Anyone traveling to Japan for the 2023 Godzilla?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
IndestructibleIrys
Yojimbo

Anyone traveling to Japan for the 2023 Godzilla?

Post by IndestructibleIrys »

I hope this is in the right place. I'm planning to travel to Japan for the first time to watch the new movie. I'll most likely be going alone and I wanted to see if there is anyone else that plans to do the same. It would be nice to know if there will be other fellow fans, possibly who are already experienced in navigating Japan, to help myself or others who want to make the trip.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Anyone traveling to Japan for the 2023 Godzilla?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hello,

I live in Japan, but for a variety of safety and personal reasons, I'm not really interested in meeting anyone in person that I haven't had exhaustive online and in person contact. I suppose if anyone actually does make the trip, I won't mind sharing some pointers; but that's pretty much the extent of it.

While I understand your excitement, and I'm hoping you can see the 2023 film, I'd be very careful with sharing personal information and making plans with people you haven't met prior, especially in a country where you may not be able to fully explain the situation should something go wrong.

To be blunt, you just registered and made an account. If you were a long time member it would make sense, but for various reasons I'd be hesistant to make plans, or even discuss personal information, with someone who just made an account (versus someone who is very active in the community, easily identifiable, and a member of at least 4+ years). I suspect that during 2023, assuming it gets a small scale release like Shin Godzilla, you'll be able to enjoy it subbed in a theater, and it'll be easier to plan (or meet new) fellow Godzilla fans.

I hope you don't take this too personally and understand.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I might go to Japan to see a Godzilla film one day. All depends on timing and money.

IndestructibleIrys
Yojimbo

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:56 pm Hello,

I live in Japan, but for a variety of safety and personal reasons, I'm not really interested in meeting anyone in person that I haven't had exhaustive online and in person contact. I suppose if anyone actually does make the trip, I won't mind sharing some pointers; but that's pretty much the extent of it.

While I understand your excitement, and I'm hoping you can see the 2023 film, I'd be very careful with sharing personal information and making plans with people you haven't met prior, especially in a country where you may not be able to fully explain the situation should something go wrong.

To be blunt, you just registered and made an account. If you were a long time member it would make sense, but for various reasons I'd be hesistant to make plans, or even discuss personal information, with someone who just made an account (versus someone who is very active in the community, easily identifiable, and a member of at least 4+ years). I suspect that during 2023, assuming it gets a small scale release like Shin Godzilla, you'll be able to enjoy it subbed in a theater, and it'll be easier to plan (or meet new) fellow Godzilla fans.

I hope you don't take this too personally and understand.
No offense taken. I understand. I did create a new account just for this topic but only because I could not log into my old account. Regardless, I haven't been active on that old account for several years.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I feel bad about my original response, I believe I misread and understood the original post. Please understand this is coming from just a catuionary perspective that wants to make sure everyone is safe. That being said, closer to the films release, I will gladly share any tips on traveling to Japan, and what you should bring/be aware of. I think coming to Japan to see a new Godzilla film is exciting, and I hope everyone can enjoy Japan's good parts.

That being said, around late October/Early November is when Japan's leaves change color. Depending on what area you go to, you can enjoy beautiful autumn foilage. It's also a good time to visit because there aren't any "extended vacations" like Golden Week, Obon, or New Years Holiday, meaning while there will still be tourists and travelers, things won't be jam-jam packed (still packed, but not a big rush!). If you decide to just stay in Tokyo, G-Fes will be around that time, and the climate will be chilly, but decent walking and exploration weather.

In other words: Late October/Early November is a decent time to visit Japan. I hope everyone on here can enjoy visitng, especially after 2 and a 1/2 years of the borders being closed.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

IndestructibleIrys
Yojimbo

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:53 pm I feel bad about my original response, I believe I misread and understood the original post. Please understand this is coming from just a catuionary perspective that wants to make sure everyone is safe. That being said, closer to the films release, I will gladly share any tips on traveling to Japan, and what you should bring/be aware of. I think coming to Japan to see a new Godzilla film is exciting, and I hope everyone can enjoy Japan's good parts.

That being said, around late October/Early November is when Japan's leaves change color. Depending on what area you go to, you can enjoy beautiful autumn foilage. It's also a good time to visit because there aren't any "extended vacations" like Golden Week, Obon, or New Years Holiday, meaning while there will still be tourists and travelers, things won't be jam-jam packed (still packed, but not a big rush!). If you decide to just stay in Tokyo, G-Fes will be around that time, and the climate will be chilly, but decent walking and exploration weather.

In other words: Late October/Early November is a decent time to visit Japan. I hope everyone on here can enjoy visitng, especially after 2 and a 1/2 years of the borders being closed.
It leaned slightly on the negative side haha. But you're right. I didn't even think of the downsides of letting complete strangers know you're alone in a foreign country. It's just a little intimidating going alone and help would be appreciated.