Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Re: Talkback Thread #5: Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster(1964)

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

How much of the US soundtrack for this has been found? I've found a few tracks on youtube, but I was wondering if anyone had ever made a playlist of all the tracks, or knew where to find them
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: King Ghidorah power question.

Post by edgaguirus »

Locutus wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:20 pm In 3 headed monster we know the Venusian lady says that within a day Ghidorah turned Venus into a "dead world" destroying the Venusian civilization.

My question is, did Ghidorah only destroy Venus civilization (buildings and cities) or did he completely annihilate all life on Venus surface? Seems a bit vague with how it was wordes. Ik decades ago Venus was thought of to be earth like, is it possible Ghidorah reduced the original earth like Venus into the barren wasteland that rains acid as we know it?
A "day" on Venus last 116 Earth days. We don't know if The Venusian was using Earth time when telling her story-we'll assume she is- so that would give Ghidorah plenty of time to destroy all life, or do enough damage to cause environmental conditions to change.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.
ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I always assumed Venus had been destroyed by Ghidorah centuries or thousands of years in the past

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu
tlyon2
Yojimbo

Post by tlyon2 »

ROMG4 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:49 pm I always assumed Venus had been destroyed by Ghidorah centuries or thousands of years in the past
He did' over 5000 years ago but it only took him a day to destroy Venus or as another poster mention, it was a 116 earth days in Venus time. So it took Ghidorah almost four months to destroy all of Venus!
godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Showa King Ghidorah had 5 appearances total (Including Zone Fighter) and this is the only time he acted of his own free will.

Quite sad.
Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

tlyon2 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:11 pm
ROMG4 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:49 pm I always assumed Venus had been destroyed by Ghidorah centuries or thousands of years in the past
He did' over 5000 years ago but it only took him a day to destroy Venus or as another poster mention, it was a 116 earth days in Venus time. So it took Ghidorah almost four months to destroy all of Venus!

I think we’re just meant to assume that she meant one Earth day. Because in a guide book, it was stated that KG destroyed Venus in “no time”, meaning he did it quite fast.

Added in 1 minute 23 seconds:
godjacob wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:29 pm Showa King Ghidorah had 5 appearances total (Including Zone Fighter) and this is the only time he acted of his own free will.

Quite sad.
Atleast he didn’t get his life ended in his first appearance. Imagine dying to Godzilla alone and it’s your first appearance. Sad.
For Emperor and Empire!
godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:44 pm

I think we’re just meant to assume that she meant one Earth day. Because in a guide book, it was stated that KG destroyed Venus in “no time”, meaning he did it quite fast.

godjacob wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:29 pm Showa King Ghidorah had 5 appearances total (Including Zone Fighter) and this is the only time he acted of his own free will.

Quite sad.
Atleast he didn’t get his life ended in his first appearance. Imagine dying to Godzilla alone and it’s your first appearance. Sad.
I am not sure which Ghidorah this is meant to be a shot at, but guessing it is one all the same.

Either way the destroyer of worlds kinda loses some impact when he is just an alien bitch in all but one of his appearances, which is why this is easily the best appearance for Showa Ghidorah and why I prefer this film vs. the (Probably objectively better) Invasion of the Astro Monster.
Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:48 pm

Quite sad.
I am not sure which Ghidorah this is meant to be a shot at, but guessing it is one all the same.

Either way the destroyer of worlds kinda loses some impact when he is just an alien bitch in all but one of his appearances, which is why this is easily the best appearance for Showa Ghidorah and why I prefer this film vs. the (Probably objectively better) Invasion of the Astro Monster.
I shot the insult at every Ghidorah but Showa.
For Emperor and Empire!
godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:59 pm
godjacob wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:48 pm

Either way the destroyer of worlds kinda loses some impact when he is just an alien female dog in all but one of his appearances, which is why this is easily the best appearance for Showa Ghidorah and why I prefer this film vs. the (Probably objectively better) Invasion of the Astro Monster.
I shot the insult at every Ghidorah but Showa.
Well...
Spoiler:
Doesn't seem to imply to Ghidorah of the MV, given well he is a ghost in the shell with Mechagodzilla. Plus there was a previous encounter between it and Godzilla/Mothra in ancient times.
And Grand never fought Godzilla. He fought the walking mary sue that is Mothra Leo. Plus Heisei/MV/Keizer required human aid (And Mothra aid in MV's case) to defeat not just Godzilla alone.

