Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Re: Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by goji1986 »

GodzillaBurgh wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:35 pm When did Toho starting to realize "You know what, those Hi-Vision transfers are not that pretty to look at. Let's roll up our sleeves, get real dirty and actually give the Big G a proper 4K look." Is Toho taking... A C C O U N T A B I L I T Y ! ? ! :shock:

This has got to be the result of Toho seeing the feedback of mixed reviews of Criterion's set, cuz' I can't think of any other reason other than the very little info on their 4K job on KING KONG VS. GODZILLA. My biggest question of all: Are these getting released in some limited edition Blu-ray set exclusive in Japan, or just for a particular limited time event? Otherwise, Showa Video better hear this and jump on this s**t.
This has largely been in the works since 2014
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

People have been saying the Hi-Visions are bad for over a decade now. I really doubt some foreigners complaining on message boards were what made Toho decide to spend the money to remaster these films take... A C C O U N T A B I L I T Y ! ? ! :shock:
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon
GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I get that. But it seems to be that Toho is willing to putting more care in their transfers for the hype of GODZILLA VS. KONG all of a sudden when they had the chance to do so when they were collaborating with Criterion for thier box set. It just comes off to me as Toho being hypocritical.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I don't really see the hypocrisy. Godzilla vs. Kong is a big new release happening in Japan. Makes sense for them to tie in with that -- there's already a lot of talk about Godzilla, which means the remasters can get more attention, and they can in turn be used to promote the new release. Makes perfect sense from a business standpoint; I don't see how they're contradicting themselves.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I don't care what the reasoning is...I just love the idea of all of these films existing in a very good condition of preservation. Of course I would love US Blu Ray(wouldn't dare to dream for 4K Disc) releases of all of these amazing new restorations...but at least the movies will be exist in the world in a good state for posterity.

So perhaps the notion was ignited by the 60th anniversary, continued on the hype of the MonsterVerse or Godzilla vs Kong specifically....and perhaps hype/marketing potential for the 70th anniversary will see it carried out to completion. I think 2022 is also a big anniversary for Toho Studios, if I remember correctly. So maybe there are a number of contributing factors beyond just good old fashioned "These are historically significant movies and they need to be well preserved and presented"

Whatever the reason I am just extremely happy that it is happening at all. Even if WE don't get benefits in the form of new Blu Rays or anything like that(Which I'll keep fingers crossed for)...the movies deserve it.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."
GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

You're right. Let's hope for huge things to come :-)
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
bl4ck
Ronin

Post by bl4ck »

Screens from Godzilla 1954 4K and KK vs Godzilla 1962 4K vs BD
eizo22.blog.fc2 com/blog-entry-102.html
Last edited by bl4ck on Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Dated January 12 2017. That's the old '54 remaster.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon
bl4ck
Ronin

Post by bl4ck »

@omgitsgodzilla
Maybe old but still better than BD :) new from 2021 is next step to better.
Here is new remaster from 2021 but so far only photos and description http://eizo22.blog.fc2 com/blog-entry-529.html
Last edited by bl4ck on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It's mostly just brighter, and almost everything above a certain brightness is kind of crushed. It's from a better film source, but poorly graded.

The 2021 remaster does look like an improvement on Toho's past transfers, including that one, but until we have an actual recording or direct screenshots, it's hard to say how it compares to Criterion's restoration.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Are those just photos of somebody’s screen? If so they’re basically worthless in determining the quality of this new 4K restoration.
GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

bl4ck wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:56 am @omgitsgodzilla
Here is new remaster from 2021 but so far only photos and description http://eizo22.blog.fc2 com/blog-entry-529.html
I'm trying to click on this link, but it can't be reached when I'm using Chrome.
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

GodzillaBurgh wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:51 pm
bl4ck wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:56 am @omgitsgodzilla
I'm trying to click on this link, but it can't be reached when I'm using Chrome.
It has a space where a period should be at “.com”.

Here’s a fixed link:

http://eizo22.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-529.html
GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Thank you for the fixed link, and looking at the screenshots it seems to be taken with a smartphone with bad low light readings.
bl4ck
Ronin

Post by bl4ck »

Yep because I can't put here links :)
airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

ugh whenever these projects happen its just the cellphone shot. cmon, lol! lets get teh actual screenshot
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

In fairness, it's probably more difficult to get a good screenshot from the actual 4K airing, but you'd think someone could get some from the SDR 2K downscale.

Of course, someone has probably already recorded it. Hopefully that'll start circulating soon.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon
GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Let's HOPE someone smart enough recorded the 4k broadcasts. I need to see if they got rid of the piss yellow tinting.
bl4ck
Ronin

Post by bl4ck »

2K, japan broadcast 2K resolution for all movies aka 4K restoration.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Wow...so even though these are 4K restorations, they are being broadcast at 2K resolution?

When you factor that in, along with things like compression and bitrate and etc that come into play for broadcasts....we really aren't seeing all that these 4K restorations have to offer.

I mean...I remember people comparing the 4K broadcast version of "The Long Night" from Game of Thrones to what you actually received on 4K disc and it was shocking how much of an improvement it was.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."