Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by Legion1979 »

GXGF, just looking at the link you posted. Just as an FYI, this is absolutely not supposed to represent Varan as he appeared in DAM. This is 100% the Varan suit from the original 1958 movie. Even the tag reflect this. If you want this look like the DAM version I suggest you let your dog play with it for a while or leave it outside for a few months.

Also want to point out that there's an entire world outside the 6" scale of MonsterArts, NECA and the Movie Monster Series. Paired up with one of the 8" Bandais from the 90s Varan fits right in.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I’m waiting on mine; I’m curious how it will scale with my 8 inch Memorial Box figures. I no longer have a 6 inch Anguirus but I do have the 8 inch one, so that will be an interesting comparison.

It almost seems like a catch-all for both scales.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:27 pm GXGF, just looking at the link you posted. Just as an FYI, this is absolutely not supposed to represent Varan as he appeared in DAM. This is 100% the Varan suit from the original 1958 movie. Even the tag reflect this. If you want this look like the DAM version I suggest you let your dog play with it for a while or leave it outside for a few months.

Also want to point out that there's an entire world outside the 6" scale of MonsterArts, NECA and the Movie Monster Series. Paired up with one of the 8" Bandais from the 90s Varan fits right in.
Lol yea I think if I let my dog play with it for a while it might look worse than the DAM puppet. While the tag has the 58 picture, the color scheme and less prominent head spikes are reminiscent of the 68 puppet. In terms of the scale, 6 inch is what I collect primarily so that is my focus. I have a few 8-inch figures from earlier in collecting days but as pointed out in the previous page, they are Millenium figures and are a bit bulky. Don't foresee myself going back into the 8-inch scale game anytime soon.

Hope that the photos serve how nicely sculpted the Varan is and size comparisons with 6-inch scale figures people may own.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The original Varan suit was actually similar to the color of the Bandai. Only one color photo of the suit exists, but it's close enough to this figure.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Thats the main reason why the paintjob ultimately doesnt bother me. Varan sorta already is just one color. A bit of dry brushing would be nice but ultimately it looks how its supposed to look and thats all I really care about.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Gamera 1996 has a page on HobbyLink Japan now, currently listed for "November release":

https://www.hlj.com/movie-monster-serie ... bann81007#

Let's see if it's actually in stock in time for Black Friday...

*EDIT* He's in stock now!!
https://www.hlj.com/movie-monster-serie ... -bann81007
Last edited by Rody on Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I know MMS can be 'deceptive' on articulation, but that Gamera 1996 looks like it has more joints than my 1995 (which, with legs, arms, and tail, is more than most). I wonder if those elbows and knees actually work, or if they're just where parts are glued on for attachment?
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Photos of Gamera 1996 are starting to show up on Twitter.
So far it's looking quite good; I'm curious to know what the articulation is like and if the joints are locked or not.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I stand by my opinion that this is the best figure mainline MMS has ever put out.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Yeah, the sculpt it very good. All the Gamera sculpts have been top-tier lately. Iris and Legion especially. I think this is definitely the best of the three Gamera figures so far.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Although all the new MMS Gameras come off a tad too big for my taste, I second the opinion that they all rank amongst BANDAI's top vinyl sculpts overall.

Now all I personally still really want from the MMS are sculpts of the few main Godzilla incarnations that are still missing in the 6" scale: G'89, GMK, GxM & Tokyo SOS...
Size DOES matter!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I will give a hot take though: Im not sure yet that I like this one BETTER than the original 96. I'd say its definitely an objective improvement, but when it comes to my subjective opinion, I always LOVED how the original one looked. It was so fierce and aggressive looking, hunched over and ready. And I loved the closed mouth.

Can't say definitively until I get the new one in hand.

Added in 1 minute 21 seconds:
Petezilla wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:20 am Now all I personally still really want from the MMS are sculpts of the few main Godzilla incarnations that are still missing in the 6" scale: G'89, GMK, GxM & Tokyo SOS...
With the new Kiryu, I wouldn't be too surprised if we got an announcement for at least 2002, if not 2003. 89 would be nice to have, perhaps with a closed mouth to make it stand out against the 91 a bit more.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

It would just be too fine to FINALLY have every major Goji suit design as a figure in the same style within a consistent lineup from the same manufacturer. Well, we'd also need G'98/Gino then...
Size DOES matter!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm really shocked the GMK abd Kiryu Godzillas haven't been added to the MMS series. Bandai has done them all before and they all looked great, so why not just get those molds shrunk down and release 6" versions.

