The Russian/Ukraine Conflict

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

The Russian/Ukraine Conflict

Post by Maritonic »

At the suggestion of MM, we're creating a thread solely for the ongoing discussion of Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

The rules expressed in the news thread still apply. Specifically keeping things civil amongst ourselves. As its been constantly repeated, please don't openly wish death on individuals. That doesn't mean you can't express negative opinions of political figures involved in this, just...you know. Be mature.

Please let's keep this civil and respectful, in the face of an extremely volatile situation.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Voyager
Keizer

Re: The Russian/Ukraine Conflict

Post by Voyager »

Russia won’t/can’t win. Unless they press the button.
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Voyager wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:24 pm Russia won’t/can’t win. Unless they press the button.
I think there’s going to be unforeseen prevention, if he even thinks about pressing the button *Cough China *Cough
rich Russians *Cough
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Voyager wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:24 pm Russia won’t/can’t win. Unless they press the button.
Define wine. Because if he wins Ukrainian in that way, he's going to be looking down the barrel of virtually every nation on Earth out to destroy a legitimate threat to all of civilization if they're willing to actually unleash a nuke just to win what is really a small country.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

In addition to the ongoing actual war between Ukraine and Russia, I'm concerned about the lasting implications for world order and peace. Even if Putin stops now, or takes over Ukraine, this entire ordeal has already had massive ramifications for the rest of the world. For example, Germany just made a large military investment, NATO was activated for the first time, we see what a full-blown economic blockage looks like, and a bunch of other stuff. Hell, while it's not official or anything substantial, some Japanese politicians have begun to re-think their policies on nuclear weapons and whatnot. Thankfully the current PM pushed that back and said, "nah".
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:07 pm --some Japanese politicians have begun to re-think their policies on nuclear weapons and whatnot--
:shingodzilla: *begins to rasply breathe in the background

Once Japan starts hoarding nukes like they do dakimakuras you know the worlds to close to doomsday. I've been dropping off the Ukraine thing for a bit - starting to get depressed with the stories from captured soldiers.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

SpaceG92 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:22 pm I've been dropping off the Ukraine thing for a bit - starting to get depressed with the stories from captured soldiers.
Oh don't worry, the whole thing will become infinitely more and more depressing. X_X

I support the Ukraine's right to fight back, and some of the other pushback from the United States, Nato, and basically the rest of the world, but it's important to remember war is a terrible and senseless thing.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

From AvPGalaxy
kwisatz wrote: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/breaking-huge-russian-convoy-outside-26353524

Maxar Technologies published the images and also said additional ground forces deployments and ground attack helicopter units were seen in southern Belarus, less than 20 miles north of the Ukraine border.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Well guys...If nuclear war happens this week. It was great knowing y'all. It hasn't happened yet but I feel it's coming.

I hope you're skreeonking proud Putin. You've proven we're the worst thing to have happened on this planet and it's thanks to you we're all going to die. Go down in history for the impressive feat of destroying civilization as it is. We couldn't achieve peace but rather destruction as our path.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:36 pm Well guys...If nuclear war happens this week. It was great knowing y'all. It hasn't happened yet but I feel it's coming.

I hope you're skreeonking proud Putin. You've proven we're the worst thing to have happened on this planet and it's thanks to you we're all going to die. Go down in history for the impressive feat of destroying civilization as it is. We couldn't achieve peace but rather destruction as our path.
While nuclear war is always a risk, I wouldn't be so dramatic or worry so much. I'm less concerned with the immediate conflict involving nukes, and moreso the drawn out slog which will be smaller nations, and formerly non-nuclear weapons countries trying to have nukes as a deterrent.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Everyone acting like this is the be-all and end-all for humanity is a bit silly. Humanity has had cooler heads prevail in harder times. Cuban missile crisis is one that stands out, but also in the Korean War.

If this does escalate into a nuclear war, it does not mean the end of civilisation. There’s a thing called tactical nuclear strikes, y’know. This is when nukes hit tactical targets like military positions and such. Most nuclear weapons aren’t the civ-Enders that we think of anyways. Most nukes in arsenals are below the megaton range, and in most cases far below it. A Russian nuclear strike on Ukraine would not be Kyiv nuked with the Tsar Bomba, it would be a military hold-out struck with a 50kt-250kt bomb.
For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

It’s sad that people have to interrupt their lives for this. They should be happy, having fun. Kids should be growing up and playing with their friends, not fleeing war.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/28/business ... index.html

Putin's actions are taking major tolls in the form of vicious sanctions on Russia. Just today, the ruble has decreased in value by 30% today and the Russian people are livid.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Putin’s dying (?) and he wants to go out like a warlord, to take it from another user.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:25 pm https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/28/business ... index.html

Putin's actions are taking major tolls in the form of vicious sanctions on Russia. Just today, the ruble has decreased in value by 30% today and the Russian people are livid.
Isn't that the entire point? I'd be more worried if the sanctions didn't cripple Russia's infrastructure
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:37 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:25 pm https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/28/business ... index.html

Isn't that the entire point? I'd be more worried if the sanctions didn't cripple Russia's infrastructure
Once Putin and his goons try to pull a Tianamen square in Russia upon protestors, his regime is numbered.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Russia's actions are taking major tolls in the form of vicious sanctions. It's currency, the ruble has decreased in value by 30% today and its people are livid.
Fuck. Imagine effectively losing a third of your income. They'll string Putin up themselves if this gets much worse.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:43 pm

Russia's actions are taking major tolls in the form of vicious sanctions. It's currency, the ruble has decreased in value by 30% today and its people are livid.
Fuck. Imagine effectively losing a third of your income. They'll string Putin up themselves if this gets much worse.
If he’s not already dead from ending his own life. However unlikely that is as of now.
For Emperor and Empire!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I hope to God that This war end soon and doesn’t escalate. This is insanity, I really also hope that Putin is bluffing.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:50 pm
If he’s not already dead from ending his own life. However unlikely that is as of now.
You mean dead as in dead-man-walking?