The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Just watched Eraserhead with my dad, it should become a holiday tradition
He Jock it Made of Steel

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Avatar: The Way of Water.....oh, man. I fucking love this movie. While I think the first movie is better, The Way of Water is still great and I will go as far as to say that it's a masterpiece. Watching it in IMAX 3D is a must. This is the "film of the year" in my eyes.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:54 am I saw Barbarian today, and despite having most of it spoiled for me, I was still taken aback at how good the script was. The actors and production were phenomenal as well.
It would be nice to get some media shot in Detroit that isn't about how scary and shitty Detroit is though.
When I saw Barbarian in theaters, I was sitting between two friends and I ended up having to hold each of them with one arm because they were scared :lol:
mikelcho wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:06 pm Have you seen the previous film, A Christmas Story 2, where (I think) Ralph is a teenager and wants a car? I think it was released direct-to-home video.
I have not! But I might as well check it out!
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:22 pm Glass Onion was great! A worthy sequel to Knives Out. Like it’s predecessor, it wasn’t anything ground breaking, but it was a fun mystery movie, with whacky characters and commentary. It felt a little long at first, but once it got into its grove it was awesome.
I just finished Glass Onion last night, I thought it was pretty snazzy too. Daniel Craig still sounds like Foghorn Leghorn though hahahaha.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The Magnificent Seven (1960). Very good! A solid Americanization of Seven Samurai that delivers exciting action, memorable performances, quotable lines, and a high-tier score. Lots of fun.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:32 am The Magnificent Seven (1960). Very good! A solid Americanization of Seven Samurai that delivers exciting action, memorable performances, quotable lines, and a high-tier score. Lots of fun.
You probably already know this and I'm probably not saying new here, but the theme to this film is also known as "The Marlboro Song", albeit a shortened version of it. If you'd like to hear it, look up the CD Tee Vee Toons: The Commercials (1989).
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:23 am You probably already know this and I'm probably not saying new here, but the theme to this film is also known as "The Marlboro Song", albeit a shortened version of it. If you'd like to hear it, look up the CD Tee Vee Toons: The Commercials (1989).
I didn't know that, actually. I just recently started watching Westerns and have only seen a handful so far. I know almost nothing about the details of the genre, so trivia like that is definitely welcome. Thanks!

And on a related note, I discovered that Paramount+ has a large library of older Westerns, including a bunch of Gene Autry and Roy Rogers 'Singing Cowboy' films. I've been meaning to dig into that subgenre for a while, so I just started with Under Western Stars, Roy Rogers' first starring role. Very fun! I can definitely see why this kind of movie blew up in the '30s and '40s. You get a musical and a cowboy adventure in one short, convenient little package. I'll be watching a lot more of these, for sure.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:39 am]

I didn't know that, actually. I just recently started watching Westerns and have only seen a handful so far. I know almost nothing about the details of the genre, so trivia like that is definitely welcome. Thanks!
I recommend Tombstone and Unforgiven for Westerns. Grade-A stuff right there.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:28 pm I recommend Tombstone and Unforgiven for Westerns. Grade-A stuff right there.
Yeah, I've seen the Dollars Trilogy, Hang 'Em High, and High Plains Drifter, all of which were great. Anything with Clint Eastwood is on the watch list. Tombstone wasn't on my radar, but having looked it up, it definitely is now.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:19 pm Yeah, I've seen the Dollars Trilogy, Hang 'Em High, and High Plains Drifter, all of which were great. Anything with Clint Eastwood is on the watch list. Tombstone wasn't on my radar, but having looked it up, it definitely is now.
Blazing Saddles. Even if you’ve seen it, see it again.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I only ever watch Casablanca when I'm drinking and in my feels, thus tonight I watched Casablanca. What a beautiful picture. Probably the greatest piece of propaganda ever crafted.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

BumbleBee
Ronin

Post by BumbleBee »

I watched "violent night"

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I recently rewatched Mindhunter with a friend. It's become one of my favorite TV shows and I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in criminal psychology, true crime or serial killers. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that it will be renewed for a third and final season in the near future. My hope is that said season would focus primarily on the hunt for Robert Hansen*, and then the last episode or two would have a 20 year time jump and involve BTK finally getting arrested and profiled, while also showing what's become of our protagonists.

*If you don't know who he is, look him up. Seriously fucked up even by serial killer standards. He was also profiled by John Douglas in the Mindhunter book, which would make him a perfect pick for the show.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

BumbleBee
Ronin

Post by BumbleBee »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:53 pm I recently rewatched Mindhunter with a friend. It's become one of my favorite TV shows and I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in criminal psychology, true crime or serial killers. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that it will be renewed for a third and final season in the near future. My hope is that said season would focus primarily on the hunt for Robert Hansen*, and then the last episode or two would have a 20 year time jump and involve BTK finally getting arrested and profiled, while also showing what's become of our protagonists.

