Unpopular Kaiju Suits/Designs you Like

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Re: Unpopular Kaiju Suits/Designs you Like

Post by GalacticPetey »

I really like the '62 Kong suit. A lot of people say it's really ugly but I like the more monstrous look of the face. That combined with the long arms make him pretty distinct and not just a big gorilla. Can't say I enjoy the King Kong Escapes suit though.

I also find Showa Minya incredibly cute. He's a little ugly but that's part of the charm. His looks cimbined with his characterization make him a lot of fun to watch, espeically playing off Godzilla.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Living Corpse wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:1998 Godzilla. Yes, I think that GINO could actually be a great Godzilla if just given more strength, both in durability and powers. I mean, it already happened in GtS.

Also, Gabara looks pretty good..
What's frustrating is there is concept art of it using it's Atomic Breath. Then D&E decided to take that away.

Had it been more like a traditional Godzilla film but with a big Hollywood budget the biggest compliant would probably just be either the story wasn't great or the design not being everyone's cup of tea, not "they raped Godzilla!". Or even if it played exactly the same way but was a Toho film it wouldn't be nearly as infamous, HedorahIsBestGirl said it better than I could, the biggest problem is it was the first American Godzilla film, if it weren't it would have been seen as just another weird experiment by Toho like Godzilla's Revenge or Polygon's anime trilogy and not seen as this black mark on the franchises history but a weird curiosity of the past. It'd still be heavily disliked, but not seen as this thing that ruined Godzilla's reputation because let's be real here, if it wasn't a Hollywood flick a lot of people outside of the fanbase would never even know it exists.

As for Gabara, I'm normally indifferent to him but there were so many clone characters in Godzilla PS4 I would have gladly taken him as a playable character just to spice things up.
At least we got a more faithful version in cartoon. If only the movie was like the cartoon..

I actually really like Godzilla 98's design. I remember when my cousin and I were kids, we used to have debates about the Japanese Godzilla vs. The American Godzilla. Our consensus was the American Godzilla looks cooler, but the Japanese Godzilla would beat him in a fight.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!
G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:My favorite is the Kiryu saga suit.
Same. I see it get a lot of hate around here but KiryuGoji is easily one of my favorite designs

I like the FinalGoji suit too
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST
Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

KiryuGoji is an above-average suit imo.
For Emperor and Empire!
KaijuDude810
Yojimbo

Post by KaijuDude810 »

I think Showa Minilla is cuter than Little Godzilla.
I don’t know, the scrappiness of the suit and the cheesiness of his films gives him this sort of charmingly bad cuteness. I feel like Little Godzilla tries too hard to be cute, like it’s a bit too forced. Baby Godzilla was a really good design and is probably the best portrayal of a Godzilla offspring, but still isn’t that cute since he’s more realistic.

When I think about it, I don’t really mind Godzilla’s Revenge either. Yeah, it doesn’t adhere to the Godzilla formula. Yeah it’s chock full of stock footage. But I think this movie is more weird than bad. It’s a good introduction to the franchise for kids. It’s a sort of best-of clipshow. This is definitely one of the most enjoyable Godzilla films, as dumb as it is.
Last edited by KaijuDude810 on Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

KaijuDude810 wrote:I think Showa Minilla is cuter than Little Godzilla.
I don’t know, the scrappiness of the suit and the cheesiness of his films gives him this sort of charmingly bad cuteness. I feel like Little Godzilla tries too hard to be cute, like it’s a bit too forced.
I absolutely agree.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

KaijuDude810 wrote: When I think about it, I don’t really mind Godzilla’s Revenge either. Yeah, it doesn’t adhere to the Godzilla formula. Yeah it’s chock full of stock footage. But I think this movie is more weird than bad. It’s a good introduction to the franchise for kids. It’s a sort of best-of clipshow. This is definitely one of the most enjoyable Godzilla films, as dumb as it is.
You can stay, new guy.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio
villainzilla
Yojimbo

Post by villainzilla »

i adore almost all of the final wars designs with the exception of kumonga and maybe kamacuras and honestly i like the simplicity of gorosaurus
Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Said it once, and i'll say it again.

