Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla vs Kong General Discussion (No Spoilers)

Post by DirektorSplennic »

merio wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:07 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giOerkcIB6U OH MY GOD ANOTHER ONE
Yeah there's too many trailers coming out now. I've see like two of the tv spots and told myself to stop so what happened with KOTM won't happen again with me.
GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

The good news is that most of these videos are recycling a lot, the new footage probably amounts to about 30 seconds of footage.
BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

I'm fine with a bunch of tv spots that don't spoil the plot, as long as we don't get a second trailer like the infamous final BvS trailer
vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:23 pm I really like the sign language angle. I thought this was known from the second trailer (teaser?), but I guess we only saw him react to sign language. And as long as the Iwi girl has been taught ASL by someone who would be able teach it and not something she just stumbles upon on her own, I really like the idea. And yes I understand in actuality its still quite absurd, it would be like us understanding if ants started using the flag waving alphabet. There's no way Kong could reasonably perceive her signals, but I don't care, rule of cool.
Maybe Aaron, from the comic? ASL could have been an intermediary language of sorts between himself and the Iwi. Of course this would be basically retconned and it's not like the comics are always/all the way canon but idk just an idea.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:50 am I'm fine with a bunch of tv spots that don't spoil the plot, as long as we don't get a second trailer like the infamous final BvS trailer
I’m thinking of just skipping out on whatever else is left and save it for the movie. That’ll be a true test to my temptations
Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

vibramrunner wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:56 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:23 pm I really like the sign language angle. I thought this was known from the second trailer (teaser?), but I guess we only saw him react to sign language. And as long as the Iwi girl has been taught ASL by someone who would be able teach it and not something she just stumbles upon on her own, I really like the idea. And yes I understand in actuality its still quite absurd, it would be like us understanding if ants started using the flag waving alphabet. There's no way Kong could reasonably perceive her signals, but I don't care, rule of cool.
Maybe Aaron, from the comic? ASL could have been an intermediary language of sorts between himself and the Iwi. Of course this would be basically retconned and it's not like the comics are always/all the way canon but idk just an idea.
Remember, the Iwi don't speak in Skull Island (probably to avoid attracting predators). The sign language most likely comes from their own culture.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.
vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:24 am
Remember, the Iwi don't speak in Skull Island (probably to avoid attracting predators). The sign language most likely comes from their own culture.
That's a great point about them not speaking. I'm assuming she actually is signing some variant of American Sign Language though, which would be problematic if they tried to pass it off an Iwi creation. But the filmmakers might've developed their own language, "MonsterVerse Klingon"-ish.
Last edited by vibramrunner on Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

vibramrunner wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:38 am

That's a great point about them not speaking. I'm assuming she actually is signing some variant of American Sign Language though, which would be problematic if they tried to pass it off an Iwi creation. But the filmmakers might've developed their own language, "MonsterVerse Klingon"-ish.
Remember, the actress herself is deaf and speaks ASL in real life. It was probably much easier to have the girl act in a way she already knows how to, rather than invent a whole new kind of sign language and risk hindering her acting ability. She's only a little kid after all. Very few audience members would be able to tell the difference between ASL and an invented sign language anyway, and among the population that does, only a faction of them will care enough about the lore or the film universe to take issue with it.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.
KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I love that the majority of footage is just an extra second or two from the what we've already seen. Leaves plenty to be revealed!!!! Just over a month away!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I'm no expert on ASL so any one who is please correct me, but googling the translation in the scenes appears to be direct translation of ASL. For example here is home;

Added in 37 seconds:
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:45 am snip

Remember, the actress herself is deaf and speaks ASL in real life. It was probably much easier to have the girl act in a way she already knows how to, rather than invent a whole new kind of sign language and risk hindering her acting ability. She's only a little kid after all. Very few audience members would be able to tell the difference between ASL and an invented sign language anyway, and among the population that does, only a faction of them will care enough about the lore or the film universe to take issue with it.
That's more than fair though
He Jock it Made of Steel
Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

You can also make the assumption since Ilene is Jia’s adopted mother she simply just taught her sign language. Since the Iwi are naturally mute.
Last edited by Tyrant28 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.
vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Tyrant28 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:48 pm You can also make the assumption since Ilene is Jia’s adopted mother she simple just taught her sign language. Since the Iwi are naturally mute.
I .. feel pretty stupid I didn't think of that, lol. Pretty sure you just nailed it.
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I know the time and pacing talk was a few pages ago but according to Regal...
https://www.regmovies.com/movies/godzil ... 00010108#/
...It's one minutes long.
Wow they better move through the plot points pretty quickly then!

I thought this was real and I really like it.
https://scontent.fhio2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=605DA4C3
Last edited by daveblackeye15 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merio
GPN Volunteer

Post by merio »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AsCXYkeVpY New Gvk footage, again.

Added in 4 minutes 10 seconds: Also Goji lookin' real pissed in this shot.
he/him 17
DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Great clip love the score at IGN
king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I don't want to watch it, but is it Ifikube or something new?
Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

king_ghidorah wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:11 am I don't want to watch it, but is it Ifikube or something new?
Hints of Ifukube
DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

king_ghidorah wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:11 am I don't want to watch it, but is it Ifikube or something new?
Similar enough
king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Word. Hope we get a proper new rendition of the classic Godzilla theme then.
Floroskull
Samurai

Post by Floroskull »

When Godzilla brings his tail down on the two battle ships you can hear a similar noise to when Godzilla lifts his tail in front of the two soldiers during the bridge scene in 2014. Loving all these little details in the movie so far.