Yog aka space amoeba OOP?

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
inframan
Yojimbo

Yog aka space amoeba OOP?

Post by inframan »

Not sure if Space Amoeba aka Yog Monster from Space on DVD is OOP but the asking prices on Amazon and eBay suggest so. I found a good deal at DeepDiscount. It took a couple days to process the order, I was worried that they were out of stock since they still have it for a decent price, but I just got a confirmation email that it has shipped.

Just a heads up in case you've slept on this release like I did.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Re: Yog aka space amoeba OOP?

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I'm glad I got it when it was first released. I missed out on Latitude Zero, though. That's going for pretty high prices as well on Amazon.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Some good SHMA material there, in "Space Amoeba". A Gezora would be awesome.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

??? Space Amoeba $12.00 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new

Now I will agree Latitude Zero is going for much more. I'm glad I got it when it first came out.

It seems the older MB releases from 2004-2006 are pretty inexpensive, but after that is when they started having problems and they released much less volume, which in turns drives up prices for OOP titles.

Also keep in mind this is the international dub/edit, not the AIP one (Yog Monster from space), so glad I made a DVR of my VHS copy
Last edited by o.supreme on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

MasonWerx
Interpol Agent

Post by MasonWerx »

If it did go OOP then it must have JUST gone OOP. I got it for 10 plus shipping on amazon back in september and I remember amazon, not marketplace seller, had it for like 17.00. If amazon itself doesn't have it anymore then it probably went oop.

I'm also glad that I grabbed latitude zero back in June. New for $20 + shipping. Now they are asking 80 for a new one, NO THANKS!

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

MasonWerx wrote:If it did go OOP then it must have JUST gone OOP. I got it for 10 plus shipping on amazon back in september and I remember amazon, not marketplace seller, had it for like 17.00. If amazon itself doesn't have it anymore then it probably went oop.

I'm also glad that I grabbed latitude zero back in June. New for $20 + shipping. Now they are asking 80 for a new one, NO THANKS!
Yep, which would also indicate that Atragon probably isn't far behind, likely running on the "fumes" of a larger amount of stock on Amazon as that one is still for sale directly.

Be interesting to see, a couple of years from now assuming no new releases, which of these non-Godzilla titles are commanding the largest price tag from the second hand market.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Arbok wrote:Be interesting to see, a couple of years from now assuming no new releases, which of these non-Godzilla titles are commanding the largest price tag from the second hand market.
Excellent Question! Based on current trends I'd say Latitude Zero. It was the last Toho Non-Godzilla film released before DAM, and I'm guessing had the fewest copies made. It is odd how this relates only to Toho films. Toei's Legend of the Dinosaurs and Monster Birds released on DVD by MB around the same time dosen't have nearly the same value.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

inframan
Yojimbo

Post by inframan »

I guess Amazon was out of stock the day I checked, good to finally have this title anyway. I still have the VHS with the AIP, so this will round out the Yog collection. I'll have to look into those other titles you guys mentioned.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Amazon constantly goes in and out of stock on these MB titles. It's hard to tell if they're permanently out of stock. Give it a month or two, and they should probably be back in stock with normal prices.

At least I hope so, I still need to get Mantago, Dogora, and Latitude Zero.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ $12? That says SIXTY! :shock:

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

^It was $12 the other day at least, from what I saw. It either got snatched up or the seller caught on with the other prices.

inframan
Yojimbo

Post by inframan »

I found two online stores that had Latitude Zero listed, ordered them both, I got emails from both saying "back ordered." One cancelled and the other is shipping out. Try Anime Nation, they might still have a few in stock.

StriderSubzero
Monsterland Worker

Post by StriderSubzero »

Sorry to bump this after so long, but I finally got some news from Media Blasters.

Apparently Space Amoeba actually went OOP quite a while ago, and Frankenstein Conquers the World just recently went out of print. Dang.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Greetings,

Since dub restorations are a very hot topic as of late, I wanted to raise an issue for concern over Yog Monster From Space especially, since I myself feel partly responsible. You see, back in 1991 I purchased via catalog the film on VHS. It was from a small distributor out of New York, but at least he was selling actual Videos and not bootlegs. I was just happy to have the film, since I had never seen it on TV. It was from a small distributor called Amvest, and featured an intro by Al Lewis (Grampa Munster) himself!

THIS: was actually my copy I submitted pics of for the article
https://www.tohokingdom.com/articles/im ... amvest.htm

Unfortunately when I first got a VHS to DVD converter, there was a learning curve. Many DVD's I was burning had sync issues due to different speeds the VHS tapes played at etc... and my copy of Yog was one I just could not get right. Unfortunately, the tape actually broke during one of my attempts. I was initially distraught, but then quickly obtained a copy of the (apparently more readily available) Trans Atlantic VHS release, and hastily threw away my Amvest one....BIG MISTAKE

As some of you know. THAT copy has a whole scene out of sync. Even some bootleggers have offered it on DVD not knowing about the issue. Now the good news is...I KNOW the Amvest copy didn't have that problem. The bad news is....nearly 30 years later, trying to track one down has become extremely difficult.

I never saw any VHS films from Amvest sold in stores near me, but I have seen them (for example on James Rolfe's Cinemassacre Youtube Channel, his VHS collection has some of them prominently displayed), which leads me to believe, it may have been an *East Coast* distributor.

So my question is simply...Does anyone happen to have this particular VHS tape? Or failing that...does anyone have a fully in tact copy of Yog Monster from Space they'd be willing to exchange with me? (PM please).
Last edited by o.supreme on Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I own a DVD-R of Yog although I have no clue what VHS it was sourced from.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Stump Feet wrote:I own a DVD-R of Yog although I have no clue what VHS it was sourced from.
When you have some time, can you give it a watch to see if it has this scene out of Sync?

Thanks in advance T!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Certainly, I’ll get back with you in an hour or two.

Added in 1 hour 23 minutes 5 seconds:
Ok, just checked it out- no, that scene’s totally in-sync on my copy.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting