Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by Rody »

(The video you linked to has been removed, just to let you know)

I actually saw this a while back, and I'm pretty sure there is (or was) a subtitled version up on YouTube somewhere (Ah, yes, here it is). Personally, I got excited when Asuka cried out, because right after she does we see a laser beam shoot out from the "cross" and chop the angel to pieces - and then we see an eyeball peeking out. I did not see that coming. :o

I am still curious about the movie, but I have heard a lot of mixed comments about it. It sounds like Anno has COMPLETELY changed course with the movie, for better or worse. Hopefully it comes out here soon and I can judge for myself.

Oh, and for the record, the soundtrack is awesome. This has to be Shiro Sagisu's best work yet. :D
Last edited by Rody on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

The first film is almost identical to the first six episodes, although there are a few minor tweaks here and there, mostly for the better.

The second one, though... Indulgent might be an appropriate word. I liked it, and I prefer some of the new angles/modifications presented, but there are moments when one wonders if Anno was enjoying his big budget a little too much (For the record, though, the ending is spectacular).

I suspect 3.0 will make or break the new series for me.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:I don't know. The rebuild series just looks...Indulgent.
How could a project such as Rebuild be anything but?
bleep bloop

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Anything but indulgent. The core of the project is "Ok, so we have Evangelion. Let's tell it again, but bigger, badder, more exciting, more thrilling, more characters, more monsters, better quality, more drama...and of course, more fanservice." If that isn't indulgent, I don't know what is.
bleep bloop

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
Legionmaster wrote:Anything but indulgent. The core of the project is "Ok, so we have Evangelion. Let's tell it again, but bigger, badder, more exciting, more thrilling, more characters, more monsters, better quality, more drama...and of course, more fanservice." If that isn't indulgent, I don't know what is.
....I...Really don't want to bite.

All that. In a couple of movies... :eh:
It's 4 movies. Like 8 hours. Basically, they cut out all the filler from the series to make it a smoother narrative. Plus, all this new stuff that's going to wow us in parts 3 and 4, allegedly.
bleep bloop

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Jomei wrote:VBZ, there's no faster way to sound silly than to comment on a movie you haven't seen. Go watch them and comment after you've actually had the experience.
And even if you don't like the direction they take the story in, watch them for the visuals. This is Gainax with a budget and a purpose, and boy do these movies look pretty.
bleep bloop

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Jomei wrote:And I happen to like the direction they've gone in up to 2.22. It's Evangelion, though, so fans are bound to be divided.
It's been interesting. Really all they've done up to now is riff on what they did before. The next two films should really take us out into left field, especially with part 2 ending the way it did.
bleep bloop

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

I actually watched 3.0 myself. I'll try not to spoil anything with what I have to say for those who haven't spoiled themselves on this movie yet.

3.0 is good (albeit fast paced, clocking in at 98 or so minutes) but you have to go into it with an open mind. What I mean by that is forget what you saw in the original series, because this is going in a totally new direction. I got the impression that if Rebuild had been done as a TV series, the first two films would've made up the first season while 3.0 and ultimately 4.0/FINAL would've been something akin to a season two. There are a good number of changes, but it does retain a tad of sense of continuity from 2.0. Shinji and Kaworu's development is a lot more fleshed out than in the series and you do get a sense of their relationship. It's definitely not as 'creepy' or 'weird' as in the original series. I found their relationship resembling more of a brotherly one. Even though, we do get some very subtle yaoi moments in how Kaworu phrases things like for example, "We are so good together." which is in regards to them playing the piano together in one scene though worded to sound as if they'll be 'good together.' The battle scenes themselves are pretty epic, evident from the six minute opening preview of Unit 02a and Unit 08a battling those 'artificial' angels in space. We also get at least one scene where Shinji has a mental breakdown. A very interesting and visually stimulating sequence if you ask me, which really reminded me a lot of the original series.

Overall, I got the impression that 3.0 is setting up for the events that are to be taken place in the next film, Evangelion Final.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ This is pretty much the response I've seen so far.
ZillaMaster91 wrote:Shinji and Kaworu's development is a lot more fleshed out than in the series and you do get a sense of their relationship. It's definitely not as 'creepy' or 'weird' as in the original series.
THAT I am glad to hear. I like odd/mysterious characters, but Kaworu rubbed me the wrong way in both the show and the manga.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

Rody wrote:^ This is pretty much the response I've seen so far.
ZillaMaster91 wrote:Shinji and Kaworu's development is a lot more fleshed out than in the series and you do get a sense of their relationship. It's definitely not as 'creepy' or 'weird' as in the original series.
THAT I am glad to hear. I like odd/mysterious characters, but Kaworu rubbed me the wrong way in both the show and the manga.
That kitten killing angel bastard! XD
I found him a lot more likable in 3.0 than any other representation of the character. He is kind of like an emotional anchor for an already mind-SKREEONKED Shinji to attach himself to.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Actually, I didn't mind the kitten sequence.

