IDW Godzilla Comics - Kaiju Appearance Scorecard

For the discussion of Toho comics, books, posters, trading cards and any other merchandise that doesn't fall under the other categories.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: IDW Godzilla Comics - Kaiju Appearance Scorecard

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:40 pm
mikelcho wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:31 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:21 pm

Mikelcho, what are you doing/trying to do?
Make corrections to my original post without having to rewrite it all over again. For some unknown reason, the "Edit post" buttons just don't stay around for too long. If they did, I would use them, but they don't, so I can't. That's the only reason I'm doing this, because there seems to be no other way to do this, and if there is, I don't know what it is and I haven't found out what it is.

I know I'm not supposed to do this to other members' posts, because I tried adding new entries to the "Giant Monster Movies on Home Video" original post after the "Edit post" button was long since gone and almost got into trouble for it. So, I figured that if I do this to one of my own posts, I can't get into any trouble, or at least I think so. Am I potentially getting into trouble here? Please tell me and I'll stop right away if I have to.
In that case, please just post your updated list, with it clearly being an update. Quoting it repeatedly made it confusing. That being said, if you really need me to edit something, just politely ask and I'll edit it for you.
Thank you! I'll take you up on that.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:48 am As promised, here's my list of kaiju that were used by IDW. This includes all appearances regardless of where and what they were and the kaiju are all listed according to their first film appearance (if there was more than one kaiju in any film, they're listed in the order of their appearance in that film):

*Godzilla the King of the Monsters
*Anguirus
*the Snowman (this kaiju appears very briefly in the lower right-hand corner of the bottom panel of pg. 2 of Godzilla: Rage Across Time #1)
*the Meganulons (Showa version)
*Rodan (Showa version; this is the version that appears in the mainstream storyline)
*Varan
*Orochi of Yamato (I think that's how this kaiju's Japanese name is translated into English, but I'm not sure - please tell me if I'm right or wrong)
*Mothra (Larva and Imago)
*Manda
*King Ghidorah a.k.a. Mecha-King Ghidorah (the version in the mainstream storyline is a combination of both the Showa and Heisei versions - the Showa version because he's a space monster and the Heisei version solely because of both his physical appearance as King Ghidorah and his revival as Mecha-King Ghidorah)
*Baragon
*Gaira the Green Gargantua
*Sanda the Brown Gargantua
*Ebirah
*Gorosaurus
*Kamacuras
*Minilla (first version)
*Kumonga
*Gabara
*Gezora
*Kamoebas
*Hedorah the Smog Monster
*Gigan (Showa version; in the mainstream storyline this version and the Millennium versions are one and the same, see below for further details)
*Jet Jaguar
*Megalon
*Mechagodzilla (Showa version; there are more than one in both the mainstream storyline and two are seen in Godzilla: Legends #3)
*King Caesar
*Titanosaurus
*the Shockiruses (there are more than one in the mainstream storyline)
*Biollante
*Battra the Black Mothra (Larva and Imago)
*Mechagodzilla (Heisei version)
*Rodan (Heisei version) a.k.a. Fire Rodan (this version appears in Godzilla: Legends #2-3 and Godzilla: The Half-Century War #3, all three times in his Fire Rodan form)
*SpaceGodzilla
*MOGUERA (Heisei version; the name as used in the mainstream storyline is not an acronym for Mobile Operations G-Force Universal Expert Robot - Aero-type, but it can still split into two vehicles - the Land Moguera and the Star Falcon - and then recombine into MOGUERA again)
*Destoroyah
*Zilla
*Orga
*the Meganulons (Heisei version (larvae)) and the Meganulas (imagos)
*Megaguirus
*Kiryu a.k.a. Mechagodzilla (Millennium version)
*Gigan (Millennium versions (with both hook hands and double chainsaw hands; in the mainstream storyline, the Showa version is upgraded twice into both of these versions))
*Monster X a.k.a. Keizer Ghidorah

IDW did obtain the rights to Minilla (hopefully the 2004 version) and Ganimes before the mainstream storyline ended, but so far have not placed them in it (and have not published any new stories in said storyline to this day). UPDATE: Minilla (the first version) has finally appeared in the 5-issue miniseries Godzilla: War for Humanity and surprise, surprise, Gabara has appeared in the 5-issue miniseries Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors - All Hail the King!. Still no word on Ganimes, however.

Hey, if you want, I can even give you a complete list of the Bandai America Godzilla vinyl toy figures according to box color. Whaddya say? Any takers?
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

They just added another one in Godzilla: Here There Be Dragons...the Giant Octopus under the name Oodako (which is now official, I...think?).
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

And I just remembered that they added BabyGodzilla in Godzilla Rivals: Rodan vs. Ebirah.

Now if only IDW could just do both LittleGodzilla and Godzilla Junior somewhere along the line...
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I just remembered two more that they added: Gabara in Godzilla: Monsters & Protectors - All Hail the King! and Mechani-Kong in Godzilla Rivals: Vs. King Ghidorah.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Wait, Mechani-Kong?
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:45 am Wait, Mechani-Kong?
Yes, briefly in one panel with Mechagodzilla. It's a don't-blink-or-you'll-miss-it moment.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Obviously not an official appearance...
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm Obviously not an official appearance...
Hmm didnt the author state the Kong license as one of the reasons why he toned down the Kong features of the robot?

