GODZILLA VS HEDORAH 2021 SHORT FILM

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: GODZILLA VS HEDORAH 2021 SHORT FILM

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Hahaha wow that was fun, Mr. Toho, that was fun!
Now do it again
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

That was pretty great. As I’d expect from the best director of Ultraman Z.

Glad we got to see FinalGoji and FinalHedo in action again, too. Really hope they do more of this kinda stuff for other kaiju and anniversaries.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I really, really enjoyed the short! The use of the EDF theme from FW was the cherry on top of the cake for me. :D
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

Ha! That was pretty fun, thanks Toho. Loved seeing the FW suits back in action and hearing the old music from GvH and FW. I’d love Toho to do a few more of these.

Welcome back Hedorah and Happy 67th birthday Godzilla! :Godzilla68:
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:36 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:44 amSimilar to the recent ride, Godziban and SP, this feels like another “how do we make Japanese Godzilla content without involving or stepping on Legendary’s toes”.
I wish they'd just step on Legendary's toes already and not give a skreeonk and go back to making their own movies whenever they feel like it, but wanting some Goji content I can actually enjoy. Legendary doesn't seem interested in making a movie I want to watch any more, the anime is...very dull, long, and seems more interest in philosophical navel gazing (Trilogy) or sci-fi physics babble (SP). Short films are kind of a cold comfort to getting full films I might actually like again, but I'll take cold comfort over no comfort. At least with these little videos of the ride or short films like this I can still enjoy new Godzilla content in at least some small capacity. It's weird to be in an age of tons of Godzilla content and not being happy with most of it, but that's just where I am now. But yeah, this looks great and I'll take what little good I can from this franchise right now.

Honestly surprised there's not more discussion for this short, kind of thought this news would blow up around here.

Added in 5 minutes 9 seconds:
imposterzilla wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:04 pm
Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:40 pm

The description on the trailer notes the 50th anniversary of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, so it's possible we'd see Gigan in a potential 2022 Godzilla Fest video.
Don't we have G vs G2 to.look forward to?
We do indeed! It's nice to be getting so many different little Godzilla treats.

Added in 2 minutes 55 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:35 pm I feel like the GFW suit is a heavily modified/fixed version of the old one. The head looks slightly different, and the arms feel a bit more bulky.
I could be wrong, but the head and neck here seems more rigid than what I remember watching Final Wars. Or maybe it's been so long since I've watched it I'm just caught off guard by the design now.

Added in 7 minutes 7 seconds:
Shenanigans wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:01 pm I was recently reminded that is not *technically* the first suitmation Godzilla battle since 2004; the CR pachinko games have filmed new footage using movie suits before, supposedly as recently as 2018 (though I haven't seen any new footage from that one). Here's a fun one from 2010 (which, despite using two Final Wars suits, does not use the FinalGoji suit):

I wonder if the new short will have beam effects like this. It'd be neat to see 2004 Hedorah using eye beams.
I really wish all those Pachinko videos were available and all in one long video or on a playlist so we'd be sure we got them all. I kind of find it hard trying to find, sort through, and know what it is with this kind of stuff since I can't read Japanese.
You could check out the recent IDW comics. They have been more traditional Godzilla and Toho kaiju type stories. Rivals has been fun so far and Monsters & Protectors is a cute kids Saturday morning action cartoon. Plus they are being done by Matt Frank, who hates the Legendary films (at least up to KOTM, haven't seen his thoughts on GvK though).

That short was fun. I liked that they knew their lore by having Hedorah being weakened by electricity and Godzilla getting his eye injured.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

It was fine I guess, cool action but super short. Felt like a final wars fight, which is appropriate I guess
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

If I had to nitpick, I wish Mothra was involved/got her own short as well, considering how this year is also her 60th.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

GigaBowserG wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:12 am
All right! It's just like old times again!

Love how Toho used both Godzilla themes, the classic one and the "drunken uncle" one from the 1970s.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

So...are these the exact same suits from Final Wars? If so, they are incredibly resilient as they would be 17 years old. If not, they are amazing reproduction's. It also shows that if they wanted to, Toho (Like TPC) could recreate showa era designed suits and make a new movie set in the Showa timeline. This still was really cool for the 67th anniversary!
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Very fun for what it was. Neither of these suits is particularly great, but I'm shocked that they still exist and it was a real treat to see them in action again. Hedorah gassing Godzilla while he was down was cool, and I enjoyed the use of '71 roars and music.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I thought it was pretty fun. Really enjoyed a lot of the shots, kinda makes me want a full length film with that kind of cinematography. Only disappointing thing is we don’t get Hedo’s eye beams, but that’s more of a nitpick than anything.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Don't have much else to add that hasn't been said already, but this was a very fun little experiment for Toho. For something that they just threw online for free, they put some clear effort into restoring the suits and constructing the miniatures and whatnot. Sure is something seeing these suits again, especially Hedorah in broad daylight. Wonderfully done! Like a deleted Final Wars scene with tons of homages to the original film.

By the way, they posted this video yesterday showing off some of the miniature work. It'd be neat to see a full "making of" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsEfSe4ENEE

And a pic -

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I loved the tracking shot, especially the sludge coming up from behind the one building. Miniature work was great, and overall a real fun experience. I’d love to see more of these though I highly doubt we’ll get another anytime soon.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Better than Final Wars, and a fun short film! We need an Ultraman style Godzilla show with all old kaiju and new ones, stat!

Also with this now out, us FMers know what that means…
Last edited by Voyager on Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:05 am That was pretty great. As I’d expect from the best director of Ultraman Z.

Glad we got to see FinalGoji and FinalHedo in action again, too. Really hope they do more of this kinda stuff for other kaiju and anniversaries.
Ah so it really was Taguchi's work! I had a feeling from the way the fight was shot.... guy's a godsend.
Jetty_Jags wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:37 am I loved the tracking shot, especially the sludge coming up from behind the one building. Miniature work was great, and overall a real fun experience. I’d love to see more of these though I highly doubt we’ll get another anytime soon.
Toho's already laying the seeds for Gigan's 50th anniversary, and considering he was in Final Wars too, I bet we'll at least get a short next year with him.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:19 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:05 am That was pretty great. As I’d expect from the best director of Ultraman Z.

Ah so it really was Taguchi's work! I had a feeling from the way the fight was shot.... guy's a godsend.
The director of the short was actually Kazuhiro Nakagawa, who was an assistant director in ShinGoji, but he did direct two episodes of Z.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Loved it for what it was. I had a huge grin when a GFW track started playing, THAT took me by surprise... And then when Godzilla did an uppercut. I got huge flashbacks to the Pipeworks games, and there was nothing wrong with that. Very fun and effective short film. And it was nice seeing the 2004 Hedorah do SOMETHING. And now, he does more than most of the cast of FW.

If I had to complain about one thing, it was the lack of the "slow mo" that the films have. IE: You can tell this was filmed at basic speed while the films have the monsters slowed down to display their size and power better.

But nah, I'm not going to bitch. It was fun, again, gave me Pipeworks vibes. Still don't like the GFW Godzilla suit though. Blegh.

Now... I truly hope we see some new Gigan action next year.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Great short.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Made my day.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I wonder if Toho will do the same thing for each of his 70’s-era foes.