says he’s the bully who picks on other bullies. Now there is some nobility to Godzilla and that’s also on display in GKOTM and GvK, but he’s an antisocial a-hole as well.

That all being said if he’s getting his butt wooped I want to feel empathy for him too.

I feel like the MV films are striking a nice balance so far. We get new shades of his personality in each film and I expect this one to be no different.
Last edited by king_ghidorah on Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

muto.knight
Ronin

Post by muto.knight »

I simply want Gareth Edwards to direct another film.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

muto.knight wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:02 am I simply want Gareth Edwards to direct another film.
Would love this but the series is so far removed from what he made at this point I think it would be borderline impossible.

I’d love to see his fingerprints on the new show. Maybe he can direct an episode at least?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Personally I just want them to continue the trend of making new monsters. In ever MV film to this point they've made new Kaiju which I always appreciate even when they use Toho classics so I hope it carries on to the new film.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

An evil member of Kong's species plz :twisted: :blackholealien:

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

GojiSquid wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:15 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:05 am

Honestly I think it would be great if they gave Bernie an ex-boyfriend who's even more insane than he is, like "the moon landing was fake"-"pff, you believe in the moon stuff", and they go from heated arguments over bigfoot repellant in conditioner to making out in the middle of a random scene.

(also, this isn't directly related, but isn't Godzilla Jr. canonically trans in the Toho Twitterverse?)

Incredibly off topic but Im just in awe of this claim not that Im against it but want to know more.

honestly I would love a gareth film since well the cat was out of the box by the ending of 2014, even by then we saw he can make a good monster fight look tangible

only problem is... the MV really REALLY doesnt have a cohesive tone and well its far removed from the groundedness of g14 but Id be up for see him do a new one

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

Janjira-York wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:34 pm Incredibly off topic but Im just in awe of this claim not that Im against it but want to know more.
https://twitter.com/Godzilla_Toho/statu ... rt-film%2F
Basically it was a video made by a trans stop motion artist, featuring Jr coming out as trans. The TOHO social media team seemed to like this enough to not just retweet it, but officially post the video themselves (with credit given to the artist). Given the track record we have in the US with corporations being very positive about LGBTQ+ stuff on social media yet being very difficult internally, it's hard to say whether or not this pro trans sentiment is reflected outside of whoever manages TOHO's english twitter.

Janjira-York
G-Force Personnel

Post by Janjira-York »

GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:13 pm
Janjira-York wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:34 pm Incredibly off topic but Im just in awe of this claim not that Im against it but want to know more.
https://twitter.com/Godzilla_Toho/statu ... rt-film%2F
Basically it was a video made by a trans stop motion artist, featuring Jr coming out as trans. The TOHO social media team seemed to like this enough to not just retweet it, but officially post the video themselves (with credit given to the artist). Given the track record we have in the US with corporations being very positive about LGBTQ+ stuff on social media yet being very difficult internally, it's hard to say whether or not this pro trans sentiment is reflected outside of whoever manages TOHO's english twitter.

See I cynically doubt that internal acceptance from TOHO because weeeell corporatons and work environment isnt the friendliest place for LGBTQ+ people but honestly good for the social media about spreading a love message and jesus fucking christ that tear on Jr got me, wasn't prepared to be that heartstrings pulling

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

A second "evil" Kong and/or Godzilla could be intriguing. Mothra adapted with natural armor could be dope. A swarm of Kamakuras...
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Red-Death Gigan wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:54 am A second "evil" Kong and/or Godzilla could be intriguing. Mothra adapted with natural armor could be dope. A swarm of Kamakuras...
Konga the titan butcher confirmed.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind. Konga is public domain I think.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

A better title.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

A greater emphasis on character development and less on dumb jokes.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Bright and vibrant set pieces.
For Emperor and Empire!