Gorgo is coming back

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Gorgo is coming back

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:39 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:09 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:19 am I'm really excited because they hinted at the Giant Claw, Reptilicus and Yonggary next if this works out.
You know, as much flack as The Giant Claw gets (kinda rightly) for the hilarious design, it's actually not a bad movie for the genre during that era. And as goofy looking as that design is, it's kinda what gives it the lasting charm it does have.

That said I'm most excited for Reptilicus as it's one of the earliest giant monster movies I remember watching on tv as a kid. Not the best or most original film, but there's something to be said for that kind of nostalgia. As silly as the effects were even back then, as a kindergartener or perhaps even preschooler seeing people gobbled up by a giant monster is always a little frightening and memorable. And the ending where you knew the leg could regenerate the monster back really stuck with me.
Same. Reptilicus was my first non Godzilla kaiju film. I even thought Manda was Reptilicus the first time I saw Destroy all Monsters.
Oddly I think Destroy All Monsters was one of the few Godzilla films I missed on tv in my early childhood, so by the point I did see it I was old enough to know it wasn't Reptilicus, even if I hadn't seen Manda's movie yet (and shockingly I think I still haven't - it's Atragon right?). But if I had caught it when I was younger I might have made that mistake too, because now that you bring it up they are very similar looking. I never noticed that before, cool!

While I was a older kid when I finally saw saw Destroy All Monsters, at least I was still a kid when I got to see it. Unlike Son of Godzilla or Ebirah where I was already an adult. Growing up I watched every Godzilla movie that I noticed was on tv and remember yearly Godzilla marathons on one of the channels (AMC maybe? I can't remember anymore, but I want to say it was the same channel that did Dinner and a Movie if anyone remembers that from the 90's), but somehow I never caught those two films. I only really knew of Son of Godzilla because of All Monsters Attack/Godzilla's Revenge. Yeah I know it's considered one of the "worst" Godzilla movies and all, but I've always had a soft spot for it and kind of like it. It's the one Godzilla movie whose premise I would most love to see get adapted into a Studio Ghibli film.

New kaiju kids today are so lucky, if they want to watch a movie they can find it and stream it instantly. I remember when the only Godzilla movie I could watch anytime I wanted was vs Megalon because I had the VHS. Now I have every Toho Godzilla movie on DVD and can stream them on tubi. And I can rewatch Reptilicus, Yongarry, and Gorgo any time I want too.^_^
Last edited by Vakanai on Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:02 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:09 pm

You know, as much flack as The Giant Claw gets (kinda rightly) for the hilarious design, it's actually not a bad movie for the genre during that era. And as goofy looking as that design is, it's kinda what gives it the lasting charm it does have.

That said I'm most excited for Reptilicus as it's one of the earliest giant monster movies I remember watching on tv as a kid. Not the best or most original film, but there's something to be said for that kind of nostalgia. As silly as the effects were even back then, as a kindergartener or perhaps even preschooler seeing people gobbled up by a giant monster is always a little frightening and memorable. And the ending where you knew the leg could regenerate the monster back really stuck with me.
Same. Reptilicus was my first non Godzilla kaiju film. I even thought Manda was Reptilicus the first time I saw Destroy all Monsters.
Oddly I think Destroy All Monsters was one of the few Godzilla films I missed on tv in my early childhood, so by the point I did see it I was old enough to know it wasn't Reptilicus, even if I hadn't seen Manda's movie yet (and shockingly I think I still haven't - it's Atragon right?). But if I had caught it when I was younger I might have made that mistake too, because now that you bring it up they are very similar looking. I never noticed that before, cool!

While I was a older kid when I finally saw saw Destroy All Monsters, at least I was still a kid when I got to see it. Unlike Son of Godzilla or Ebirah where I was already an adult. Growing up I watched every Godzilla movie that I noticed was on tv and remember yearly Godzilla marathons on one of the channels (AMC maybe? I can't remember anymore, but I want to say it was the same channel that did Dinner and a Movie if anyone remembers that from the 90's), but somehow I never caught those two films. I only really knew of Son of Godzilla because of All Monsters Attack/Godzilla's Revenge. Yeah I know it's considered one of the "worst" Godzilla movies and all, but I've always had a soft spot for it and kind of like it. It's the one Godzilla movie whose premise I would most love to see get adapted into a Studio Ghibli film.

