Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus Thead

Post by ZigraDude »

Megaguirus was cool, the music is great, and the final battle between Godzilla and Megaguirus is fun. That's pretty much it. This movie is in my bottom five Godzilla films.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

We got a cool monster, a great score, and some fun battle out of this, but not much else.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I love the back story it establishes at the beginning. All very reasonable and believable reactions to a giant radioactive dinosaur hitting japan. It's this kind of world building that is refined for the Kiryu Saga.

Then black hole guns, shoddy CG bugs, and weird plot structure happened.

Also, this film is so clearly filmed in early generation digital camera and it just looks ugly.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

ZigraDude wrote:Megaguirus was cool, the music is great, and the final battle between Godzilla and Megaguirus is fun. That's pretty much it. This movie is in my bottom five Godzilla films.
I agree with all of this. A fun, stupid movie, but nothing more.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

I enjoy Godzilla vs. Megaguirus a lot. Some interesting concepts such as the Dimension Tide are brought up, with enjoyable human characters to back the action. The battle scenes are innovative and exciting, certainly miles ahead of anything in the Heisei series (minus the grandiose battle in Godzilla vs. Biollante). The best moment comes when Godzilla suddenly breaks Megaguirus' stinger in slowmotion, giving a complete surprise to the audience. Besides all this, Tezuka has a very energetic direction that never bores, unlike the works of former director Takao Okawara.

The major flaws lie in somewhat inconsistent special effects and a needlessly long climax scene, though these are easy to forgive. It's one of my favorite films outside the Showa era.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I have yet to see it in full.

The first time I borrowed the DVD from Blockbuster in 2005. Was boring and by Godzilla's fight with Megagurius, the DVD just stopped and wouldn't go any further.

About a year later I took a copy from Hollywood Video, and found it a lot more interesting, but still ended up losing interest later in and again, the DVD stopped a few minutes earlier.

Been meaning to give it a go on Crackle sometime.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

The G-Graspers were corrupt schnucks.
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

One of the most underrated films in the series, IMO, with a mighty fine fight scene. The plot is completely ridiculous and the G-Graspers are a very poor man's G-Force, but the pacing is good, the bits with Megagurius and her children were entertaining, and we go to see Big G do some things he's never done before (get swarmed by mosquitos, have someone ride his back, do a flying leap). Also, I like the alternate universe history and the flooding of Tokyo.

Tezuka's best Godzilla film.

baragon123
Samurai

Post by baragon123 »

I re-watched this a few days ago, and the last time I watched it was 4-5 years ago. Its not bad. Not the greatest but alot of fun.
Out of the grave, Death is stalking you, You can't escape, YOU'RE EATEN ALIVE!-Eaten Alive by Repulsion

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

I really cannot stand Godzilla X Megaguirus. I hate how it tries to rewrite the history that was already set up in the first film. And even after that, it's pretty boring. The most interesting thing is the human villain, who doesn't start getting good until the last couple scenes.

Other than GFW, this is my least favorite Millennium film.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:I really cannot stand Godzilla X Megaguirus. I hate how it tries to rewrite the history that was already set up in the first film. And even after that, it's pretty boring. The most interesting thing is the human villain, who doesn't start getting good until the last couple scenes.

It doesn't REALLY rewrite history. The Millennium series doesn't really keep any full continuity with the original G54. There's a connection, but every last second of the movie isn't canon.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

JVM wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:I really cannot stand Godzilla X Megaguirus. I hate how it tries to rewrite the history that was already set up in the first film. And even after that, it's pretty boring. The most interesting thing is the human villain, who doesn't start getting good until the last couple scenes.

It doesn't REALLY rewrite history. The Millennium series doesn't really keep any full continuity with the original G54. There's a connection, but every last second of the movie isn't canon.
Well, I think that GMK and the Kiryu Saga do a good job of keeping the film within the continuity of the original film. But GXM doesn't.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Finally watched this movie today, I liked it. It's not the best but also not the worst. My only problem is that you could see the string on Megaguirus when she flies around after emerging for the first time. Sure it was an alternate universe where the original Godzilla was never killed but so what? The blackhole gun idea was a little far fetched and the fact that Godzilla survived 2 was insane.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

GodzillaDude
Futurian

Post by GodzillaDude »

Hedorah wrote:Finally watched this movie today, I liked it. It's not the best but also not the worst. My only problem is that you could see the string on Megaguirus when she flies around after emerging for the first time. Sure it was an alternate universe where the original Godzilla was never killed but so what? The blackhole gun idea was a little far fetched and the fact that Godzilla survived 2 was insane.
Yeah but it just shows how powerful GxM Godzilla can be.
SA
W: 72 L: 72

Instagram: @bloodeejacobreviews

Youtube channel (TV shows, movies, games, horror in general, etc): http://www.youtube.com/c/BloodeeJacob

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Indeed, he survived 1 without using his beam as well
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

ZigraDude
Monarch Researcher

Post by ZigraDude »

Hedorah wrote:Finally watched this movie today, I liked it. It's not the best but also not the worst. My only problem is that you could see the string on Megaguirus when she flies around after emerging for the first time. Sure it was an alternate universe where the original Godzilla was never killed but so what? The blackhole gun idea was a little far fetched and the fact that Godzilla survived 2 was insane.
The string problem is not the film's fault but Sony's DVD. Sony brightened the image so much that the wires and such became visible. It can easily be fixible if you adjust the brightness of your TV.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Haven't noticed the wires. I'll have to look for that.

I like G vs Megaguirus. It could be better, but it was an entertaining film with an interesting sci fi idea. Dimension Tide was a clever idea, even though the creation of such a weapon would've caused international outcry. Megaguirus was a good foe, as well. She put up a good fight, and as far as I remember, Godzilla's never had faced a purple monster before.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I have only watched Godzilla X Megaguirus once an never again, an to be honest i hardly remember anything about it. i just remember hatting the cast worse then i did in Godzilla 2000, I remember Godzilla's atomic ray being Red still which i did not like....but when he started killing all the little flys with it, was a cool scene.

An i thought Megaguirus was a below average monster. Would have rather had several Rodans battling it out with Godzilla.

godzilla1996
Monsterland Worker

Post by godzilla1996 »

This film drags on worse/ om par with Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla. It isn't that good. This movie is kinda like Godzilla vs Megalon. Only watch for monsters, and even they aren't that good. Godzilla is cool, and he does something we haven't seen since Godzilla vs. Megalon. Instead of doing a tail thing, Godzilla jumps in the air, and body slams Megaguiras. Speaking of Megaguiras, she isn't that cool. The only things good about her, is the hole absorb Godzilla's power, and she's original. The fights are cool, and the score's great. I end this in the words of Forest Gump "and that's all I have to say about that."
Formerly known as godzilla2001.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Yeah moderators!
@ omgitsgodzilla, the double rainbow means that Godzilla is on some really good shit

Jamitor27
Samurai

Post by Jamitor27 »

It's an ok movie. I never got into Megaguirus. Just didn't seem like a memorable monster to me. It could have been another flying monster and it wouldn't have changed much. I never liked the idea of changing things from the original movie. That should be the one thing that can never be changed. It was one thing I never liked about most of the millennium series, they changed parts from Gojira. It just wasn't much of a memorable movie to me.