The Kaiju Boom

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

The Kaiju Boom

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

History has repeated itself, giant monster movies are cool again!
It seems ever since Pacific Rim hit the screens in 2013, we’ve had a sudden surge of giant monster flicks with Godzilla, Colossal, Kong: Skull Island, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Rampage, and the many more in the upcoming years, I thought we could get a topic going for this “Renaissance of Kaiju Films”. It’s truly a great time to be a fan of the genre, let’s hear what you have to say about this.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: The Kaiju Renaissance

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Inevitably, some Debbie downer is going to comment and explain that “frankly”, anyone who thinks it’s a ‘renaissance’ is going too far and is stupid.

All I can say though is that it truly feels like the best time to be a kaiju fan. Maybe not since even the 60s has there been this much going on, particularly in the west.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I prefer the expression "Kaiju Boom"; that's usually how we describe the surge of tokusatsu related media that kicked off in the 60s.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Ivo-goji wrote:I prefer the expression "Kaiju Boom"; that's usually how we describe the surge of tokusatsu related media that kicked off in the 60s.
Who’s “we” :lol:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Ivo-goji wrote:I prefer the expression "Kaiju Boom"; that's usually how we describe the surge of tokusatsu related media that kicked off in the 60s.
Who’s “we” :lol:
Users on this discussion board, other discussion boards, professional authors, and most notably Minoru Kawasaki, the director of the second Guilala movie.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:History has repeated itself, giant monster movies are cool again!
It seems ever since Pacific Rim hit the screens in 2013, we’ve had a sudden surge of giant monster flicks with Godzilla, Colossal, Kong: Skull Island, Pacific Rim: Uprising, Rampage, and the many more in the upcoming years, I thought we could get a topic going for this “Renaissance of Kaiju Films”. It’s truly a great time to be a fan of the genre, let’s hear what you have to say about this.
What the MCU did for superheroes. Pacific Rim and the MonsterVerse did for giant monsters/kaijus. ;)

And folks here thought kaiju were a stigma to the general audience. Besides like that mattered anyways if the general audience could find a gun-wielding talking raccoon and humanoid tree cool, then why not kaiju? :lol: :roll:

See what happens if you never try? Look what it accomplished. 8-)
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

I agree with Ivo-Goji and think Kaiju Boom is a more appropriate term. Giant monsters have a cycle of becoming popular and getting media consistently cranked out for several years, before falling out of fashion for a while where releases are fewer and farther between, then eventually re surging again. Boom! decline, Boom! decline, Boom!

But besides that, it's obviously a great time to be a fan of the genre! So many good films, shows, books, and comics over the past couple years, and I'm very excited for some of the stuff on the horizon! Definitely gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Kaiju Boom

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Shin Godzilla is still my favorite film overall to come out of this "Kaiju Boom", with Kong: Skull Island being my favorite modern American monster film of this decade.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Shin Godzilla is still my favorite film overall to come out of this "Kaiju Boom", with Kong: Skull Island being my favorite modern American monster film of this decade.
Same. :)
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Sorry, did the title of this thread get changed because of someone arguing that the description of a previous era (which could not have been called a "renaissance" to begin with, since it was the genre's first boom) should also be applied to the current one?

If we had "the kaiju boom" in the 60s, it hardly makes sense to refer to the current crop of movies as "the kaiju boom," too.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:If we had "the kaiju boom" in the 60s, it hardly makes sense to refer to the current crop of movies as "the kaiju boom," too.
Indeed; 'The Kaiju Boom, Two' would be much more appropriate. ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

eabaker wrote:Sorry, did the title of this thread get changed because of someone arguing that the description of a previous era (which could not have been called a "renaissance" to begin with, since it was the genre's first boom) should also be applied to the current one?

If we had "the kaiju boom" in the 60s, it hardly makes sense to refer to the current crop of movies as "the kaiju boom," too.
Yeah I agree with this, seems a bit weird.

I’m just curious if beyond all the Godzilla and Legendary stuff if more companies will step up to the plate.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Maritonic wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Shin Godzilla is still my favorite film overall to come out of this "Kaiju Boom", with Kong: Skull Island being my favorite modern American monster film of this decade.
Same. :)
I prefer Skull Island to Shin, but i do think both films were the two best kaiju films made in the past 10 years.
It feels strange living in this "kaiju boom", I wonder how long it will last.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I’m just curious if beyond all the Godzilla and Legendary stuff if more companies will step up to the plate.
They might well assume that the market is stretched about as far as it'll go.

As it stands, I don't see this as any bigger a boom/renaissance than we got in the 90s, with Toho doing a a kaiju movie per year (as well as Yamato Takeru), Daiei doing to Gamera trilogy, and TriStar putting out their G-flick.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I’m just curious if beyond all the Godzilla and Legendary stuff if more companies will step up to the plate.

