Official Box Office Discussion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Post by Chrispy_G »

I couldn't find a pre-existing thread.

Figured it would be logical to have one place to discuss all things related to Box Office performance of any film. That way individual threads about films and franchises aren't derailed with posts purely analyzing their financial performance. I'm a manager at a theater so I do have a natural inclination towards this topic, it has fascinated me since I was about 14 years old.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Voyager
Keizer

Re: Official Box Office Discussion Thread

Post by Voyager »

DOTM making 1 billion dollars is the worst thing that could have happened to it. It retroactively made the series worse by giving us two more films.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Yo Top Gun: Maverick just banked a billion even beating Doctor Strange 2 to the race.

Definitely more then earns it.

Also expect Jurassic World: Dominion to make a billion. Kids love their dinosaurs given the movie already made nearly $750 million.

Surprised to find Lightyear bombed, I would have expected that being a hit given you know...It's Pixar and based on Toy Story.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
Jurassic World: Dominion
Minions: The Rise of Gru
The Batman
Thor: Love and Thunder
Top Gun: Maverick

Movies I expect to be in the top ten by the end of this year. The rest could be any.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:15 am DOTM making 1 billion dollars is the worst thing that could have happened to it. It retroactively made the series worse by giving us two more films.
Dark of the Moon? Yeah. I've grown nostalgic for the first 3 Bay Transformers films and Bay in general because "tough guys, hot chicks, and explosions" seems like a forbidden style these days....so I miss pure and simple films like that.

But most franchises should stop, hit the reset button or at least take a long hiatus after 3 entries. Storytelling is about a beginning, middle and end, just telling more and more leads to creative bankruptcy.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Yeah, Top Gun: Maverick making one billion dollars in the box office is very impressive.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:48 am Surprised to find Lightyear bombed, I would have expected that being a hit given you know...It's Pixar and based on Toy Story.
The third film was such a great cap to the series that it's impossible to think of any subsequent entry, spin-off, etc. as being anything but a cynical cash-grab.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

H-Man wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:57 pmThe third film was such a great cap to the series that it's impossible to think of any subsequent entry, spin-off, etc. as being anything but a cynical cash-grab.
And what of the fourth movie?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:35 pm
H-Man wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:57 pmThe third film was such a great cap to the series that it's impossible to think of any subsequent entry, spin-off, etc. as being anything but a cynical cash-grab.
And what of the fourth movie?
Cash grab. I don’t get how it could be a better ending than 3.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:39 pmCash grab. I don’t get how it could be a better ending than 3.
Always felt that movie was an "apology" to WoodyxBo Peep shippers for her absence in 3. Lol.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I actually haven't seen Toy Story 4 yet. 3 was a phenomenal sendoff, and I just... don't have any use for more Toy Story. Three of my siblings saw it and confirmed that it wasn't really necessary viewing, so I'm not in any hurry to get to it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I've seen mixed reviews on it, I'll probably catch it when its on DVD or streaming services. But yeah, I didn't feel compelled to watch it.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:42 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:39 pmCash grab. I don’t get how it could be a better ending than 3.
Always felt that movie was an "apology" to WoodyxBo Peep shippers for her absence in 3. Lol.
I graduated high school just before Toy Story 3 came out, and I was heading off to college after the summer. I watched that film with younger girl cousins on mine. So Andy's entire plot-line and resolution in that film cut me as deep as it possibly could. It was a perfect farewell.

I understand there may have been a need to give Bo some kind of presence or ending of her own, but nothing about Toy Story 4 felt like anything I would have been interested in.

Interesting news for the Box Office:
Spider-Man: No Way Home is being re-issued in early September
Avatar is being re-issued in late September
Titanic is being re-issued in February

It will be interesting to see how many millions more each of those films will be able to add to their North American and Global Box Office totals.

I know NWH and Avatar are confirmed for Domestic and International Re-releases. Globally Avatar is looking to simply hold the record by an even wider margin than it already has, in North America...DEPENDING on how hard they push it, maybe it is looking to jump up from the spot it currently occupies.

NWH might be looking to try and pass Infinity War globally.

I suppose depending on how it shakes out, the placements of these films on the North American chart is more likely to potentially shift and change.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

You guys think DC League of Super-Pets is gonna bank a lot of money?

I'm honestly considering it a possibility. Then again I thought Lightyear would had been in the top ten by the end of this year but that ironically bombed.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:11 pm You guys think DC League of Super-Pets is gonna bank a lot of money?
I don't see it. But then again, nobody expected a movie with a talking racoon and a sentient tree to make a lot of bank, either. Nonetheless, I personally see it as being one of the true victims of "Superhero Fatigue."

In other news, Jurassic World: Dominion has become the second pandemic/post-pandemic movie from Hollywood to break 100 million USD in China. The first was Godzilla vs. Kong.