*If you don't know who he is, look him up. Seriously fucked up even by serial killer standards. He was also profiled by John Douglas in the Mindhunter book, which would make him a perfect pick for the show.
Thanks for sharing your reviews about it. I started downloading season 1.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

BumbleBee wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:47 pm Thanks for sharing your reviews about it. I started downloading season 1.
Hope you enjoy it! Along with the movie Zodiac, it's put me on a real true crime kick these past couple months.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:21 pm
BumbleBee wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:47 pm Thanks for sharing your reviews about it. I started downloading season 1.
Hope you enjoy it! Along with the movie Zodiac, it's put me on a real true crime kick these past couple months.
If you get a chance, listen to last podcast on the left. I think you will enjoy it.

Anyways, I watched Guillermo del Toro's Pinnochio. Loved it. Great mix of serious real-world issues and events (war and religion) with childhood whimsy and magic. The style worked well, and I loved it. Sort of always glad for another disney property, that wasn't wholly original, to be taken down a pedestal. I'm glad del Toro is reaching so much mainstream sucuess off of films. I never conciously consider it, but considering how consistenly he's made so many great movies its strange we don't see him up there with Spielberg or Kubrick.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

I watched The Last of Us premiere last night and was actually very impressed. It's true to the style and tone of the games, and it seems to be sticking to the story with only minor deviations. That's all I can ask for. It's honestly nice to see a video game adaptation that just adapts the goddamn game. For some reason, most adaptations try to tell a new story and fail at it miserably; Halo and Assassin's Creed are both examples. LOU has one of the best stories I've ever seen in a video game and if this series continues to do it justice, it might become one of my all-time favorites.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Just watched M3GAN last evening and gotta say it was a very entertaining movie! Don't expect a horror movie similar to Chucky, it's something way more different. I very much enjoyed how the movie was more about how bad parenting and parking your child in front of a phone (or in this case a living doll) can lead to a very strong an destructive force. It was especially thrilling as Cady, the main child, is a victim, yes, but also very soon becomes a threat for the main character and everyone around.

M3GAN has a vibe like Jurassic Park, it all starts so well and you see all the cool and good things it (Megan) does. But then all goes downhill. Mostly because some things are just not supposed to exist and also because of human mistakes.

I'm so close to calling it one of the best movies I've seen this year - yet this was just my second theatre visit in 2023!

SPOILER: And it was even more a pleasure to see how Megan has never been an evil doll but just got confused. Her character progression portrays quite well the problem of how to teach an AI how to act humanly while still retaining the full control over it - and also how it isn't easy to teach an Ai to differ between right and wrong.
Also, Megan singing Titanium to Cady may sound pretty cringy on the paper, in the movie it managed to be one of the weirdest yet coolest scenes, imo.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:53 pm I recently rewatched Mindhunter with a friend. It's become one of my favorite TV shows and I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in criminal psychology, true crime or serial killers. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that it will be renewed for a third and final season in the near future. My hope is that said season would focus primarily on the hunt for Robert Hansen*, and then the last episode or two would have a 20 year time jump and involve BTK finally getting arrested and profiled, while also showing what's become of our protagonists.

Thanks to your reccomendation I watched this with my wife in a span of two weeks. Really enjoyed it a lot. The main characters were compelling, and there were so many great and tense moments. My only issue is that as of the end of season 2 it's clearly building up towards something which I don't know if it'll be resolved or not. I hope they make a season 3 at least to resolve things.

Anyways, I also watched Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
Absolutely amazing. Full of comedy, heart, and surprisingly...great action. Easy reccomendation to everyone. It's an easy watch and never gets stale. Great character designs all around. Great casual viewing experience if you want to watch something enjoyable for an hour and a half.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Been watching The Last of Us and Poker Face. Both shows have surprised me, the production is quite stellar and neither of them have really wasted any scenes. Hope they continue to be a solid watch.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:13 pm Thanks to your reccomendation I watched this with my wife in a span of two weeks. Really enjoyed it a lot. The main characters were compelling, and there were so many great and tense moments. My only issue is that as of the end of season 2 it's clearly building up towards something which I don't know if it'll be resolved or not. I hope they make a season 3 at least to resolve things.
I'm glad you liked it! I'm also really hopeful that we'll get a third season to tie everything off.
Anyways, I also watched Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
Absolutely amazing. Full of comedy, heart, and surprisingly...great action. Easy reccomendation to everyone. It's an easy watch and never gets stale. Great character designs all around. Great casual viewing experience if you want to watch something enjoyable for an hour and a half.
One of my best friends recently told me the same. I plan to watch as soon as it becomes available on streaming. Funny because I didn't think much of the first Puss in Boots movie (or the last two Shrek movies for that matter). Always nice when a sequel tops the original.

Added in 2 minutes 41 seconds:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:36 pm Been watching The Last of Us and Poker Face. Both shows have surprised me, the production is quite stellar and neither of them have really wasted any scenes. Hope they continue to be a solid watch.
I'm honestly blown away by The Last of Us. First two episodes were just a damn solid adaptation of the game. Third episode deviated significantly... and told an amazing self-contained story. Few shows have ever moved me to tears; TLOU has managed twice in just three episodes.