As it stands, I don't see this as any bigger a boom/renaissance than we got in the 90s, with Toho doing a a kaiju movie per year (as well as Yamato Takeru), Daiei doing to Gamera trilogy, and TriStar putting out their G-flick.
I think the difference is the degree to which it’s being embraced by mainstream American studios, and the amount of money that some Hollywood productions are willing to put in now - in the 90s, there was no western embrace beyond GINO. You had to wait to get the Heisei Godzilla and Gamera films on VHS.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:

While I agree, I think the people who are claiming this is a new "boom" were too young to really be adults when that happened (I COULD BE WRONG DON'T ATTACK ME). That, plus Rampage and Pacific Rim, is I think is what's causing this.

I just think it's a good time to be a Kaiju fan. Wouldn't claim this is some huge boom, but I'm not complaining either.

I'm just sitting here in the corner, waiting to hear a new Gamera get announced.

Added in 36 seconds:
KaijuCanuck wrote: I think the difference is the degree to which it’s being embraced by mainstream American studios, and the amount of money that some Hollywood productions are willing to put in now - in the 90s, there was no western embrace beyond GINO. You had to wait to get the Heisei Godzilla and Gamera films on VHS.
Good point. Didn't think about the accessibility factor either.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I think the difference is the degree to which it’s being embraced by mainstream American studios, and the amount of money that some Hollywood productions are willing to put in now - in the 90s, there was no western embrace beyond GINO. You had to wait to get the Heisei Godzilla and Gamera films on VHS.
Yeah, in terms of mainstream American audiences, this is definitely a more visible phenomenon.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

eabaker wrote:Sorry, did the title of this thread get changed because of someone arguing that the description of a previous era (which could not have been called a "renaissance" to begin with, since it was the genre's first boom) should also be applied to the current one?

I agree, which is why I prefer and have been sticking with the "Kaiju Renaissance" term.
eabaker wrote:They might well assume that the market is stretched about as far as it'll go.

I disagree, I think this one is noticeably bigger.

Arguably the biggest year of the '90s Boom (which was less a "Kaiju Boom" and really more a "Godzilla Boom" IMO) was 1995 and unless I'm forgetting something it really kinda pales in scale to now: three movies (Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie, Godzilla vs. Destroyah, and Gamera: Guardian of the Universe), Power Rangers and Gridman on TV in the U.S., the Dark Horse Godzilla comic debuted, and the Trendmasters toys were in stores. That was about it.

Compare to this year, which is the biggest so far of the current period: six movies (PR:U, Rampage, the two animated Godzillas, The Meg, and Ultraman Geed the Movie); shows in Japan and America (Power Rangers, Ultraman Orb, Mech X-4), Godzilla toys remain in U.S. stores along with Kong toys, PR:U, and now Rampage stuff; Kong comics are running, etc. (And honestly there's a few other movies out this year we could count here too if we stretch definitions, like Ready Player One, Atlantic Rim 2, and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.)

I loved the experience of becoming a fan in the '90s, but now is even more exciting IMO. :huge:
Maritonic wrote:While I agree, I think the people who are claiming this is a new "boom" were too young to really be adults when that happened (I COULD BE WRONG DON'T ATTACK ME). That, plus Rampage and Pacific Rim, is I think is what's causing this.

I just think it's a good time to be a Kaiju fan. Wouldn't claim this is some huge boom, but I'm not complaining either.

I'm just sitting here in the corner, waiting to hear a new Gamera get announced.
Admittedly I was a kid when the '90s boom happened, but I remember it well. That was when I became a fan.

As I pointed out, though, the reason people keep calling this a "boom" or "renaissance" isn't just because it's following the post-GFW drought, it's also because there's been a noticeable uptick in content compared even to the '90s. The '90s was very much a Godzilla-driven period, with Gamera, Mothra, and Ultraman putting in appearances. Now is still dominated by Godzilla films, but what's exciting is how much NEW content we've gotten - Attack on Titan (all versions), Love & Peace, Kong: Skull Island, the Pacific Rim films and comics, Colossal, etc. The '90s was a good time to be a Godzilla fan, but looking back it was really limited to pretty much JUST Godzilla.

Thinking about it another way, I suppose it's possible to not see it as bigger than the '90s if you're looking at it from a more Japan-centric POV as this is in many ways a Western-driven boom

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

This is really interesting and funny to me cause I definitely remember that 'drought' period where certain people would go on about Godzilla being done and over for good. The idea of another big budget American version, or a super successful film from Toho, an animated trilogy, classic Toho kaiju appearing in American films, a new version of freaking King Kong vs. Godzilla, etc., etc. would've been all scoffed and eye rolled at.

And now those people probably hate all this new content and the new fans coming in so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by tbeasley on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I hope this boom lasts. It started off really strong (Pacific Rim, LPG, Shin, 10 Cloverfield Lane (if you count that)) but the quality in movies has taken a downwards curve, sinking from mediocre (Kong: Skull Island) to just plain bad (Monster Planet Part 1, Cloverfield Paradox, Uprising, probably Rampage and Monster Planet Part 2).

After enough bad movies people are going to start to take the hint and this "boom" will end as soon as it started.

Here's hoping KotM picks things up again.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.