Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2001/GMK)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2001/GMK)

Post by TokyoVigilante »

My favorite Godzilla design, hands down. A glorious return to a traditional colour scheme and physical build. It perfectly blends Dinosaurian features into a classic Godzilla design derived from the original '54 look. It's flexible, imposing, and balanced perfectly. it sports some of the best arrangement of spines since the sixties; shaped wonderfully, solid, and don't overwhelm the rest of the suit.

However, the feet look goofy and strangely large (It does solve the 3 toe/4 toe preference nicely, though) and look awkward on the design. And the white eyes, certainly this Godzilla's trademark feature, don't appeal to me all that much. While it matches the movie for sure, I'd much prefer this design if it had eyes like the Ghidogoji suit, or the Kiryu-goji suit.

This suit also sports my favorite breath effect. Combining the gaseous spray with the energy beam into an impressive attack. The sound also sounds delightfully radioactive.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla (2001/GMK) Discussion Thread

Post by Blackout286 »

This is pretty much the only design that will ever come close to the Original in terms of tone and power IMO. The pupils eyes showing that this Godzilla lacked a soul and was pretty much evil was a very interesting addition and delievered the impression extremely well with ease. This design is solid overall and all around. No question.

Of course, the only flaw I deeply didn't like was the "pot-belly" especially when Godzilla GMK ran over to bite down on King Ghidorah and try to take him out. I know bulk gives Godzilla a impression of power, but sometimes in certain execution shots it fails in doing so.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

It's impossible for me to judge.

There are some shots, like that, where it looks badass and bulky and amazing.

There's also some where he looks tired and fat and stupid.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

Favorite design when it comes to evil Godzillas. Only design that - for me could even compare in realism and bad assness is the Shodai and Mire/Gira suits. Fat zilla rules.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

I like elements of the design, but something is really off, and I'm not sure what it is.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

RodanRedux
Monsterland Worker

Post by RodanRedux »

I don't dig those eyes at all. Not a bad suit though. I agree, those spines were the best they've been in a long time.
-FINIS-

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

It's in my Top 5. Overall it's not as good as the '64 and '54 designs, but it's about on par with '91 and '84 (which I've recently grown to love). It's the best Millenium Godzilla design too. Never really understood the "pot belly" complaint, when such beloved designs as the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park have it (more prominently too).

Character wise, it's the best depicition of Godzilla since the original. Really drives home the point of Gojira.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I personally love this design, despite it's "flaws". The pot belly doesn't bother me, and is only slightly distracting a handful of shots in the film anyway. Regardless, it's easily the best Millennium Godzilla design. (Though the Kiryu-Goji isn't bad)

This is definitely my favorite Godzilla design since the Bio/Ghido-Goji.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

I love this design. It just screams "power". This Godzilla looks like a east you DO NOT want to mess with. I like the white eyes and the other small touches, like the imperfect curve of the spines and the long thumb claw too.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Tyler wrote:I wonder what it would have looked like if they had him walk like he was supposed to, like a real dinosaur. I have a hard time trying to conceptualize that.
Similar to Godzilla 2000. In a way it was a warning from fate that Godzilla should never walk like a dinosaur.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

The reason a lot of people don't understand the pot belly complaint is because they were smart enough to keep most shots from good angles. The problem is there are shots from bad angles that show how fat Godzilla is.

I still love the suit, but there IS a pot belly.

I think it's a suit issue though, not as much design.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Tormentor
Interpol Agent

Post by Tormentor »

JVM wrote:The reason a lot of people don't understand the pot belly complaint is because they were smart enough to keep most shots from good angles. The problem is there are shots from bad angles that show how fat Godzilla is.

I still love the suit, but there IS a pot belly.

I think it's a suit issue though, not as much design.
This.

The pot belly shot in the movie where Godzilla ran down to Ghidorah to bite him on his neck and kick his ass......Well....It kinda made GMK Godzilla look like a fat boy chasing after a ice cream truck.

It didn't look good at all.

Reptile
GPN Volunteer

Post by Reptile »

From the chest up, it's one of my favorite Godzilla suits ever. In addition to the pot belly, everything below that looks a big out of proportion. The facial articulation is great, though.

I'm not sure about the solid white eyes though. I can understand the intention behind it, making Godzilla seem berserk but I can't help but feel that another color might be better than white. Like red or even black.
Last edited by Reptile on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godzilla1996
Monsterland Worker

Post by godzilla1996 »

This Godzilla is awesome. 'Nuff said.
Formerly known as godzilla2001.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Yeah moderators!
@ omgitsgodzilla, the double rainbow means that Godzilla is on some really good shit

RodanRedux
Monsterland Worker

Post by RodanRedux »

Legion1979 wrote:
Chris55 wrote:Killing the defenseless chick in the hospital made Godzilla look like a pussy I thought
I thought that was awesome the first time I saw it. But the more I see it the more cruel and unnecessary it seems.
Well he was playing the villian in that movie, and that's what bad guys do.
-FINIS-

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

That scene is played for laughs, somewhat of a stab at the scene in GINO where Hank Azaria "hilariously" surviveds being trampled by the creature. GMK at first plays like this, but the real joke comes when Godzilla's tail destroys the building. I found it hysterical.

shinmattiathekaiju
EDF Instructor

Post by shinmattiathekaiju »

RodanRedux wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:
Chris55 wrote:Killing the defenseless chick in the hospital made Godzilla look like a pussy I thought
I thought that was awesome the first time I saw it. But the more I see it the more cruel and unnecessary it seems.
Well he was playing the villian in that movie, and that's what bad guys do.
I don't like this kind of jokes(unless they are made by the Monty Python bunch).
Living Corpse wrote:Being underrated and underground is overrated.
Varan Bon Ziller wrote:The lack of Bay is always a plus...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ultramanmattia1

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Tyler wrote:Wasn't she one of the kids who survived Godzilla's island attack... ?
Yeah, I think so. She was the one who claimed that Godzilla was misunderstood, making the scene where Godzilla kills her a lot funnier.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

This is the best godzilla design from the recent flims for sure, from tail to head. The pot belly is indeed distracting and and feet are completely unconvincing, esp in the full body shot right before he vaporizes mothra, but other than those problems it's amazing. The anamatronic facial expressions are the icing on the cake and put the expressions ect in goji 84 to shame.

oh and fyi the eyes aren't pure white: he's got pupils that are a different shade of white, but it's only obvious in the close-ups
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

godzilla898
G-Force Personnel

Post by godzilla898 »

Really love the face, with the (nearly) pupil-less eyes and the fangs. Really seems like 54 Goji, but adds some new things as well. Spines were good. Didn't think the feet were too big, and the tail didn't show often. Really loved his breath charging, totally awesome.
nani sore wrote:Oh my skreeonk god, g898. You are amazing.
GTU wrote: Does that matter? Like 80% of this forum is homoerotic subtext.