The Cloverfield Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

The Cloverfield Thread

Post by cloverfan98 »

This thread is for the disscusion of one of my all time favorite, and IMO one of the best kaiju movies yet, Cloverfield. Is anyone else still hoping for a sequel? (even though it seems like we will never get one?)

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Offical Cloverfield Thread

Post by g2kmaster »

I would like a sequel. Have Monsterocalypse come out in Spring, Godzilla in Winter, and then January 2013 Cloverfield 2. Make the giant monster movie dominant again.

As for Cloverfield itself, it is pretty cool movie. Enough to make me get the DVD and ask my local movie store if I could have their poster, from which I found out that they just give away their posters after two weeks (what are they gonna do, send them back to the studio? Throw them away?). But yeah, it was a well made film with a definent sense of dread not apparent in kaiju films since the original Gojira. Though, due to how it was filmed, Cloverfield could never achieve that level of quality in other aspects of film. But it was good. Very good. And I love how EFNN played into some of Cloverfield's ideas. Statue of Liberty head man. JC is still influencing.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

I LOVE Cloverfield, one of my favorite movies actually. I really like the idea of using the handheld camera, it added to the realism. The monster was very well done and looked terrifying! I'm hoping for a sequel, especially after what you hear at the end of the credits...
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Cloverfield is perhaps the best modern representation of the kaiju genre. I love the film, and feel its really underrated. I dont think a sequel will happen, but its still a great movie.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I feel like this is the closest we have ever gotten to having a true American Godzilla. Just as Gojira was a metaphor for the A Bomb, Cloverfield was the same for 9/11. Plus I think Cloverfield is what helped to bring new life into Kaiju movies. I would not be surprised if it was all the rumors about how Cloverfield was another US Godzilla movie, that made Legendary think about doing a Godzilla film.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

cloverfan98 wrote:Just as Gojira was a metaphor for the A Bomb, Cloverfield was the same for 9/11.
Also oil drilling. After all, it was the Tagurato company oil drilling that unleashed the beast. Not to mention the current BP situation.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I like the movie well enough. I would have preferred to see more of the monster, but what we did see was pretty cool. It was a good attempt to bring the kaiju genre to America.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

I did not like Cloverfleld. If I wanted to watch an hour and a half of shaky-cam, I'd watch one of the Bourne films. The characters are flat and boring, the idea of it is uninteresting, and the monster is pretty lame as well.

And I really don't care about the sequel.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

I enjoyed it very much, but i personally don't want any type of sequel. I liked the prequel/sequel/midquel manga that came out and it explained a lot and it was official. But i mean a sequel would be too much. I like it and appreciate is a stand alone film, to be Cloverfield will always be shrouded with mystery. I don't want answers because I want to speculate and give my own answers so that everyone's viewing experience is a little more unique, creating your own background, your own future. etc. To me, that is fun, not cashing out on the first film. Super 8 should be very cool, I am not to sure exactly that it might be shot on Super 8. I mean the Cloverfield trailer was shot like the movie, Super 8's trailer is shot like an actual film. But nonetheless, its still pretty exciting.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

g2kmaster wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:Just as Gojira was a metaphor for the A Bomb, Cloverfield was the same for 9/11.
Also oil drilling. After all, it was the Tagurato company oil drilling that unleashed the beast. Not to mention the current BP situation.
Good point. Funny how things turn out as BP happened after a movie about oil digging causing a monster attack.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Would have been funnier if a monster really did get released by BP
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Hedorah wrote:Would have been funnier if a monster really did get released by BP
I really shouldn't, but I kinda was hoping something like that would happen.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

It would be pretty bad because there is absolutely no way that any nation is really prepared for a giant monster attack, or alien invasion, I'm not a guy who thinks it can happen, but in reality anything is possible.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Hedorah wrote:It would be pretty bad because there is absolutely no way that any nation is really prepared for a giant monster attack, or alien invasion, I'm not a guy who thinks it can happen, but in reality anything is possible.
If you believe the conspiracy theorists there actually are some rather science ficiton-esque documents floating around certain government offices.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Gorosaurus Rex wrote:
Hedorah wrote:It would be pretty bad because there is absolutely no way that any nation is really prepared for a giant monster attack, or alien invasion, I'm not a guy who thinks it can happen, but in reality anything is possible.
If you believe the conspiracy theorists there actually are some rather science ficiton-esque documents floating around certain government offices.
Yeah I've heard about them, but nothing ever really has happened yet
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Tyler wrote:I liked Cloverfield and a sequel would be cool. Is Clover really dead? Those kids probably are...
Know one knows for sure. At the end of the credits, there is a voice that says "Help Us..." However when it is listened to backwards, it says, "It's Still Alive."

However in an interview with JJ Abrams, the person interviewing JJ asked becauses of some viral pictures, if Clover is dead and JJ said yes. However the picture they were talking about was a pic of half eaten whales.

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=68624

Apparently the sequel is still on, no more real new though.

I honestly would love to see a sequel, I loved the original and its one of my favorite films. I honestly don't understand the hate it gets. The characters may not be deep but they feel natural, and for what the movie was thats all that was really needed.

Darkness
Interpol Agent

Post by Darkness »

I loved Cloverfield and I still love it. It's one of the best American made monster films in my opinion, and it's fairly kaijuesque in it's execution which is always a plus in my book. My only gripe with it is that after this came out there were quite a few people I knew who were going around saying "Giant monsters are so awesome! I'm a hardcore giant monster fan!" naturally, I got those people to shup up fairly quickly.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

How epic is this freaking thing? This movie was so great. But I really hope a sequel is made.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Good thing it will never be in a monster fight
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!