Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by miguelnuva »

My brother asked me today what Monsterarts did I have because he wanted tonget me one for Xmas. During the talk he said imagine if Tamashii decided to create a 8 inch monsterverse line and started over with Heisei.

While a larger scale might be intreasting I know that would probaly be a nail in the coffin to someone.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

The Light Sound Music Godzilla WAS eight inch, and while I loved it and was disappointed when the Shin one never got made, it didn't seem to catch on. Now Super7 is doing that scale, so that part of the market is 'occupied'. Monsterarts could easily do it anyway, but I doubt they'd bother as it would take away from their built in fandom of those who want the same scale and styling.

That being said, I made Music Box Godzilla my 'main' one and tend to buy around it, though I'm not scale or movie obsessed, so I'm really wanting to find out how big Chogokin Kiryu really is.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Platypus Prime wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:17 pm The Light Sound Music Godzilla WAS eight inch, and while I loved it and was disappointed when the Shin one never got made, it didn't seem to catch on. Now Super7 is doing that scale, so that part of the market is 'occupied'. Monsterarts could easily do it anyway, but I doubt they'd bother as it would take away from their built in fandom of those who want the same scale and styling.

That being said, I made Music Box Godzilla my 'main' one and tend to buy around it, though I'm not scale or movie obsessed, so I'm really wanting to find out how big Chogokin Kiryu really is.
If its the same size as the Chogokin Gipsy Danger it should look great with the Music box Goji 89.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I was going to go with the Suoer7 Mechagodzilla for size but if I can get close to Music Box G in height, WITH lights to match, even without sound it would be awesome if not insanely priced.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Happy Black Friday everyone. On the fence on buying it but wanted to let you guys know that Gamestop has a pretty steep discount on MG21. Like $70 lol. Happy bargain hunting

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Pretty sick but at 35,200 JPY, well... let's just say they put my indecisiveness to an end, haha. Ah well.
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:26 am Happy Black Friday everyone. On the fence on buying it but wanted to let you guys know that Gamestop has a pretty steep discount on MG21. Like $70 lol. Happy bargain hunting
Yeah I got mine a few months back when it was on sale for like $80 or something; was going to skip it but it was too cheap. Its fragile, but its actually pretty fun IMO.

I remember when it first went up for preorder and like instantly sold out everywhere; people where panicking about whether or not they'd be able to get it, desperately waiting for others to cancel their preorders so they could grab one, etc... now they can't give the damn things away lol.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

That's about what reissue Mecha-King Ghidorah is, right? But yeah...definitely something to think about. If I did, I would basically have to skip a new Gamera. And a lot of other stuff, too...

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Yep I had the same thought of “ooh that’s high” until I looked up the conversion. About $250 before shipping, which is what I’m about to pay for MKG in a few months. And this is supposedly 8 inch scale I think? Expensive but not out of line with similar products.

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

Monster X arrived just now, and it seems like it's a pretty good figure. The tail is a little flimsy at the end, so it falls off a little too easily, but I don't have any complaints besides that.

Monster X's design kind of vaguely looks like a Xenomorph with some ceremonial armor though, now that I think about it. That's not unique to the figure, it's just something that occurred to me while I was looking at it and after rewatching Final Wars yesterday. It's also not a complaint about the design.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Monster X just arrived today. Sculpt and paint are top gun, prolly the best sculpt outside of a Godzilla in a while. Paint is also fairly clean. Didn't see any real issues with mine. Articulation is as good as I hoped, but man... The tail. It might be blasphemy, but this was a release that should have just used bendy wire. I can't move this at all without it falling apart.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

The loose and flimsy tail seems to be a pretty consistent issue with this otherwise great item. Heard it from several others and mine has the same issue. The tail literally needs a stand to hold any upright position.
Size DOES matter!

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

How is it attached? I had a similar issue with a few of SCV Ghidorah's ball joints, I let the loose part fall off, then painted the ball with a thin layer of acrylic, let it dry totally, and then used a hair dryer on the socket to let me press it back in without scraping off my coating. Once it all was cool, it helped a lot.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Wow, he actually comes with all of the original accessories (plus a new arm numb). Looks very nice, though I still feel for those who got the original.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Ganera is $88. Won't break the bank too bad.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Looks like the same neck. Only difference is the actual head sculpt (and the blown off arm nub). Hmm…. $88 is less than the original.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I hate the cut off arm, for the same reason I hate the bloody cuts or 'battle damage' wounds on many figures nowadays. But unlike the cuts, this is an entirely separate part that can be left off, so I could easily just put it in a box or something. I love the rest of it, especially the shell arrangement. I wish it came with a fireball effect but I can fix that easily.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Why hate the bloody stump? It’s directly from the climax of the film. And it’s an optional part that you can choose to use or not.

I’m still torn on this one. I would love to have the newer, better version. But I was already quite happy with the old version and I don’t love the idea of dumping more money into it just for a head and bloody arm stump.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

No logical reason at all, I admit. I've had some issues with injuries and a resistance to anaesthetics that's made surgery a real problem before. Seeing open wounds just hits me wrong, so I wish they'd added a fireball instead. It's totally irrelevant to the topic, I'm sorry I brought it up. I love everything else about it, I'm trying to see how I can budget it in.

LiamNeesons
Samurai

Post by LiamNeesons »

Not sure why people are acting like $250 for a 9” figure with die cast, lights and all of those switch outs is a shocking deal breaker. Pretty much falls right in line with the rest of the brand. Anime-Export had early bird preorders for $208.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Is anyone acting like it’s a shocking dealbreaker? The discussion I see above (including my own) os that it’s an expensive figure but it’s not unreasonable compared to other similar releases.

Also, I think many (myself included again) had the initial gut reaction seeing ¥35,200 and automatically thinking “$350?!” Because for many years the conversion was really close to ¥100=$1.