Original Final Wars Godzilla desgin

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Would you have liked the early concept desgin to be used instead?

Yes. It looks way better then Ratzilla.
23%
No, they both look bad but Ratzilla less so.
77%

Total votes: 149

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Re: Original Final Wars Godzilla desgin

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

Kinda reminds me of Bagan's final design...
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

G1 Startruck Jonez
Interpol Agent

Post by G1 Startruck Jonez »

The side profile kinda reminds me of Gorgo.
Design is too Godzilla 2099 for my taste.
Geek Culture for the Geek in us all - https://www.facebook.com/G1and2
Become a fan.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

It flat-out sucks.

Making something different for the sake of being different doesn't make it better. It looks like some bad 90s comic book artists attempt at making Godzilla EDGY, COOL AND TOTALLY HARDCORE AND RELEVANT. This Godzilla probably has split personality, and his Minya struggles with a meth addiction.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

godzilla1996
Monsterland Worker

Post by godzilla1996 »

I won't vote, because there isn't an option to say we like the Final Wars suit. BTW, this looks like Godzilla and Anguiras had a kid. I bet Junior is jealous
Formerly known as godzilla2001.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Yeah moderators!
@ omgitsgodzilla, the double rainbow means that Godzilla is on some really good shit

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

I like the design, but I don't see it working as a Godzilla suit. I think the big turn-off point is the glowing red chest. Unless there is reason for it, I don't see the point to it. Also, the spines go up way too far and don't seem to be shaped like traditional Godzilla spines. I like it, but it doesn't seem to say "King of the Monsters!"
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

Gorosaurus Rex
EDF Instructor

Post by Gorosaurus Rex »

Good Lord that is terrible. I voted yes because I thought this was referring to the designs seen on the promotional material. Shows me right for not reading the whole topic.

Anyways, I still despise the Final Wars Goji. The slim design is cool, but I hate the head and fins.
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote: And Godzilla isn't Pixar. The latter deals with children. The former deals with adults who behave like children.

tokyostateofmind
Monarch Researcher

Post by tokyostateofmind »

I do not like this design at all, even for concept art. I think it is too outlandish and quite frankly sickening. I prefer "Ratzilla" a lot more better than this mutant thing. I just looks like fan art mostly. Was this actually the original design? I always thought that this was the various concept art designs thrown around in the pre-production stage of the movie. I think a model was made for this design because it was simply "cool" to the company who designed and released. If they went with this concept design, boy would I be piisssseeed.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

tokyostateofmind wrote:Was this actually the original design? I always thought that this was the various concept art designs thrown around in the pre-production stage of the movie.
There were a couple designs tossed around for Godzilla, including this gaunt one with an odd color design:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/concept_art/ ... zilla3.htm

Oddly enough, there really isn't concept art for the used design (unless they so heavily modified one of these that it didn't even resemble it anymore).
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

What were the concept artists thinking, really? Surely the artists didn';t expect the designs to be popular after the fiasco that was known as GINO, and for a 50th anniversary? The skinny one looks terrible (Its kinda hard to believe that the artist actually thought that one wold work), and the red-chested one in this thread is pretty bad too.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I agree. I like Godzilla 2004 - he brings something new to the table while also keeping all of Godzilla's trademark designs.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

zilla103192 wrote:i hate this one the most...

http://www.tohokingdom.com/concept_art/ ... zilla2.htm
Oh, f*** no.
"Ratzilla" was always one of my favorite designs. These are just bad IMO.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dash 7 »

It's terrible. Red chest? Get rid of the head spikes and red chest and maybe it would be good.
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

Blackout286 wrote:Guess I'm the only one here who likes this design lol. The only thing I don't like about it is that glowing red chest thing. Take that out and just be a plain normal chest then we'll be all set to go. :)

The overall design looks interesting to me and looks pretty good to me, it's just that chest part that I don't like about it. Would it fit as Godzilla? Maybe as another species of Godzilla, hell yea. I'm open minded enough to accept it, so long as nothing is changed about the character that it's representing like GINO did.
Same here. I actually like this design, but that chest is kinda weird. I wouldn't HATE it if it was used as Goji, but it looks more like some crazy mutant Godzilla, like Biollante (prolly cuz of that glowy red chest ;) ).
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

gojira012
Interpol Agent

Post by gojira012 »

It's good for an evil twin but not actual Godzilla. Besides Actual FW Godzilla combined the best of all past Godzilla looks into one

Brian4205
Monsterland Worker

Post by Brian4205 »

This design should be his next enemy, kinda like how superGodzilla became SpaceGodzilla.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

It kind of looks like a really spiky Gomess. Oh, and it's terrible.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

It's pretty shit.

Like most people, I feel like the headcrest and red chest (say that five times fast) go so far away from Godzilla, they make him look like a different monster.

This kind of reminds me of how DC's new Superman and Batman designs (just to name two) just don't seem to get it. All the little seam lines just amount to pointless noodling (they're obviously not real seams, so why?) and complicate great, classic designs.

Think about it: One of the reasons young budding artist kids latch onto drawing things like Batman, Superman, or Godzilla is because they're simple, clean designs that communicate through the simplicity.

Think of how much Godzilla's spines say about his character. Alone, Godzilla looks scary and all, but when you stand him next to, say, Destroyah, he's obviously the good guy.

If the row of dinosaur type spines on his back is the only freaky type adornment, then obviously he ain't all bad, right?

And let me say I would f'ing hate to be 6 yrs. old again and trying to decipher how do draw all the piping running along the new Batman costume OR trying to draw this mess. These things are fun when you're an experienced artist, but when you're starting out it's just frustrating.

Sorry, bit of a tangent, but this is me getting back around to pointing out my problem with this and most redesigns of Godzilla: The shape of his "spines".

See, one thing that has always been pretty consistent through out all the suits has been the "leaf" shape to the spines.
Even the Mire-Goji kept the branching aspect of them, with 3 rows; a tall middle row and 2 smaller flanking rows. It's not my favorite suit, but it LOOKS like Godzilla to me.

Now look at the Gino suit. The spines were always my #1 problem, and the design had many, but I almost think that if he'd had, oh, Bio-Goji's big awesome spines on his back, it would've gotten a lot more passes from the fans.

I know I would immediately like it more, but it would still be my least favorite.

And here we go, this FW design basically has the same, non-descript hook type spines that do not communicate Godzilla at all. Why take his most dominant feature and make it the most boring aspect of this design?

It's like giving Batman a really short cape but HUGE ears; Just kind of ridiculous and pointless.
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

The red chest reminds me of Biollante's mid section for some reason.

I do kind of like this design, but the head spike have to go. I could live with the red chest thing
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Too bad I can't vote saying that this design sucks, and that even though GFW sucks it didn't mess up the design for Godzilla.