New kaiju kids today are so lucky, if they want to watch a movie they can find it and stream it instantly. I remember when the only Godzilla movie I could watch anytime I wanted was vs Megalon because I had the VHS. Now I have every Toho Godzilla movie on DVD and can stream them on tubi. And I can rewatch Reptilicus, Yongarry, and Gorgo any time I want too.^_^
Dinner & A Movie was on TBS.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

The One and Only wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:13 pm

That was it! Didn't they use to do a Godzilla marathon every...crap, think it was some holiday. But I'm pretty sure it was that channel yeah. Or I'm completely remembering this wrong. It was either them or another channel I forgot the name of but primarily played action shows and movies I think.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Going back to The Giant Claw, it's the best example of the paint by numbers sci fi/monster film, though it has some inventive ideas and snappy dialogue.

Gorgo is the better movie, but Reptilicus is an entertaining bit of fun. I'm glad to see both getting some attention.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:24 pm
The One and Only wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:13 pm

That was it! Didn't they use to do a Godzilla marathon every...crap, think it was some holiday. But I'm pretty sure it was that channel yeah. Or I'm completely remembering this wrong. It was either them or another channel I forgot the name of but primarily played action shows and movies I think.
TNT did a Godzillathon theme on Monstervision quite a bit, willing to bet Gorgo, Konga, Reptilicus and Yonggary all played on it.
Last edited by Mr. Yellow on Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

AMC had a Halloween marathon in 97, they played every Godzilla film accept GvsMG2 during it. 5 year old me missed Godzilla vs Mothra because I thought they were replaying Mothra vs Godzilla and I fell asleep during Destoroyah. Fun fact I thought Burning Godzilla was Destroyah as a kid and Godzilla was going to show up and confront him.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Gorgo (Ogra?) articulated figure is now available for pre-order!
https://titaniccreations.com/gorgo

Likewise, a brief animation was released in commemoration: https://twitter.com/Titanicreations/sta ... 2842249216

Oh lol, looks like there's more discussion to be had regarding the figure here -- https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34116
Last edited by GigaBowserG on Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Completely soured on the unprofessional behavior from the company, but Dopepope and the video animator did a fantastic job, would love to see more collabs between the two of them.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:22 pm Completely soured on the unprofessional behavior from the company, but Dopepope and the video animator did a fantastic job, would love to see more collabs between the two of them.
What did you say exactly?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:45 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:22 pm Completely soured on the unprofessional behavior from the company, but Dopepope and the video animator did a fantastic job, would love to see more collabs between the two of them.
Without ranting too much beyond the other Gorgo thread, I respectfully said (Because I originally had intent to purchase after the 350 sold), they should really put out a painted physical sample (like so many other small time studios do) for buyer confidence, as $100 upfront for a 3D model render (as great as DopePope does) doesn't feel like the right move considering how easily quality control can affect a figure's release. After this comment, I was blocked. So that not only raises red flags for me, but it feels so grimy to me that they're this opposed to fair and polite criticism. They've certainly lost me as a future customer, and it sucks because I was looking forward to what they'd do with the line.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:56 pm
Without ranting too much beyond the other Gorgo thread, I respectfully said (Because I originally had intent to purchase after the 350 sold), they should really put out a painted physical sample (like so many other small time studios do) for buyer confidence, as $100 upfront for a 3D model render (as great as DopePope does) doesn't feel like the right move considering how easily quality control can affect a figure's release. After this comment, I was blocked. So that not only raises red flags for me, but it feels so grimy to me that they're this opposed to fair and polite criticism. They've certainly lost me as a future customer, and it sucks because I was looking forward to what they'd do with the line.
J-Navs, you committed the cardinal sin of RUINING Gorgo day.

It seems like they wanted to rush this out for Gorgo Day, and that's probably why they didn't have a physical figure yet. Your points are absolutely right though. The model is good, but what about the paint or final version? I guess we can keep this to the Gorgo thread in the toy section.

Anyways, confession: I've never seen Gorgo in it's entirety. I do like the few clips I've seen of it, with the the monster attacking the clock-tower (?). There's something about it that is really horrific. I think the monster's design is good enough. But then I read up on the actual plot, and it's stuff that's been far too overplayed. Mothra vs. Godzilla, Gappa, etc...
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:11 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:56 pm

J-Navs, you committed the cardinal sin of RUINING Gorgo day.

It seems like they wanted to rush this out for Gorgo Day, and that's probably why they didn't have a physical figure yet. Your points are absolutely right though. The model is good, but what about the paint or final version? I guess we can keep this to the Gorgo thread in the toy section.