I dont expect a 1989 Godzilla any time soon, if ever. The 1991 figure is too new, unless they remold it with an alternate head (perhaps with a closed mouth and darker painted eyes) and release it as a Godzilla Store exclusive.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I'm surprised it took over a year to get Gamera 1996. Figured he would have been simultaneously released with Legion.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Gamera ‘96 looks incredible. That’s definitely going on the list of must gets (alongside Irys and Legion I still need to pick up)

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

Petezilla wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:20 am Although all the new MMS Gameras come off a tad too big for my taste, I second the opinion that they all rank amongst BANDAI's top vinyl sculpts overall.

Now all I personally still really want from the MMS are sculpts of the few main Godzilla incarnations that are still missing in the 6" scale: G'89, GMK, GxM & Tokyo SOS...

Yes those versions of Godzilla long overdue for a release. A 1973 and 1998 Godzilla/ Zilla would be great too.

And if Bandai wanted to get creative they could alter the head of the 64 Godzilla and give us a version from Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster and how about altering the the 68 Godzilla with a burnt eye and hands and we could have a 1971 version from Godzilla vs Hedorah?

And a new Gamera/Toto and Zedus figures would be awesome to.
Last edited by onerichman on Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I think a 1973 Godzilla is very possible, what with Megalon having its 50th next year. A reissue/retool of the 1974 would make a lot of sense.

Zilla 2004 (as opposed to 1998) might also not be too unrealistic, as Bandai seems to be unveiling a lot of Final Wars characters as of late.
Last edited by Creature22 on Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

The last few anniversaries have been exciting for Bandai and Toho, but we've only really seen a new Hedorah 1971 as a direct anniversary film tie-in. We didn't get any new figures from the original Godzilla vs. Gigan this year. So I'd love to see Godzilla '71 or '73 show up but it doesn't seem to fit their track record. Still, it'd be a fun way to celebrate Godzilla vs. Megalon and let them make a semi-new figure. More likely we'll see some kind of variant Megalon. This is even less likely but I think it'd be neat to do a pose variant, ala flying JJ, where Megalon has his arms bent at the elbow or something.

I do think Bandai would be genuinely smart to dedicate a year or two to finishing the Destroy All Monsters roster - Gorosaurus and Varan both won the poll and we have Godzilla '68 already, now a Showa Baragon is coming. I doubt Showa incarnations of Mothra, Rodan, Minilla or King Ghidorah would do any worse than those figures for certain, or even an all-new Anguirus' 68. Manda and Kumonga would be the bigger risks, but Kumonga is one of VERY few kaiju that are in *multiple* Godzilla movies left to be made in some form and therefore imo the most needed kaiju in the scale. I definitely think Manda is needed and if they give us '62 or '68 they should give us the other as a variant later on, imo.

It definitely looks like we're seeing movement on the Final Wars roster -- we've seen Gigan, Anguirus and Rodan rereleased, Monster X and Keizer Ghidorah teased in polls, and now the sudden announcement of Hedorah and Manda alongside a new Godzilla 2004? That still leaves nine kaiju to be made yet, a long list, but I genuinely think Zilla 2004 is the most obvious stand-out from the list, although it wouldn't be surprising to see Kumonga or Kamacuras 2004 be made before the Showa versions. I think as long as Ebirah '66 is coming that the FW version of him is probably furthest off from the bunch.

Outside the DAM and GFW rosters, which I think are good priorities, it's hard to say what is very likely. I think a re-scale of the brilliant 8" Godzilla 2001 would be a no-brainer as it is one of Bandai's finest efforts, and maybe pair it with a re-scaled Baragon or Mothra from the same film. I wouldn't mind seeing all four, honestly, since Mothra and Ghidorah are always hot sellers anyway.
Last edited by JVM on Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

What happened to the BANDAI Ultra Monster Series...? They kept churning out stuff on an (almost) weekly basis, but there's been nothing new for weeks and no new releases are known about. The last time I remember this happening was back in 2013 when BANDAI suddenly switched their Ultra figures from 6" to the 4,5"/5" scale.
Size DOES matter!