Not 100% sure about it though.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kaijukurt wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:12 pm
Mr. Yellow wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm Obviously not an official appearance...
Hmm didnt the author state the Kong license as one of the reasons why he toned down the Kong features of the robot?

Yes. I believe Jet Jaguar was originally intended to be Mechani-Kong, but after some legal issues they changed it. That entire issue had explicit references to KKE that needed to be altered. That's why Godzilla Rivals vs. Ghidorah was delayed.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:16 pm
kaijukurt wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:12 pm

Yes. I believe Jet Jaguar was originally intended to be Mechani-Kong, but after some legal issues they changed it. That entire issue had explicit references to KKE that needed to be altered. That's why Godzilla Rivals vs. Ghidorah was delayed.
I talked to him at G-Fest and he said that he was asked to change the Mechanikong in the background, but actually Jet apparently was planned in the art. Toho had an objection to MK at the scripting stage, so he was never drawn. Toho just said “No” to any direct KKE references really early on.
What he said was cause for delays was the Xillien crowd shots. Toho didn’t like them adapting Earth garb and being emotional, so he communicated the importance of it back to them, but he had deadlines for a series he was doing (that was planned and scheduled already to NOT cause conflict.) Toho took forever to get back to him, so he couldn’t immediately change anything. Eventually changes were made, but they had to be approved. Toho again, took a long time to respond (specifically Toho Japan, International had to run everything by them.) So it ended up delayed because of communication more than anything else. At least that’s my recollection of the conversation.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

KingCornetto wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 am I talked to him at G-Fest and he said that he was asked to change the Mechanikong in the background, but actually Jet apparently was planned in the art. Toho had an objection to MK at the scripting stage, so he was never drawn. Toho just said “No” to any direct KKE references really early on.
What he said was cause for delays was the Xillien crowd shots. Toho didn’t like them adapting Earth garb and being emotional, so he communicated the importance of it back to them, but he had deadlines for a series he was doing (that was planned and scheduled already to NOT cause conflict.) Toho took forever to get back to him, so he couldn’t immediately change anything. Eventually changes were made, but they had to be approved. Toho again, took a long time to respond (specifically Toho Japan, International had to run everything by them.) So it ended up delayed because of communication more than anything else. At least that’s my recollection of the conversation.
Thanks for the insight!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

KingCornetto wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:52 am I talked to him at G-Fest and he said that he was asked to change the Mechanikong in the background, but actually Jet apparently was planned in the art. Toho had an objection to MK at the scripting stage, so he was never drawn. Toho just said “No” to any direct KKE references really early on.
Thank you very, very much, for the clarification. It's interesting though: the Xilliens in M&P are pretty whacky and emotional. Maybe just because it's aimed at a different audience?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Obviously so, but it is there. If anyone would like to see it, it's on Wikizilla's Mechani-Kong page in the Comics section.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Question: is Kamakuras in the IDW mainstream storyline (or anything else that they've done, for that matter) considered to be the Showa version or the Millennium version? I can't remember which one it was, but I'm leaning toward the Showa one, since he doesn't seem to have the natural camouflage ability that the Millennium one does.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:38 pm Question: is Kamakuras in the IDW mainstream storyline (or anything else that they've done, for that matter) considered to be the Showa version or the Millennium version? I can't remember which one it was, but I'm leaning toward the Showa one, since he doesn't seem to have the natural camouflage ability that the Millennium one does.
If you're talking about this:
It's definitely the Showa. The millennium incarnation has symmetrical claws, a different more insectoid mouth, and back facing antenna. It's posture is also much more upright.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:38 pm Question: is Kamakuras in the IDW mainstream storyline (or anything else that they've done, for that matter) considered to be the Showa version or the Millennium version? I can't remember which one it was, but I'm leaning toward the Showa one, since he doesn't seem to have the natural camouflage ability that the Millennium one does.
I consider the IDW Kamacuras to be a green-colored Showa version, since it has the Showa "teeth".

^LSDJellyfish beat me to it. :lol:
Last edited by kaijukurt on Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Thanks, pals. My list is, therefore, correct. Now all that IDW needs to do is to put Ganimes in something and we're all set!

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:44 pm Thanks, pals. My list is, therefore, correct. Now all that IDW needs to do is to put Ganimes in something and we're all set!
More than Ganimes, we need Dogora and Griffon, etc.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:12 pm
More than Ganimes, we need Dogora and Griffon, etc.
Seeing Dogora, Magma, Showa Moguera, the Human Vapor, Matango, the Giant Sea Snake from KKE, TOHO Frankenstein, etc. would be fantastic. Regarding Ganime, hopefully IDW has squared away the licensing SNAFU from a few years ago (during ROE, IDW simply forgot to include his name when acquiring the rights to use most of TOHO's kaiju roster, hence his absence besides appearing on a Cave painting in ROE #9 )

Also, where the hell has Baragon been? :?: :?: :?: :?: :Baragon: Outside of a few appearances in ROE and RAT #5, he's mostly been MIA...
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)