Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Terasawa »

Dramorg wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:25 pm
Terasawa wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:46 am Unfortunately, I think the days of man-in-costume Godzilla movies are behind us. But because of that, I've come to appreciate the Millennium Godzilla films more than I did before.
I do wonder whether it's just because of money or sth, that Toho isn't using suitmotion again.

Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are doing quite good currently, the former increasing it's popularity every year.
I'd guess the key difference between those and Godzilla/Toho's productions is that Toho doesn't produce regular special FX films anymore. Today, there's no reason for Toho to keep a dedicated effects unit on staff, meaning that any future Toho productions utilizing traditional tokusatsu techniques would be produced by outsourced talent. And since CGI is more widespread than ever, it seems more and more likely that any future Toho FX film will take that route.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.
Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:09 pm
Terasawa wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:46 am Unfortunately, I think the days of man-in-costume Godzilla movies are behind us. But because of that, I've come to appreciate the Millennium Godzilla films more than I did before.
I do wonder whether it's just because of money or sth, that Toho isn't using suitmotion again.

Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are doing quite good currently, the former increasing it's popularity every year.
I'd guess the key difference between those and Godzilla/Toho's productions is that Toho doesn't produce regular special FX films anymore. Today, there's no reason for Toho to keep a dedicated effects unit on staff, meaning that any future Toho productions utilizing traditional tokusatsu techniques would be produced by outsourced talent. And since CGI is more widespread than ever, it seems more and more likely that any future Toho FX film will take that route.
You're probably right I didn't take that into account... thank you!
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Rider and Sentai do still use suits for their heroes, monsters, etc., but both utilize a good dose of CGI for transformation scenes, impossible stunts, robots, etc. But yeah, Toei still seems to have a studio for traditional effects, whereas Toho likely does not.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I don't see classic Toku effects going away on Japanese television any time soon.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I mean it's cheaper to use suits and pratical stuff in a TV show and just add in some CGI effects, than use them in an entire movie with milions of dollars thrown in. Then again the AOT movie still did it. I think suits can come back in Godzilla films someday.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!
edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I suppose using CGI can also save money. Rather than creating a suit and miniature sets, you just create a digital image and place it in the scenes you want it. I'm not dismissing suit effects; I like suits and stop motion effects. I feel that a mix of the two work best in kaiju films.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I feel nothing, I just can't get excited for the MonsterVerse or Godzilla vs Kong. Hope GvK turns out amazing but I'm not holding my breath.

Excited for Singular Point and Shin Ultraman though. Can't wait to see where these projects go.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I'm kind of in the same boat, as I'm much more excited for Singular point than GvK (although I'll admit the trailer did peak my interest more than I anticipated).
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel
Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I'm pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum, lol. The redesigns of Singular Point are a bit too radical and deviant-art-lite for my tastes, and after the last anime outing I'm more apprehensive than excited.

Whereas with GvK... March can't come fast enough.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:54 pm Shin Ultraman
Ditto this.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.
Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm still not super excited for GVK, but that trailer still caught my interest. I'd be a lot more hyped for Shin Ultraman and Singular Point if i had just a tad more stuff to go off of. Singular Point's really only shown so much and despite it coming out this year we still only know the bare minimum on SU for some reason, not even a plot synopsis.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!
godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I personally am very excited for GVK, though I feel saying that at times is prone to get eyerolls on this site lol
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I mean it is Godzilla vs King Kong so I understand where people would be excited. I've just been burned by every film in the MonsterVerse so far and I just can't bring myself to expect Godzilla vs Kong will be any different. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but I'm not holding my breath.
goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Yeah, I'm not excited with GvK like at all. Sure it had some good action scenes but that trailer did not lift the hype for me. The awful music and the little girl subplot or main plot or whatever.... just ugh.

But, that's just from what I've seen from the trailer... who knows maybe this will turn out to be great, I'm just not gonna hold my breathe for this film or at the least set the bar low.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm not kidding myself that this movie is going to be anything close to a masterpiece. All I ask is for it to be fun and ideally refrain from pulling another Oxygen Destroyer.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio
_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

These days it seems like a confession to say I couldn't be more hyped for this film. Long Live the MV.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira
Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:07 am I'm not kidding myself that this movie is going to be anything close to a masterpiece. All I ask is for it to be fun and ideally refrain from pulling another Oxygen Destroyer.
Lol, pretty much this.

I mean, this is a remake of King King vs Godzilla! Less than a decade ago you’d be laughed off the forums for seriously insinuating this would ever happen again. We had a better chance of Bagan making it to the big screen.

This movie is going to have to be REALLY bad to diminish my hype.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.
goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Please....just no stupid ass cringe as fuq "jokes"

I can see it now

"Godzilla has a beam, what can Kong do against that?"

Some stupid side character chimes in and says

"Yeah, is he gonna fling his shiiit at Godzilla."

If that line is in this movie or any variation of that... the only one who's gonna loose his collective shiiit is gonna be me.
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

goji89 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:49 pm Please....just no stupid ass cringe as fuq "jokes"

I can see it now

"Godzilla has a beam, what can Kong do against that?"

Some stupid side character chimes in and says

"Yeah, is he gonna fling his shiiit at Godzilla."

If that line is in this movie or any variation of that... the only one who's gonna loose his collective shiiit is gonna be me.
As long as Dougherty stays far away from this film, hopefully it will not have any of that!
Image Image
goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

That biatch better practice social distancing from any Godzilla movie.