Anyways, confession: I've never seen Gorgo in it's entirety. I do like the few clips I've seen of it, with the the monster attacking the clock-tower (?). There's something about it that is really horrific. I think the monster's design is good enough. But then I read up on the actual plot, and it's stuff that's been far too overplayed. Mothra vs. Godzilla, Gappa, etc...
Ah yes of course! I apologize to all my fellow Gorgonites :lol:

Honestly I haven't watched the C lister Kaiju films like Gappa, Gorgo, and Pulgasari, in so long, I had to be like 6 the last time I saw them.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

I must admit that the last time I saw Gorgo was on VHS, which speaks to how long its been. I'll have to get the Blu-Ray later this week and rewatch it maybe this weekend for the first time in a couple decades. I do remember liking it a lot as a kid, though that was mainly because I liked monster movies where the monsters lived in the end. ;)
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:11 pm But then I read up on the actual plot, and it's stuff that's been far too overplayed. Mothra vs. Godzilla, Gappa, etc...
The thing that strikes me is that Gorgo was one of the first to do it, though. The movie even came out before Mothra (1961)!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:50 pm The thing that strikes me is that Gorgo was one of the first to do it, though. The movie even came out before Mothra (1961)!
That's true. It's a film that suffers from everything after it aping it so hard that it begins to feel cliche. If I give it another chance I'll keep that in mind.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:54 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:50 pm The thing that strikes me is that Gorgo was one of the first to do it, though. The movie even came out before Mothra (1961)!
That's true. It's a film that suffers from everything after it aping it so hard that it begins to feel cliche. If I give it another chance I'll keep that in mind.
It's a basic film but with it just because it's a kaiju film. It's not bad just predictable.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Matt Frank shared a few thoughts of his own on Twitter that more or less sum up my feelings on the positives of the film (though I must reiterate, as someone who hasn't seen the film in a great many years, I don't know if the rest of the film holds up as well - I've heard several describe most of it as boring, which is how a lot of these movies went back then).
Naturally I've been mired in the original GORGO while working on the action figure (and other things...) and this movie really is kind of ahead of its time. A non-Japanese monster movie from the 60's almost NEVER let the monster live, much less WIN.

The film is positively apocalyptic by the climax, in a way that no other monster movie had really achieved since the original Godzilla at the time. It feel claustrophobic and frantic as Mama Gorgo obliterates London like a towering spectre of unstoppable rage.

In a way, the film seems to be a refutation of everything humankind (MANkind, specifically the men who dominate the film) thinks is how the world is supposed to work. From the gormandizing main characters to the arrogant military that thinks it can stop Her...

The government doesn't even bother evacuating London, because of their absolute certainty that they'll be able to kill the Mother. Which dovetails into the panicked crowd scenes, something of a rarity in the films by Toho and Daiei which tends to have orderly evacuations.
https://twitter.com/spankzilla85

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Huh, well, Matt Frank's take and analysis, within the context of other monster films, does make it unique. He's right, the monster does live, and the details on having widespread panic and a monster attacking a full city are pretty rare. I'm not sure how much the gendered critique is intentional, but it's certainly an interesting lens to view it from when I rewatch it. Kinda funny because I've always disregarded Gorgo in a span of a few posts I've gotten an itch to sit down and watch it. In any case, his art there is fantastic.

Added in 37 minutes 51 seconds:
Further snowballing, I do think Eugène Lourié, the director of Gorgo, is an unappreciated part of "giant monster" or "kaiju cinema". I realized by doing some research on Gorgo that he also directed, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, and The Giant Behemoth. That's pretty impressive! That's three giant monster films, with one possibly playing a role in Godzilla's creation and the other being an alright flick. All his work predates Gamera, Ultraman, and a good chunk of the Godzilla series and Toho stuff.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

His dinosaur trilogy is what he's mainly remembered for, though he felt those films type casted him as a sci fi director.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:11 pm Anyways, confession: I've never seen Gorgo in it's entirety. I do like the few clips I've seen of it, with the the monster attacking the clock-tower (?). There's something about it that is really horrific. I think the monster's design is good enough. But then I read up on the actual plot, and it's stuff that's been far too overplayed. Mothra vs. Godzilla, Gappa, etc...
Having seen these movies - Gorgo is definitely worth the watch. It does the concept much better than Gappa, and in my opinion arguably better than Mothra vs Godzilla (I think it being a solo film works to its advantage for this specific type of plot). However I feel Mothra's solo film is the best made film for this subgenre I guess, even if it loses something for having it be fairies taken instead of monster-y offspring.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Both Gorgo and Mothra are fine kaiju films. If you want a more traditional or dark kaiju film, Gorgo is the one to watch. If you want something slightly different and lighter, Mothra is perfect.