Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Godzilla21 »

goji89 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:00 pm
Godzilla21 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:52 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:13 am So I just watched Godzilla 1998 for the first time in several years and...I kinda like it? It's got some cute moments, and Hank Azaria and Jean Reno are genuinely fun to watch. Don't get me wrong, it's a bad movie, but it has a kind of dumb charm to it...
It really hits nostalgia sensors for me these days. I was 13 when it hit and I remember all the hype and excitement. It was the first film that I closely followed online and actively looked for rumors and such and discovered Godzilla message boards (Project G, the old Centropolis boards), and Godzilla news sites (Monster Zero). As for the film, it still sucks and the CGI has not aged well at all. The acting is subpar beyond Azaria and Reno. I still don't know if I'm supposed to be rooting for Godzilla or not. But I can watch it and be transported back to less complicated time.

Oh and I hate shipping giant monsters.
13 in '98.... God you're old.

Unlike us younglings

*why that light saber sound effect all of a sudden appears*
Hey you're only a few years behind son. Be ready for the creeping dread of your late 30s
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.
goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Godzilla21 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:55 am

It really hits nostalgia sensors for me these days. I was 13 when it hit and I remember all the hype and excitement. It was the first film that I closely followed online and actively looked for rumors and such and discovered Godzilla message boards (Project G, the old Centropolis boards), and Godzilla news sites (Monster Zero). As for the film, it still sucks and the CGI has not aged well at all. The acting is subpar beyond Azaria and Reno. I still don't know if I'm supposed to be rooting for Godzilla or not. But I can watch it and be transported back to less complicated time.

Unlike us younglings

Hey you're only a few years behind son. Be ready for the creeping dread of your late 30s
Dude, I'm barely 25
Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Unlike us younglings

Buckle up for your mid-life crisis.
For Emperor and Empire!
_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

goji89 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:58 am

Unlike us younglings

Dude, I'm barely 25
Damn bro you're a dinosaur
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira
edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:30 am I only dislike one kaiju roar in the Godzilla franchise: Kamacuras. It hurts my ears so.
Too bad that it bugs you. How do you feel about the roar of the Deadly Mantis?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

edgaguirus wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:09 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:30 am I only dislike one kaiju roar in the Godzilla franchise: Kamacuras. It hurts my ears so.
Too bad that it bugs you. How do you feel about the roar of the Deadly Mantis?
Good one.

The Deadly Mantis just uses stock roars but at the very least, it doesn't make me want to shove 1000-degree screwdrivers up my eardrums. I'd say the best a mantis kaiju roar can get is Preytor from War of the Monsters.
godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

To be blunt I don't even remember Kamacuras' roar, but Titanosaurus cackle makes me want to jab spikes in my ears.
Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Not as bad as the Showa Gamera monsters’ poor excuses for roars. But when it comes to Toho, nothing beats Megagirus’s ‘roar’. Goddamn I hate Megaguirus that roar.
For Emperor and Empire!
edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I don't mind any of the roars, cackles, shrieks, etc., but bad dubbing hurts.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:22 pm I don't mind any of the roars, cackles, shrieks, etc., but bad dubbing hurts.
One of the leads (The guy who gets captured with the natives) in Godzilla vs. Ebirah is a stand out example of this.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:35 am
edgaguirus wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:22 pm I don't mind any of the roars, cackles, shrieks, etc., but bad dubbing hurts.
One of the leads (The guy who gets captured with the natives) in Godzilla vs. Ebirah is a stand out example of this.
Which dub of that movie are you referring to?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:58 am
I don't know the names of the different dubbers and suck get getting soundbites myself so here is a link to a review with said footage.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

godjacob wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:00 am
eabaker wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:58 am

I don't know the names of the different dubbers and suck get getting soundbites myself so here is a link to a review with said footage.
Okay, that's Toho's international dub, as opposed to the (much better) American TV dub.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.
LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I prefer the US version of King Kong vs. Godzilla. Yes it trades a lot of the social commentary for the less compelling (but funny, at times) “international correspondence” bits, but for me that’s made up for by something else...

Here’s the part that’s gonna ruffle some feathers: the Universal music works better than the Ifukube stuff, and the movie as a whole is considerably better for it. I know, I know... Hear me out. Yes, the Ifukube tracks are more thoughtfully composed and pleasant to listen to. In any context outside of watching the movie, I would rather listen to those (although even then, I prefer the renditions Ifukube would compose in subsequent Showa flicks). However, the Universal stuff better suits the onscreen action. The most obvious example here is when Kong goes to hide behind a rock and then grabs Godzilla’s tail. In the US version, the track uses strings to instill tension while Godzilla searches for Kong. The steady drums work surprisingly well to characterize their mass. Then when Kong lunges out, the track explodes into a bombastic tune. In contrast, the Ifukube theme kinda just plays without changing with the action.

My read on the situation is that the filmmakers wanted to make a slapstick action-comedy with something to say. And while the latter is watered down, I believe the former is accentuated. King Kong, Godzilla, the octopus, the fight scenes... the way everything looks and presents itself just feels better suited for the US soundtrack.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I realized I don't like the Monster Planet Trilogy. I defended it a lot, and might still do, but I had a recent realization that it's individual ideas are better than the sum of it's parts. There's a lot of be interested and find interesting, but overall it's bleh.

I had this realization when I've been recently rewatching Godzilla films in preparation of both Godzilla Singular Point and Godzilla vs. Kong. I've rewatched both Ksi and Godzilla 2014 and liked them both a bit. I am going to rewatch KOTM as well, and while I'm not a big fan on it, I can see some moments I will look forward to. I also recently rewatched a few Showa era films and those were a blast. I think the POTM trilogy are the only Godzilla films I have only seen once each. I have not revisited them at all. I think that speaks volumes. Sure I like the world its in, and some of it's concepts, but it's caused the biggest sin by being boring. Godzilla films have mostly always been really interesting and EXCITING. I feel nothing of that excitement except some cool, but still underwhelming moments in all three films climaxes.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.
kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

LockBite wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:18 pm However, the Universal stuff better suits the onscreen action. The most obvious example here is when Kong goes to hide behind a rock and then grabs Godzilla’s tail. In the US version, the track uses strings to instill tension while Godzilla searches for Kong. The steady drums work surprisingly well to characterize their mass. Then when Kong lunges out, the track explodes into a bombastic tune. In contrast, the Ifukube theme kinda just plays without changing with the action.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. Just watched the Japanese version and thought to myself how the U.S. version music really played up the tension in this scene.
Formerly known as kurtzilla
Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

TBH the MireGoji design is still my favorite Godzilla design so far.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!
Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Miregoji's neck always reminded me of the Cardassians from Star Trek.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

An interesting resemblance, doctor.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I legit never gave a shit about King Kong as a kid outside of the 2005 film and the idea of him fighting Godzilla, and even that was a one off monster to me instead of being an intirctae beloved part of the rouges like Rodan or a monster I genuinely adored. It was only KSI being wonderful and me checking out the other films that got me interested him as a character and his legacy.

RIP Evan.