But still, I think Ghidorah living is worse here. Given he just becomes a mindless puppet for every alien race thereafter with less and less agency each time it appears.
Last edited by godjacob on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:59 pm I shot the insult at every Ghidorah but Showa.
Monsterverse Mothra feels unappreciated now, and it's your fault.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio
edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

We'll buy Mothra a drink. She'll have a stinger.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.
Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:08 pm We'll buy Mothra a drink. She'll have a stinger.
What, not a Blue Mountain?

I wholeheartedly agree that King Ghidorah's portrayal here is better than it is in the rest of the Showa series. The wire work got better in the next film but the idea of the big bad destroyer of worlds being an alien slave in every subsequent appearance is most uncool. I would love to see the reverse done at some point, where King Ghidorah is mind controlling the leader of an alien race in order to have them as backup, sorta like a mix of Godzilla vs The Robot Monster and Godzilla: The Planet Eater.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609
Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

This is one of the best Showa films and Godzilla films. The plot is decent and can keep non fans interested enough to not walk away and of course builds up the to epic showdown that we all know and love. I like how this pretty much introduced aliens into the series. Something that never really went away and probably never will. I like how Godzilla and Rodan are still depicted as menaces at first but how they join forces when the blatantly bigger threat aka Ghidorah shows up. I also love the famous scene of Rodan and Godzilla laughing at each other getting webbed. It is the first time we really saw these monsters have an actual personality. The final battle is of course stellar and set a benchmark for kaiju group fights that rarely has been matched. Even non fans generally know who Godzilla, Mothra, Ghidorah, and Rodan all are and it is mostly this movie they have to thank for it.
John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

I've got to wonder, why is the Japanese title for this film "Three Giant Monsters: Earth's Greatest Battle" when there are four monsters in it? What's up with that?
Friends don't lie.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

John Pannozzi wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:45 pm I've got to wonder, why is the Japanese title for this film "Three Giant Monsters: Earth's Greatest Battle" when there are four monsters in it? What's up with that?
Three retruning monsters (Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan) team up to defend Earth from an extra-terrestrial threat. They are the "Thee Giant Monsters" of the title.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

John Pannozzi wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:45 pm I've got to wonder, why is the Japanese title for this film "Three Giant Monsters: Earth's Greatest Battle" when there are four monsters in it? What's up with that?
Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan are the star power here. Ghidorah is the threat bringing the three monsters together.

Added in 2 minutes 12 seconds:
Speaking of Ghidorah why do people argue his Destroyer of world's title is degraded with all the mind control but know says Godzilla's king of Monsters title is downgraded for the same reason.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image
godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:56 pm
Godzilla, Mothra and Rodan are the star power here. Ghidorah is the threat bringing the three monsters together.

Speaking of Ghidorah why do people argue his Destroyer of world's title is degraded with all the mind control but know says Godzilla's king of Monsters title is downgraded for the same reason.
What do you mean? Godzilla's title is a reflection of his iconic standing within the genre. When people think of Kaiju, Godzilla is usually what people first think of and his career is largely built on beating other monsters.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

godjacob wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:13 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:56 pm

What do you mean? Godzilla's title is a reflection of his iconic standing within the genre. When people think of Kaiju, Godzilla is usually what people first think of and his career is largely built on beating other monsters.
King of the Monsters has become an in universe nickname as well as out of universe. By DAM he was considered leader of the Earth Monsters and this is shown even more in the 70's. The way Angurius interacts with him is the way I would see an friendly underling interact with a King.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image
edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

In addition, Godzilla is usually not under mind control of some sort.

However, Ghidorah is no less a threat when being used as a tool of conquest. He causes just as much destruction whether free or being controlled and doesn't retreat when under control.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:57 pm In addition, Godzilla is usually not under mind control of some sort.

However, Ghidorah is no less a threat when being used as a tool of conquest. He causes just as much destruction whether free or being controlled and doesn't retreat when under control.
Ghidorah was only mind controlled 1 more time than Godzilla yet a lot of fans hold that against Ghidorah was my only point.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image