bfi Godzilla DVD Special Features vs. Classic Media

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Purzel2205
Samurai

bfi Godzilla DVD Special Features vs. Classic Media

Post by Purzel2205 »

I have noticed that the Classic Media and bfi DVDs have very similar special features involving the same people. Both have narrated featurettes on the development of the story of the first Godzilla movie and the development of the Godzilla suit and now I'm wondering: are there any differences between the bfi featurettes and the Classic Media ones?

Also the bfi DVDs audio commentary by Steve Ryfle & Ed Godziszewski also features Keith Aiken, who I don't think is on the Classic Media commentary. Does this mean this is a different commentary?
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...
StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Re: bfi Godzilla DVD Special Features vs. Classic Media

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Yes, BFI's UK Godzilla DVD includes a unique audio commentary by Steve Ryfle, Ed Godziszewski & Keith Aiken. SciFi Japan published an article by Godziszewski about the recording process.

BFI released their Godzilla DVD in February 2006 and Classic Media released theirs in September 2006. Classic Media's DVD includes both the Japanese and American versions of the film and each version includes a unique audio commentary by Ryfle & Godziszewski. I don't remember offhand if the story development and suit design featurettes are exactly the same on both DVDs and I don't have the means to check my BFI DVD at this time. Even if they're not exactly the same, they would be extremely similar.

The most unique special feature on BFI's DVD is a short 1954 documentary called The Japanese Fisherman about the American nuclear testing that reached the Lucky Dragon No. 5 fishing boat, one of the events that directly influenced Godzilla. It's available on YouTube:

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

From what I remember, the story development and suit design featurettes are nearly identical on both releases.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You
goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Toho has/d a very strict approval process regarding bonus content and basically wouldn’t allow the same recorded commentary, but they DID approve almost the exact same script.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132
Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

Thanks to everyone who replied! For some reason the forum didn't show me the notifications at first
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...