I suspect Kaworu's role all along was to be Shinji's last anchor for friendship - but I felt Kaworu connected way TOO easily & closely to Shinji in the original series, and in the manga he tries too hard.

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

For what I could gather, remember the whole thing after the credits of the second movie? Forget it, all lies, it doesn't reflect the content of the actual film, I don't think anyone will see it coming.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

Terrier wrote:For what I could gather, remember the whole thing after the credits of the second movie? Forget it, all lies, it doesn't reflect the content of the actual film, I don't think anyone will see it coming.
I don't think so. I think of it as events that lead up to the next film.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Made it through NGE. Thought I would like it, ugh,that ending...Decided to watch EOE. UGH. THAT. ENDING. Thinking about watching the Rebuild movies later on.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:Made it through NGE. Thought I would like it, ugh,that ending...Decided to watch EOE. UGH. THAT. ENDING. Thinking about watching the Rebuild movies later on.
In my opinion, Rebuild is an easier pill to swallow when compared to the original anime.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I know the feeling, PIPP. I know the feeling. :-)

...Yes, so far I have found Rebuild much easier to follow and enjoy.

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

Jomei wrote:So... anybody want to talk about 3.0?

I've expressed my thoughts elsewhere, but to summarize: this film is far less satisfying than the previous one and, because of its "disorient the audience through denial of explanation so they can feel like they're in Shinji's shoes" gimmick, suffers from a lack of character development that 2.0 had so much of. Some of the new Eva designs leave something to be desired (Unit 08 is awesome, though), and the lack of Unit 01 action is strange.

But mostly it felt much less complete as a film in its own right than the last two installments did. Yes, they're all part of a series and ultimately depend on one another for cohesiveness, but the last two stood on their own legs better, I think. My feeling as the credits rolled was that, like in End of Evangelion, the second part of the film was going to be screened right after. And, as a matter of fact, that was the original plan with 3.0 and 4.0. But as it stands, we'll have to wait, and because 3.0's effectiveness within the entire project evidently relies so heavily on how its tensions resolve (or don't) in 4.0, I have to reserve much of my judgment until the final film.

I've watched it twice and will see it a third time when UTW puts out their fansub release tonight, and I guess a film that I want to re-watch so soon after seeing it the first time must have something going for it. More than that, though, I'm really excited--no, probably more anxious, unfortunately--to see the final movie.
I get the sense that 3.0 is the set-up for the final film. Whatever questions left open in 2.0 and 3.0 are certainly going to be answered in 4.0 such as: What is the Key of Nebuchadnezzar? What happened in the time-skip between 2.0 and 3.0? What are Adam Vessels? What is Gendo's endgame? I enjoyed 3.0 for the mysteries that it opened and allowed the audience to speculate.

As for the next film, while we do not presently have any information in regards to its release (thank you Hideaki Anno for screwing us over yet again with release dates!) all we can do is predict what happens next. I don't think we're done with Kaworu just yet. Rei is going to come to conclusions with her identity crisis, Shinji will most likely be forced to pilot Unit 01 (like in End of Evangelion) by either Misato, Asuka, Mari, or Sakura, Mass Production Evas are a given from the teaser, FINAL Impact will occur no doubt, and it'll be all up to Shinji to decide the outcome.

While 4.0 will be a completely NEW ending, I don't doubt that the events will somehow play out similar to End of Evangelion except pumped up. I wonder if Anno will lean towards giving Evangelion a happier ending this time around. I doubt it, but he certainly surprised us with 3.0 in general, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Jomei wrote:Evangelion episodes 1-26 and movies 1.0 - 2.0: Shinji, get in the fucking robot you spineless twit!
Evangelion 3.0: Shinji, stay the FUCK away from that robot, or we'll fucking kill you, you brainless twit!
I just really dislike Shinji as a character lol.

And I agree with you on 3.0. It wasn't bad, but honestly I was underwhelmed. Among the complaints you stated, which I'm totally on board with, I also felt like 1.0 and 2.0 were way more action packed and interesting to watch. No real complaints about the story change other than how it was executed.