FW Kumonga>> Showa Kumonga

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!
Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I love the Destoroyah suit to bits, thunder thighs and all. It's just such an awesome design.

I like the GMK Godzilla design and the Final Wars Godzilla design, although I don't rank them among my favorites.

The MUTOs have really fantastic original designs and, for my money, look nothing like the Cloverfield monster.

I love Legion and Iris's designs, and I don't think they're confusing at all.

I... tolerate Final Wars King Caeser's design. I don't think I prefer it over the original, but with that said I was never a big fan of the original suit anyway.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I always loved Final Wars Rodan design. I loved that his crest goes all the way into his legs and that his wings are essentially extended fingers. Plus, while his screen time is short, I enjoyed every minute of him with his New York rampage and his fight with Godzilla.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.
ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Shin Godzilla's third form. I think it's perfectly horrifying, and gives me chills every time I see it. Plus, it adds a humorous new context to the quote "Godzilla isn't red!"

Final Wars Rodan. I feel it's a perfect blend on the 1956 and Heisei Rodan designs, with it's own unique touches added to it. I'm especially a fan of the emerald green eyes.

GyakushuGoji. It's one of my favorite Godzilla designs ever, but a lot of people dislike it sadly.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image
Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:42 pm Shin Godzilla's third form. I think it's perfectly horrifying, and gives me chills every time I see it. Plus, it adds a humorous new context to the quote "Godzilla isn't red!"
You’re a good man.
For Emperor and Empire!
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I love Moguera. Both of them, but especially the 94 Moguera. It has absolutely no character, but I really like how it is a glorified weapons platform. It doesn't even walk half the time and rolls around on tread feet. I love it! Plus it can transform and split apart. That's pretty unique for the Godzilla series. Plus he just looks cool.

The original design is like that perfect goofy 50's alien robot. I love it too.

In short moguera is great and you're all insane.
UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I honestly can't think of any kaiju design from Toho/Daiei that I actually dislike. Even some of the worst Godzilla suits/designs still have some charm to them.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:27 am I love Moguera. Both of them, but especially the 94 Moguera. It has absolutely no character, but I really like how it is a glorified weapons platform. It doesn't even walk half the time and rolls around on tread feet. I love it! Plus it can transform and split apart. That's pretty unique for the Godzilla series. Plus he just looks cool.

The original design is like that perfect goofy 50's alien robot. I love it too.

In short moguera is great and you're all insane.
All of this. MOGUERA '94 is easily one of my favorite mecha designs.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:02 am I honestly can't think of any kaiju design from Toho/Daiei that I actually dislike. Even some of the worst Godzilla suits/designs still have some charm to them.
Seconded. Of course there's some i vastly prefer to others. Still i can't really bring myself to hate any of them.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Tyrant_Liz
Ronin

Post by Tyrant_Liz »

My favorite suit of the entire Showa era is MegaroGoji, and in particular MekaGyakushuGoji. I like the proportions of the suit and the expressiveness of the face. With the alterations made to the head for Terror of Mechagodzilla, I think that particular suit best embodied everything Godzilla was about at the time.
Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Tyrant_Liz wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:58 pm My favorite suit of the entire Showa era is MegaroGoji, and in particular MekaGyakushuGoji. I like the proportions of the suit and the expressiveness of the face. With the alterations made to the head for Terror of Mechagodzilla, I think that particular suit best embodied everything Godzilla was about at the time.
I love 75 Goji, too! Definitely a very good suit. Never heard it been called unpopular though.
For Emperor and Empire!
Tyrant_Liz
Ronin

Post by Tyrant_Liz »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:46 pm I love 75 Goji, too! Definitely a very good suit. Never heard it been called unpopular though.
In my travels I've seen the MegaroGoji suit crapped on quite a bit, although I think people are more referring to the OG Godzilla vs Megalon design. Still, the alterations in the head for the MechaG films change the overall look of the suit so much that I think it's kind of unfair to lump all three suits together.