Toho Godzilla Panel at SDCC 2022

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Toho Godzilla Panel at SDCC 2022

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

From Kaiju News Outlet
Toho will have an official Godzilla panel at SDCC on July 21st at 2:30PM. The panel will feature "A glimpse into new products and what's in store for Godzilla's upcoming 70th anniversary." https://t.co/vQQ07xwBfi
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Re: Toho Godzilla Panel at SDCC 2022

Post by Gotschiller »

I think it's important to emphasize that this panel is about collectibles.

So don't expect a new movie to be announced there.
Hi!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Adorable. Typical Toho. A panel at SDCC and it's about merchandise.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

While I doubt anything will be shown directly, it seems like the merchandise and 70th Anniversary thing are two separate but big parts about it. It says, "merchandise and upcoming 70th film", so there's both.

We could get an announcement on Godzilla SP Season 2, or confirmation about the Kaiju movie. Btw, that as far as I can tell, finished it's extra shooting, so now would be an appropriate time to announce it as a Godzilla film if it is.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:05 pm While I doubt anything will be shown directly, it seems like the merchandise and 70th Anniversary thing are two separate but big parts about it. It says, "merchandise and upcoming 70th film", so there's both.

We could get an announcement on Godzilla SP Season 2, or confirmation about the Kaiju movie. Btw, that as far as I can tell, finished it's extra shooting, so now would be an appropriate time to announce it as a Godzilla film if it is.
I don't see anything other than merchandise, where did you see "upcoming 70th film"?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:27 pm I don't see anything other than merchandise, where did you see "upcoming 70th film"?
“Get a glimpse into new products AND what’s in store for Godzilla’s upcoming 70th Anniversary”

The “AND” part makes me believe that it’ll be more. Reading it over a few times, yeah it could be just collectibles, but that would seem like a big missed opportunity to announce or at least hint at something. It doesn’t have to be a film, but it could at the very least be “Godzilla Singular point season 2 is a thing” or something film related.

There could also conceivably be info about the Godzilla Apple+ series as Toho is confirmed to have a more direct hand/involvement in that.

Toho has been for years trying to expand Godzilla, as in the Japanese productions, into the western market, so announcing something there may be a bold move.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Could be nothing but just the fact there's a panel at all is pretty big.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Worth noting that Chris Mowry used to have a big role in the IDW comics, and this is the “comic con”. We may get some info on the current IDW run.

Even if at the best minimum it’s just toys, I think it’ll at the very least be exciting.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

The only thing Singular Point related will be the new and exciting Yun Arikawa x Mei Kamino with a hint of Red Dust flavour hot sauce. Limited to 100 bottles!
Hi!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Gotschiller wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:28 am The only thing Singular Point related will be the new and exciting Yun Arikawa x Mei Kamino with a hint of Red Dust flavour hot sauce. Limited to 100 bottles!
Damn I was gonna make this joke but it wasn't gonna be this good. Cool if I add it to my sig?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:02 amDamn I was gonna make this joke but it wasn't gonna be this good. Cool if I add it to my sig?
Sure!
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:45 am Even if at the best minimum it’s just toys, I think it’ll at the very least be exciting.
Yeah I don't want to come of as to cynical about this. It's cool that it's happening. It's just that the tweet from Kaiju News Outlet and the surrounding discussion makes it seem more intriguing than it's probably gonna be.
Hi!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

It's gonna be Toho going on about all these overpriced toys that are coming out from various American companies that they're so proud of.

Money money money.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Singular Point season 2 announcement would be cool. A Japanese movie coming out would be even better. Could be just toys though we’ll see lol
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Just found out that there are going to be two more Godzilla-related panels at SDCC. It seems that a new IDW project will be revealed.

Hi!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gotschiller wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:04 pm Just found out that there are going to be two more Godzilla-related panels at SDCC. It seems that a new IDW project will be revealed.

And, the second panel is about Godzilla SP! They better announce season 2 now! But yeah, after this we'll definitely get something.

Best case scenario: blow out with information on a new film, tv and anime series, and comics.

Worst case scenario: some toys, and a new comic announced.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Toho "Official Godzilla Panel" at SDCC July 21st - Discussion Thread

Post by Chrispy_G »

https://i.redd.it/bat791ueila91.jpg
Toho will have an official Godzilla panel at SDCC July 21st at 2:30PM. The panel will feature "A glimpse into new products and what's in store for Godzilla's upcoming 70th anniversary."
EXCITING

If they are doing a panel 1.5 years before the 70th anniversary even gets here(as opposed to 4-5 months) then it must be something with a lot of lead time. This could end up being INSANELY under-whelming, but this far out...maybe it means what they have planned is more significant.

-Confirmation/re-confirmation that Godzilla is indeed a part of the next MV film
-Announcement of an official Toho Godzilla film for 2024(I mean, how could they resist?)
-Intentions of various merchandise/branding/promotional events geared towards the 70th anniversary celebration

Those seem like fairly likely potential candidates.

Plus we all just KNOW what they are dying to announce 8-)
-Criterion and Crunchyroll as the official "North American Distribution Partners" for all Toho Godzilla
-Toho will restore all of the Godzilla films in 4K, Crunchyroll will Dub them all, and Criterion will release them all across multiple Box Sets in 2024. All with full cooperation from Toho.
Search your feelings, you know it to be true :mrgreen:
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Toho "Official Godzilla Panel" at SDCC July 21st - Discussion Thread

Post by Legion1979 »

Again, I have no doubt that this is going to be all about merchandise, marketing, collaborations and various other things that involve American licensees paying them to use Godzilla. Because that's really all Toho cares about.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Shin was announced two years prior to release, and we're about two years out from this mystery film's release, so... y'know... an announcement isn't unlikely...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

An American convention would be a weird place to announce a Japanese film, but that's just me.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Fair.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio