Best And Worst Official Kaiju Redesigns

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: Best And Worst Official Kaiju Redesigns

Post by Voyager »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:48 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:46 pm It’s simply too Earthly looking.
I do agree with your statement that it looks too much that it’s from earth rather than space, but I think this is a safe bet they did rather than going full out on the alien design
I would have them just simply modernise the Showa Design.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I think you guys are crazy far as it being too "earth" looking. Then again I also don't think a Ghidorah is shit if it lacks manes like others here for some reason.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

With the exception of the Anime Trilogy one, All the Ghidorahs look like they could be from Earth.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:58 pm I think you guys are crazy far as it being too "earth" looking. Then again I also don't think a Ghidorah is shit if it lacks manes like others here for some reason.
Not just the manes… the Showa horns too!

MV Ghidorah looks like every dragon in movies ever.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:33 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:58 pm I think you guys are crazy far as it being too "earth" looking. Then again I also don't think a Ghidorah is poop if it lacks manes like others here for some reason.

Okay now this is just an overgeneralization lol

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I think anything generic about the '19 Ghidorah design was offset by how much personality he had. That's one credit I'll give the movie, Ghidorah was sinister and menacing, and that's all I see when I see him.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:33 pm
godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:58 pm I think you guys are crazy far as it being too "earth" looking. Then again I also don't think a Ghidorah is shit if it lacks manes like others here for some reason.

That's exactly my problem with it. It looks like it could have walked out of Game of Thrones or some CGI American fantasy movie.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Can we go to get over with this MV Ghidorah design crap, at this point it’s tiring to talk about, let’s just agree to disagree

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Not before I butt in! Personally, I am in the crowd that MV Ghidorah looks way too Earthly and generic dragon-esque but everything else is great.

Okay, now we're done?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:40 pm Not before I butt in! Personally, I am in the crowd that MV Ghidorah looks way too Earthly and generic dragon-esque but everything else is great.

Okay, now we're done?
Yes, let’s move on

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Speaking of the MV, they did Rodan justice. The 56 Rodan was well designed, but MV took the best parts and made it somewhat demonic. It was a great update for the kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:53 pm Speaking of the MV, they did Rodan justice. The 56 Rodan was well designed, but MV took the best parts and made it somewhat demonic. It was a great update for the kaiju.
Best design of the guy, in my opinion. I really hope we can get to see him again in future MonsterVerse outings.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:01 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:53 pm Speaking of the MV, they did Rodan justice. The 56 Rodan was well designed, but MV took the best parts and made it somewhat demonic. It was a great update for the kaiju.
Best design of the guy, in my opinion. I really hope we can get to see him again in future MonsterVerse outings.
I have to agree here to his design is certainly one of the best. I really do wonder how the MV can with the Other monsters from the Showa Era

redmonsterbaragon
Ronin

Post by redmonsterbaragon »

Every monster in singular point and kaiser ghidorah.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

redmonsterbaragon wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:07 am Every monster in singular point and kaiser ghidorah.
Is what?

redmonsterbaragon
Ronin

The worst redesign.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

redmonsterbaragon wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:07 pm The worst redesign.
Ok but would you care to explain why in your opinion, they’re the worst redesign?

redmonsterbaragon
Ronin

I just think they look ugly like jj he looks too lanky and kummonga is just ugly in general.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

First that came to mind for me was Final Wars Hedorah. A downgrade all around from the perfection of the original. Not a kaiju suited at all to the kung-fu reimaginings of that film.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

There's a long list but despite my dislike of the film I am very fond of Anime Gigan from GFW (takes the original and makes pretty much a perfect revamp), pretty much every Heisei Kaiju besides Mothra (plushie girl, not that bad but really just a missed chance, especially compared to how well they did Battra)

and on the other side, GFW Godzilla, Shisa and Anguirus really irk me and GKOTM Ghidorah could have done so much better (the concept art sometimes implements an idea I've had since high school... Ghidorah's wings as multiple pterosaur wings forming the famous fan shape), GKOTM Mothra is too wasp or mantislike and ends up looking... evil?

I'll also always be puzzled by micro-head GKOTM Godzilla...
Last edited by Omegamorph on Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.