Celebrity Obituaries and Passings

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Celebrity Obituaries and Passings

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:04 am Actor Lance Reddick, known for "John Wick", "The Wire" and "Godzilla vs Kong", has been found dead in his home by law enforcement from seemingly natural causes. He was 60.
Man, even with a natural cause of death, 60 just feels too young. R.I.P

Always feel an extra pinch of sadness whenever it's someone who worked on a franchise I know.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:04 am Actor Lance Reddick, known for "John Wick", "The Wire" and "Godzilla vs Kong", has been found dead in his home by law enforcement from seemingly natural causes. He was 60.

Talk about out of left field. Been a fan of his since FRINGE. One of the problems I had with GODZILLA Vs. KONG was him only being one scene. Sixty is just way too young to go. My condolences to his family and friends.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Awful news man. I'll b watching JW4 with an extra tinge of sadness next weekend. He was especially great on Fringe.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

RIP Jiro Dan (AKA Hideki Go) of Return of Ultraman fame.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:33 pm RIP Jiro Dan (AKA Hideki Go) of Return of Ultraman fame.
Aw man :(
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Weirdly enough, Godzilla Island is airing on Youtube and is finally getting official English subs. Jiro Dan plays the main commander.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Just saw that. Too bad. Go was easily one of my favorite Ultra hosts.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

How sadly ironic timing. Just when Godzilla Island has started airing with subs, this happens.

R.I.P. Commander :(

G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

EarthNeronga
Gotengo Officer

Post by EarthNeronga »

Farewell Jiro Dan, Farewell Hideko Go,Farewell Ultraman!
Showa Goji best Godzilla

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Christopher Gunning, well known as the main composer in the Poirot TV series, has passed away.

R.I.P. :(

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/03/25 ... 1944-2023/
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

RIP to Sadao Iizuka, famed optical effects artist from the Showa era.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:33 pm RIP Jiro Dan (AKA Hideki Go) of Return of Ultraman fame.
This one truly hits hard. He's been one of my favorite actors of the Ultra series. Even remember during my time of studying Japanology how my professor watched a documentary on a Japanese city with us and Jiro Dan being the main protagonist. Such a weird feeling back then seeing him there and instantly recognizing him while knowing that all those manga otakus around me would have no clue who he is.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:50 pm Rip to Sadao Iizuka, famed optical effects artist from the Showa era.
What an amazing tokusatsu career.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:50 pm Rip to Sadao Iizuka, famed optical effects artist from the Showa era.
Godzilla's atomic breath and Ultraman's specium beam, among MANY other famous kaiju attacks, literally would not exist without this man. I hope he passed on knowing the legacy he left behind.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Really an underrated legend. His hands touched so many projects.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:50 pm RIP to Sadao Iizuka, famed optical effects artist from the Showa era.
R.I.P. Iizuka-san :(

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Sakamoto Ryuichi, of YMO fame, has passed away.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news ... ries/2359/
https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/r ... index.html

In my opinion, this article has a nice summation of events:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/20 ... moto-dies/

YMO is one of my favorite Japanese music acts, and it's a shame. Mr. Sakamoto was also a film composer, and scored Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, a film that I regrettably haven't seen, but keep reminding myself to. I might watch it soon.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

The main theme of Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence has been one of my favorites since I first heard it.

R.I.P. Sakamoto-san :(

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^He was created the Soundtrack to The Adventure of Chatran (Otherwise known as Milo and Otis). Hard not to think about the movie without the controversies surrounding its production.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:50 pm ^He was famous for the original Soundtrack to The Adventure of Chatran (Otherwise known as Milo and Otis). He's joined the dozens of cats and dogs who were allegedly killed in the making of the film.
What?

I've stated at this post a couple of times, unsure how to respond, with a mixture of confusion, dismay, and anger. I've decided the best course of action is to address things point-by-point:

A) He's not famous for composing The Adventure of Chatran. He's famous for being a core member of one of the most influential Japanese electronic/house groups, YMO and composing scores for films, many much more famous than the Adventure of Chatran.

B) Even if he composed Milo and Otis, how did you connect the dots and somehow reach the conclusion that he's somehow an animal abuser. The animal abuse allegations are unsubstantiated as far as I can tell. There's a few things about the film specifically that make the entire thing incredibly suspicious to really make any solid conclusion.

What an absolutely bizarre thing to post after someone dies.