Who could have an R rated film?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Re: Who could have an R rated film?

Post by Tarbosaurus »

I'd say a neat idea be the after effects of humans finding out publically how many titans/kaiju are out there and following a specific kaiju for one reason or another. Could go smaller scale and perhaps start with a young (whale size perhaps) kaiju who grows over the course of the film. Could also set it in the distant past and make it a period or ancient civilization piece. If treated as a disaster or horror film, R can work. Maybe a sorta-of-remake of Rodan from the 50s so you can have some creepy scenes with Meganulons.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Ivo-goji wrote:Well, any of them could, but that doesn't mean any of them should.
G2000 wrote:I think good R-rated kaiju films are doable, both serious and as comedies. The trick would be the execution.
This. A story not shying away from the horror of a kaiju attack, one that shows the death and destruction, even some serious blood (not necessarily gore, not necessarily not either) could be a very interesting concept.
G2000 wrote:It's been on record for about ten years now that Tarantino has a concept for a Godzilla film in his head, based around the idea that Japan would inevitably come to worship Godzilla as a god after he saves them time and time again. Depending on how he did it, I think that might be able to pass as a good R-rated Godzilla film.
I would love something like this. One of the most interesting, and completely unexplored concepts in Pacific Rim were the Kaiju Cults. I absolutely believe that if giant, literal physics-defying monsters showed up, they would be worshiped as gods by at least a small number of people and I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a sizable minority of humanity in the end. And I'm sure some of them would have less than pleasent world views based on the way their "gods" tramp across the globe. In such a world, especially in a Tarantino-esque film, I could easily see some such cults giving blood/human sacrifices to their kaiju god of choice. I could even see them as full on death cults, worshiping the death and destruction wrought by their gods, maybe even killing themselves as sacrifice and/or being in the path of destruction to be killed by their god some sort of twisted sacrament.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

A movie about the Blob could easily work in the monsterverse, just stick to the original story where came from a crashed meteor. Have it attacking a small town, and a Monarch team shows up to deal with it.

Since the Blob is attacking and devouring people, it would have to be R-rated. That way you could have all violence and gory you can get away with.

All that's assuming that the Monsterverse will be using more than King Kong, Godzilla and the rest of Toho's kaiju.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

A War of the Gargantuas remake could definitely be an R.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:A War of the Gargantuas remake could definitely be an R.
Oh god!

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Maybe a remake of Rodan that included Megaguirus could work if one played up the horror aspect with meganulons and meganuera killing people as it make sense for a smaller monster to attack people. You can still have a big kaiju fight with lots of destruction with Rodan fighting Meguirus given their respective flying about is sure to cause massive shockwaves. For timing, one could set it in the distant past and also make it a period piece.
Last edited by Tarbosaurus on Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Tarbosaurus wrote:Maybe a remake of Rodan that included Megaguirus could work if one played up the horror aspect with meganulons and meganuera killing people as it make sense for a smaller monster to attack people. You can still have a big kaiju fight with lots of destruction with Rodan fighting Meguirus given their respective flying about is sure to cause massive shockwaves. For timing, one could set it in the distant past and also make it a period piece.
That helmet with blood is what makes me think Rodan could have an R film if he got a solo spinoff.

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Living Corpse wrote:
Tarbosaurus wrote:Maybe a remake of Rodan that included Megaguirus could work if one played up the horror aspect with meganulons and meganuera killing people as it make sense for a smaller monster to attack people. You can still have a big kaiju fight with lots of destruction with Rodan fighting Meguirus given their respective flying about is sure to cause massive shockwaves. For timing, one could set it in the distant past and also make it a period piece.
That helmet with blood is what makes me think Rodan could have an R film if he got a solo spinoff.
Helmet? Sorry I might be a bit behind on material released.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Tarbosaurus wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
99.99% sure he was referring to the original.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Maritonic wrote:
Tarbosaurus wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
99.99% sure he was referring to the original.
Oh derp, my mistake.
Last edited by Tarbosaurus on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HillyHulk
Yuki Special

Post by HillyHulk »

Maybe a movie about Hedorah. Play up the acidic part of his body so the tar could melt people in a pretty grisly fashion like some parts in Godzilla vs Hedorah did. Also, unlike his debut film, make it a more serious film similar to how the radioactive nature of Godzilla was handled in Gojira. I think it would be a pretty simple movie to make R rated (plot wise anyway).
Last edited by HillyHulk on Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mind if I made a thread as to which Kaiju generally speaking could use an R-rated film, not just confined to the Monsterverse?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Make A R rated King Ghidorah film. Aliens are having a civil war and one side wins after created monsters and enslaves the losing side. Main character sees his family being beaten, raped ect and eventually creates King Ghidorah, Ghidorah goes out of control and destroys the rival monsters and the planet.

Movie ends with Ghidorah flying off into space and with his crackling sounding like evil laughs.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

An R rated Rodan film would fit
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

Rodan, Hedorah, Destroyah are my best picks but honestly any kaiju would work in a well made R rated film. Toho just need some more balls to go there, they're already being more creative with their movies in Japan so I'd love for them to make or allow Legendary to make an R kaiju movie.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Spoiler:
that Mammoth DESERVES its own rated R movie
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

^ The what?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Spoiler:
They can call it
Spoiler:
Big Wooly
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

miguelnuva wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Spoiler:
They can call it
Spoiler:
Big Wooly
:shrug:
I’d watch it

Thinking about it though, I think I see where Legendary is heading with the series-
Spoiler:
After nuking himself in King Of The Monsters, Dr. Serizawa myseteriously returns from the dead as a radioactive giant with a laser eye patch and Oxygen Destroyer in his hand
Kong and Godzilla could team up to fight him :^)

Let’s see an R-Rated movie about that, huh.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

Kaeyas
GPN Volunteer

Post by Kaeyas »

I just don't see ANY Godzilla movie EVER getting an R rating simply for the fact that (as previously stated multiple times above) a very large portion of the audience is indeed children. However with that said, I DO believe you could make a kaiju movie with an R rating and it still be a great movie. I wouldn't want it just so we could hear people drop f-bombs and be able see "steamy procreation" scenes from them though. I would want it solely to show more of what actually happens to the people as well as the kaiju because let's face it. In THAT retrospect, ANY Goji or Toho movie could be/could have been an R if they showed in detail the deaths along with blood and violent wounds inflicted on and by various kaiju. If any of the Toho kaiju (or any other Kaiju for that matter) were real and someone made a movie out of multiple found footage sources documenting both the destruction/death of the city/populace as well as the fights between the kaiju themselves, I guarantee it would get an R rating. As far as kaiju who would fit the niche, pretty much any of them but at the top (IMO) Would be Godzilla himself for obvious reasons, King Ghidorah(he is a planet killer after all), Hedorah(it wouldn't have taken much to make G vs. H into an R rated horror flick plus by his very nature, Hedorah causes some pretty horrifying deaths), Destoroyah(a creature that's basically a walking Oxygen Destroyer..need I say more?) And then probably Megaguirus (and her brood..think the meganulons from Rodan but more graphic), perhaps Rodan (if he goes back to his roots and starts eating people again) and Gigan (only because he has sooo many ways to make other kaiju bleed and potentially chop them up into gory little pieces) but yeah any of them really. Even Gabara and Megalon...Minilla too ::Minilla enters a quiet village, trips over a goat and squashes some poor kid like a bug:: "oh no! Sorry fella! Didnt hurtcha did I?" He says as he peers down to the splattered remains that was once a human being. Yup even Goof- er Minilla can be a rated R superstar :lol:
Dedicated To Darkness..