Jurassic World: Dominion
Domestic: $306,487,740
Worldwide: $445,757,000 ($114,294,000 of which is from China)
Total: $752,244,740

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

H-Man wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:16 pmNonetheless, I personally see it as being one of the true victims of "Superhero Fatigue."
And yet...The MCU continues to go on strong. Wait until Thor: Love and Thunder making a billion.

The Batman made over $750 million (Which BTW is a good movie, better then the last ten MCU films combined). Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness making nearly a billion. Spider-Man: No Way Home nearly $2 billion.

"Superhero Fatigue" my poop.

You're also forgetting the fact DC League of Super-Pets is aimed for young audiences. Kids are the easiest to please so don't underestimate especially given Secret Life of Pets was a hit.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I keep forgetting Super Pets exists, for whatever that's worth. I dunno, I feel like any DC film these days has an uphill battle to fight.

Thor: Love and Thunder looks bland. Nothing about the trailers has grabbed my attention yet.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Lightyear truly is a bomb.

Sing 2 in December topped $400 Million
Sonic 2 in April topped $400 Million
The Bad Guys was even the "B choice" family movie in April, beneath Sonic...and even it made $250M

Lightyear will be lucky to hit $300M worldwide. Heck for all we know $250M might be tough to reach. That is dreadful considering the $200M production budget and lord knows how much on marketing. The budget of Lightyear is basically twice as much(or more) than the 3 films mentioned above.

It is looking at two weekends in a row of 65% drops, that's TERRIBLE after an opening that was already way under the optimistic $70-$100M Domestic articles and predictions were calling. Heck, even if you want to defend the $50M opening as solid...these drops indicate abysmal word of mouth and audiences actively choosing other movies.

Meanwhile, Minions is absolutely decimating it. Basically, any of the 'Pandemic/family market' excuses they tried using for Lightyear's underperformance can be thrown out the window. $129M 4-day weekend projected. $200+M worldwide opening. Just like when Eternals and West Side Story had the "But the pandemic!" excuse built in only for Spider-Man: No Way Home to come out 10 seconds later and make nearly $2 Billion.

Those are the kind of numbers Lightyear was expected to be able to pull. It was meant to be an A-list performer. Minions is crushing it in places where Lightyear isn't even playing.

Lightyear is a $200M 105 minute production that took itself too seriously. Minions is an 88 minute, $85M production prioritizing nothing but audience entertainment. Both trailers played before my showing of Jurassic World...the Lightyear trailer got crickets while the Minions trailer had some people in stitches.

Lightyear had no lack of brand awareness, no lack of marketing muscle, of built in audience and intrigue, no lack of headlines and discussion leading up to its release...and it had no direct family competition out for weeks before it came out. This is Disney-Pixar-Toy Story brand synergy. An "Easy" home run.

The Good Dinosaur was Pixar's first bomb with a $332M worldwide gross vs a $175-$200M budget. Lightyear is pegged at $200M budget and is almost promised to come in much lower at the worldwide Box Office than $332M. This is insane. It was also the biggest 2nd weekend drop in Pixar history when any "normal" circumstances are considered. Onward had the sad fate of basically the whole industry imploded as the Pandemic exploded in its 2nd week.

It is the kind of movie that should have been a lock for one of the biggest hits of ANY year. Minions is taking its lunch money. Families actively rejected Lightyear on a large scale and waited for Minions, which they have embraced. Minions is making as much in North America in 3 days as Lightyear has made in 3 weekends.

Whatever Lightyear was selling, audiences clearly didn't want it.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It was sandwiched between two other huge-name, kid-friendly franchises, Jurassic World and Minions, and had two MCU movies in close proximity. Someone had to lose, and even Pixar can't win every fight.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:33 am It was sandwiched between two other huge-name, kid-friendly franchises, Jurassic World and Minions, and had two MCU movies in close proximity. Someone had to lose, and even Pixar can't win every fight.
Still, 99/100 times that is a fight that a Disney-Pixar-Toy Story animated film would never lose. That is the kind of combination that used to drive other blockbusters away while they dominated. Now the roles are reversed. EVERY other major film in this mixup did well. Top Gun still managed to have brilliant legs despite heavy competition. Jurassic World has generally not been received super well by critics or die hard fans and it might still be well on its way to $1 Billion or very close to it. Black Phone has done well as counter-programming. Minions ruling as the family choice.

Disney-Pixar coming out as a huge loser in this equation is not something anyone should write off.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

No, it definitely shouldn't be written off. Honestly, I suspect Disney+ is a factor here, too. There's less incentive to go to the theater when you can just wait an extra month and stream the movie for 'free'. The MCU still has strong theater draw both because of its big screen-friendly nature and the ongoing story encouraging people to see each movie quickly and dodge spoilers. Nobody cares about spoilers in a random Buzz Lightyear origin movie, though. It's the kind of movie I see a lot of people being content to stream.