I'm eagerly awaiting 4.0. My expectations for that one are incredibly high.
Member of TK Since 2006

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Post by ZillaMaster91 »

Jomei wrote:
3000 wrote:
Jomei wrote:Evangelion episodes 1-26 and movies 1.0 - 2.0: Shinji, get in the skreeonk robot you spineless twit!
Evangelion 3.0: Shinji, stay the skreeonk away from that robot, or we'll skreeonk kill you, you brainless twit!
I just really dislike Shinji as a character lol.
And see, I don't get this. For once the guy actually tries to toughen up and do the right thing in a couple scenarios. Sure, it goes horribly wrong, but the hatred of the character doesn't jive with me. A lot of people are pointing fingers and blaming different characters for near third impact, but I think--and hope--Anno's point in this film and with the finale is to show characters finding ways to cope and continue to live.
With this, I leave up the hate that the other characters feel for Shinji up to pure speculation. How were they supposed to know that Shinji had no memory of causing Near Third Impact? A lot could have happened within the 14 year difference between 2.0 and 3.0, so the story of N3I could have been twisted and corrupted by Gendo to make it seem that Shinji intentionally caused it. Regardless, knowing that Shinji ruined the world intentionally or not is enough reason for characters to show hatred and resentment towards him once he returns.

I do expect that Asuka and Misato will forgive him in 4.0 and ultimately force him to pilot Eva just as I mentioned in my last post. After all, Misato hesitated to kill him when he escaped the Wunder when she had the chance. Despite her tough exterior, the old Misato is still in there. Asuka in this movie was a mixed bag for me. At the beginning she desperately cries out for Shinji's help, at which Unit 01 reawakens and destroys the Nemesis Series in orbit, then for the rest of the film she has been nothing for resentful and hateful towards him and intent on killing him, then at the end she helps him... I think Asuka's conflicted with her feelings towards Shinji. While she may resent him for causing N3I, I think she senses that he's not as guilty as others make him out to be. But that's just my speculation.

I actually like Shinji's character in the Rebuild films. He seems to show more balls than he did in the anime series. But by this point now, we're back to where we're at in End of Evangelion. Hopefully it doesn't stay that way. I am one of the few who actually found End of Evangelion an unfitting finale so I hope 4.0 tops it and actually ties loose ends and gives us a much more satisfying ending to the Evangelion story.

Terrier
JXSDF Technician

Post by Terrier »

Shinji endures far more crap than any normal person could take, the way he acts in the series and EoE is understandable, and yet in the end he makes the hardest choice one could possibly make and rejects instrumentality, allowing anyone who is willing to return to do so. All the comments about him "being a pussy" or "having to man up" are fucking stupid. I'm glad the third movie showed that his reality-altering actions had actual consequences.

I don't think the others hate him, it was still better than the angel getting to Lilith; they have probably become distant after 14 years of survival and war against Nerv, plus they may not be sure if Shinji was still the same. I wonder if Asuka knows that Shinji refused to kill her and was willing to be killed instead, and now that she is 28 one can expect her to be far more mature (She now calls him "brat" instead of "idiot").

Since Shinji's wish was bringing Rei back, and granting a wish would destroy all life on earth, and the process was stopped before it reached its end (Though still far enough to kill millions), I would guess that Rei dind't finish comming back, so she may have ceased to exist.

Something I think hasn't been mentioned here are the rumors about these movies somehow taking place after 'The End of Evangelion', instead of being an alternative continuity. Some of the "clues" do have their counter arguments, though.
- The way the first movie starts, in a beach with red wather, is similar to one of the last scennes from EoE. However, the second movie confirmed that most of the sea became red after Second Impact.
- The giant white silhouette near the city at the beggining of the first movie looks similar to the dead MP Evas from The End of Evangelion, who ended up in a crucified position. However, in these movies Sachiel is not the third angel, but the fourth; that silhouette could belong to the third angel that was taken to the moon, dissected, and finally killed by Unit 05 in the second movie.
- The red stain in the moon, similar to that left by the giant Rei in EoE. Again, could have been because of Second Impact or experimenting with the third angel.
- Lilith having two eyes instead of six, as if she was based on the Giant Rei form.
- In 3.0 Lilith does appear as a giant Rei of sorts, though I wonder if it may have something to do with the giant red Rei from the end of 2.0.
- Kaworu's line about "making Shinji happy this time".

Honestly, I would be surprissed if the movies don't turn out to be a continuation.