Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
miguelnuva
Sazer

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by miguelnuva »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:08 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm I lost the link but someone was doing marketing analysts on the Criterion set and estimated Tohomlikely cost themselves 25 to 30% of profits from G fans but not including the dubs for the early showa films as well.

Wish I could find the link again but I could see that. If 4 G fans saw this set that means 3 out of 4 still bought it.
Snip
The set was going to ways sale like that. The post was saying it would have done 25-30% better than what it is not that it sold 25%-30% less then why Criterion was expecting.

Let's say Criterion wanted to sale 100 units and they ended up selling 120, they would be better than they were expecting. Had Toho let them have the dubs the analysis writer was saying it could have been 150 units.

The sales weren't bad the article was just saying they could have been better.
You can put it on my Tombstone Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0
eabaker

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:08 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:10 pm I lost the link but someone was doing marketing analysts on the Criterion set and estimated Tohomlikely cost themselves 25 to 30% of profits from G fans but not including the dubs for the early showa films as well.

Wish I could find the link again but I could see that. If 4 G fans saw this set that means 3 out of 4 still bought it.
Snip
The set was going to ways sale like that. The post was saying it would have done 25-30% better than what it is not that it sold 25%-30% less then why Criterion was expecting.

Let's say Criterion wanted to sale 100 units and they ended up selling 120, they would be better than they were expecting. Had Toho let them have the dubs the analysis writer was saying it could have been 150 units.

How many total Godzilla fans do you think passed on the set because of the absence of those dubs, though? To make that kind of difference, the number would have to be - I'm thinking teens of thousands, at least, but I'm just spitballing.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

Nevermind the notion that Criterion could have sold 30% more units had they been able to clear those dubbed versions, I'd like to know this guy's analysis on how better the set would have sold had they been able to do their own transfers or include more than just a couple of exclusive bonus features.

:P
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image
LegendZilla
Xilien Halfling

Post by LegendZilla »

Do you think that one day Criterion will release a set containing the non-Godzilla kaiju films?
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.
miguelnuva
Sazer

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:17 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:08 pm

Snip

How many total Godzilla fans do you think passed on the set because of the absence of those dubs, though? To make that kind of difference, the number would have to be - I'm thinking teens of thousands, at least, but I'm just spitballing.
I don't know how the data was gathered or what was shown that the analyst came to his result.
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0
StreamOfKaijuness
GPN Volunteer

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Here is some relevant data. Criterion’s Godzilla set has grossed $8,021,571 in domestic video sales to date.

Most of the people who’ve purchased this set have probably gotten it for the $112.49 price that Barnes & Noble established (50% off MSRP) and Amazon matched. For the sake of lowballing it, though, and to account for those who bought it at a higher price, let’s say that everyone who bought the set paid $140 for it. That total of $8,021,571 in sales at $140 per unit would mean 57,296 units sold, and that’s lowballing it.

With even 57,000 units sold, selling 25% more would mean 14,000 additional people purchasing the set. Does anyone really believe there are 14,000 Godzilla fans who have refused to buy Criterion’s Godzilla set because it lacks certain US cuts and English dubs?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
nobody in this thread knows what there talking about, including the titanosaurs guy writing an essay on a Godzilla forum
miguelnuva
Sazer

Post by miguelnuva »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:20 pm Here is some relevant data. Criterion’s Godzilla set has grossed $8,021,571 in domestic video sales to date.

Most of the people who’ve purchased this set have probably gotten it for the $112.49 price that Barnes & Noble established (50% off MSRP) and Amazon matched. For the sake of lowballing it, though, and to account for those who bought it at a higher price, let’s say that everyone who bought the set paid $140 for it. That total of $8,021,571 in sales at $140 per unit would mean 57,296 units sold, and that’s lowballing it.

With even 57,000 units sold, selling 25% more would mean 14,000 additional people purchasing the set. Does anyone really believe there are 14,000 Godzilla fans who have refused to buy Criterion’s Godzilla set because it lacks certain US cuts and English dubs?
I'm positive not all Godzilla fans bought this set and not only Godzilla fans would have bought the set. 14,000 does seem a lot but it also doesn't seem impossible.
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

"How could you possibly know that?"
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
RED MENACE
Tumblr YouTube Patreon

Latest project: Godzilla 1985 35mm hybrid reconstruction
Current project: Stay tuned for details

KEEP CIRCULATING THE TAPES
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:06 pm
StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:20 pm Here is some relevant data. Criterion’s Godzilla set has grossed $8,021,571 in domestic video sales to date.

I'm positive not all Godzilla fans bought this set and not only Godzilla fans would have bought the set. 14,000 does seem a lot but it also doesn't seem impossible.
14,000 absolutely seems impossible.

Added in 3 minutes 8 seconds:
Just for some context; this entire forum only has about 4,900 members.
Resized Image
To a new world of Gods and Monsters
goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?
goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I didn't buy it because of the inferior dubs silly goose, I didn't buy it because I had no bloody money.

Where's the numbers for those of us who didn't get it because we poor.
eabaker

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:24 pm I didn't buy it because of the inferior dubs silly goose, I didn't buy it because I had no bloody money.

Where's the numbers for those of us who didn't get it because we poor.
If Criterion had included the dubs, you could illegally charge all your friends to come to your house to watch them, and then you'd be able to justify the expense, so you would have bought the set.

Checkmate, Criterion.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
Major sssspielberg!
Interpol Agent

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^^^^^^^ this guy gets it.
PitchBlackProgress wrote: Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.
edgaguirus wrote:Your climax sounds better than the one we got in the movie.
:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien: