Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995) vs. Godzilla (2014)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

Which did you like more?

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)
77%
Godzilla (2014)
23%

Total votes: 22

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Re: Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995) vs. Godzilla (2014)

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Godzilla 2014, has strangely really grown on me post KOTM. The main problems with the lifeless Brody is still here, and the film makes some really dumb mistakes, like not letting Godzilla fight the Muto in Hawaii, but I think the film is technically very good. Lots of nice sets, shots, and interesting visuals.

Gamera is shorter, and the pacing is tighter. I feel like Gamera is the type of film I could put on and watch any time and get some enjoyment out of it, while I know parts of G14 will be a chore to sit through.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995) vs. Godzilla (2014)

Postby eabaker » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:22 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Godzilla 2014, has strangely really grown on me post KOTM. The main problems with the lifeless Brody is still here, and the film makes some really dumb mistakes, like not letting Godzilla fight the Muto in Hawaii, but I think the film is technically very good. Lots of nice sets, shots, and interesting visuals.

Gamera is shorter, and the pacing is tighter. I feel like Gamera is the type of film I could put on and watch any time and get some enjoyment out of it, while I know parts of G14 will be a chore to sit through.

You pretty much exactly sum up my feelings.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Return to “Monster Manor”