The Godzilla Cringe Thread

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Voyager
Keizer

Re: The Godzilla Cringe Thread

Post by Voyager »

It’s not worth losing sleep over if you ask me — we live in an unprecedented time of knowledge where limitless information is at the finger tips of countless fans. If they know it, that’s awesome! If they don’t, it’s a drop out of the sea.

The English language titles in the 70s films especially I find misleading. Monster Zero, Sea Monster and Revenge are great though.
For Emperor and Empire!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:27 pm
Legion1979 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:11 pm Perhaps, but will it really matter much to them if those versions aren't actually out there abd easily found? Even if they know about them I wonder if future generations are even going to care.
Most probably won't. I'm not going to lie and say it's a big deal; they have easy access to the original Japanese versions of the movies, and that's what counts.
But the only reason they're stuck ONLY being able to legally watch those versions is because Toho themselves have decided that the American versions no longer exist, and they're going out of their their way to erase history.

Honestly, it's pretty gross. There's a lot of things Toho does these days that I don't like, and their revisionist history of the movies (from titles, the monster names to plot points that become canon decades after the fact) is the absolute worst.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Woah what monster names changed that happened? That's nuts!

I want all dubs restored and preserved. I prefer the international dubs by a mile, but keeping the American editions out of sight is real bad. I have a few ideas as to why they're doing this... None of them are good, but make sense in their Toho brains.

SpiderZilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by SpiderZilla »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:16 am I find AMA most confusing because it's so similar to "Destroy All Monsters."
I’ve had at least one person confuse AMA with GMK when I referred to the latter by its full title.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:58 pm Woah what monster names changed that happened? That's nuts!
I'm referring to the weird way Toho insists they should be spelled.
I want all dubs restored and preserved. I prefer the international dubs by a mile, but keeping the American editions out of sight is real bad. I have a few ideas as to why they're doing this... None of them are good, but make sense in their Toho brains.
I've heard lots of stories, but I just personally think Toho has a very specific idea of how Godzilla should be presented in this country, and the old Americans go against that.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I kind of don't blame them for feeling that way, since a lot of boomers and older movie critics were pretty damned racist in their reviews for their kaiju movies back in the day! Movie reviews shifted to a really harsh negative tone by the mid 1960s. Even so, removing American dubs from general availablity is something I can't ever support.

In regards to the monster names, is this about names like , King Ghidorah, Hedorah, Megalon, and Anguirus? Because hearing HE-DRUH/HE-DRAH in that American dub was just so jarring, its one of the reasons I prefer the International Dub (even with the hilarious WHAT A BEAUTIFUL HOUSE IT IS line). Anguirus's name being all over the place is a victim of just strange translations. I grew up hearing Angilas in the dubs, but Anguirus isn't a deal breaker for me. Megalon is MEGARO or I suppose MEGALO in Japanese, but the way its pronounced in Japanese not lining up with the way name is spelled in English is a curiosity. Another name that I think was pronounced and spelled in such a deliberate way was Destoroyah. Can't copyright something as simple as Destroyer.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

'Minilla' annoys me the most. It's kind of clunky to say, isn't easily recognizable as a contraction of 'Mini Godzilla', and just ends up sounding awkwardly like 'Manilla'. 'Minya' might not mean anything, but it just sounds better as a name.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

JAGzilla wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:36 pm 'Minilla' annoys me the most. It's kind of clunky to say, isn't easily recognizable as a contraction of 'Mini Godzilla', and just ends up sounding awkwardly like 'Manilla'. 'Minya' might not mean anything, but it just sounds better as a name.
100% agree. I've begrudgingly accepted typing it out as "Minilla" but when I speak it, I still say "Min-yuh."
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

shadowgigan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:37 am Well, now we know what happened to Mark Jaramillo from Kaiju Gaiden
Yup. I dont know why the thread about it got locked though. Did something happen last night?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:46 am
shadowgigan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:37 am Well, now we know what happened to Mark Jaramillo from Kaiju Gaiden
Yup. I dont know why the thread about it got locked though. Did something happen last night?
I don’t know, I didn’t check. I found out the news a few days ago and saw it was confirmed today. I thought it may have been a different Mark.

Now I feel like our chances of seeing these films are sufficiently diminished.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

shadowgigan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:55 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:46 am
I don’t know, I didn’t check. I found out the news a few days ago and saw it was confirmed today. I thought it may have been a different Mark.

Now I feel like our chances of seeing these films are sufficiently diminished.
An extremely small price to pay for a bunch of pedophiles getting outed.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

This is all real gross and necessary to point out. Fuck him.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

It is honestly sad how one of the guys working on the movie necro'd the thread and tried acting like Mark was totally innocent. "NO GUYS, MARK JUST WANTED TO MAKE THE GODZILLA FANDOM A BETTER PLACE. I SWEAR!"

And it had been dead since February of 2019, so it sure as heck wasn't any coincidence lmao

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Way to throw away decades of being a "name" in this fandom, Mark.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I suppose Im too young to know anything about this guy. Hell, I was too young to know who Deadzilla was back when that controversy dropped, but in any case, fuck him and fuck whatever shitty film he was doing.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I honestly can't wait for when some other creep ass fandom celebrities/influencers get exposed. My money is still on lolicon boy from NMI.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:10 am It is honestly sad how one of the guys working on the movie necro'd the thread and tried acting like Mark was totally innocent. "NO GUYS, MARK JUST WANTED TO MAKE THE GODZILLA FANDOM A BETTER PLACE. I SWEAR!"

And it had been dead since February of 2019, so it sure as heck wasn't any coincidence lmao
Oh, wow. I didn't even see that. What an odd move, to think it would work. That person had to know what was coming out.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Yeah the choice to necro the thread right as…well, this came out to light and at the same time completely sideline it to focus on defending Mark’s “ego” is not only distasteful but also raises the mother of all red flags.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

It's really odd and, if it is a just an insane coincidence, I wish they would come back and explain themselves. But I doubt that will happen. Really odd and distasteful given the seriousness of what he was charged with.