Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:58 pm
John Pannozzi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:21 pmI'm not even talking about her MonsterVerse work. Go watch Stranger Things, she is amazing in that.
I have up until the beginning of season 3 due to Hopper becoming an unlikable smug jerkass of an overprotective father responsible for Eleven breaking up with Mike, even after Joyce gave him the best advice to approach it but then discarded it.

"Oh boo, hoo, hoo! My biological daughter is dead! I don't care if it's mean! Everybody's got dead people! It's no excuse to be overprotective and a dancing smug jerkass!"

In the words of my boi Rocket Raccoon.
I don't know about that my dude, my Grandpa didn't want want my Dad sleeping in the room with my mom and they were married and I was born.(This is a joke).
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

cheshire22
Ronin

Post by cheshire22 »

I first watched this movie a few months ago. God, it's the first time the Legendary Monsterverse got it spot on. Def made for hardcore Kaiju fans, casual viewers, and anyone new to the genre.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Glad you enjoyed it, definite crowd pleaser :)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone find the idea of Kong wielding primitive handheld weapons an innately bad idea? Or is it worthy of being carried over to future incarnations of the character?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:52 am Does anyone find the idea of Kong wielding primitive handheld weapons an innately bad idea? Or is it worthy of being carried over to future incarnations of the character?
I think it demonstrates Kong as an intelligent being and species.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:52 am Does anyone find the idea of Kong wielding primitive handheld weapons an innately bad idea? Or is it worthy of being carried over to future incarnations of the character?
Why would it be a bad idea? Kong’s been intelligent to understand things since 1933.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

So long as it fits the specific incarnation, then sure. GVK Kong using an axe is very different from 2005 Kong using an axe, for instance.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I didn't mind the axe. You had to have some sort of realistic way Kong could counter Godzilla who is walking, armored flamethrower.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

My issue with the axe isn't that it was a weapon. My issue is that it's a fucking AXE. A tree trunk? A large club-shaped rock? Fine. But an axe?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I thought the axe was neat, and was used a lot less than I thought it would be.

On another unrelated note, I was watching the scene of MechaG booting up for the first time since it popped up in my recommended and it got me thinking:
In the film's universe, would Apex have programmed roar audio files into MechaG? I know I'm overthinking things, but why would MG roar like a living beast before Ghidorah took it over? I like to think the people responsible for writing MG's code have audio files embedded in it that are something like "roar1.mp3"

I mean if I was Simmons I would've done the same. It's cool as hell.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

If you're going to the trouble of making your trillion-dollar giant robot look like a dinosaur, of course you're going to go that extra little step and put an LRAD in the damn thing's mouth so it can roar. Why on Earth wouldn't you? :lol:

And if you want to, you can bullshit some practical reasons for it. It's good for intimidation, for example, or good for getting a monster's attention if need be. Blasting dumb propaganda over loudspeakers is a real military tactic governments spend money on; South Korea likes to blare K-pop across the DMZ, for example. A roaring robot isn't too different from that. Rule of Cool is the real reason, though, and that's enough. Fighter pilots waste money and effort painting shark faces on their planes, you know?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

^ same with pinups and messages on bombs and missiles!

Anyway, I’m starting to hate the MG design less. I thought it was just a ugly blocky lego thing but now I feel a little warmer towards it.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:10 pm My issue with the axe isn't that it was a weapon. My issue is that it's a fucking AXE. A tree trunk? A large club-shaped rock? Fine. But an axe?
Let's be honest, that's hardly the craziest thing in this movie. :lol:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I love the axe. I like this Kong using weapons like the propeller, rocks and trees from Skull Island.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

This movie really has a “wears it heart on its sleeve and embraces buffoonery” vibe that makes me think of the Showa Gamera films in a way. Which is fitting as this is the only one of the MV films made explicitly with children in mind as Wingard has stated several times.

G 2014 was made for the GA

GKOTM was made for Godzilla fans

And GvK was made for children

I feel like people’s inability to appreciate these three films stems from not understanding who these films were made for.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:24 am This movie really has a “wears it heart on its sleeve and embraces buffoonery” vibe that makes me think of the Showa Gamera films in a way. Which is fitting as this is the only one of the MV films made explicitly with children in mind as Wingard has stated several times.

G 2014 was made for the GA

GKOTM was made for Godzilla fans

And GvK was made for children

I feel like people’s inability to appreciate these three films stems from not understanding who these films were made for.
Godzilla vs Kong is a family movie more than just a children's movie even if it was made for children to like. It's clearly trying to be a summer blockbuster type film.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Sure but it’s the first film made with children very much in mind. Family film is probably a better term, fair enough. I think it succeeds on that level.

I think each of these three films succeeds in what they aimed to do

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Comparing this movie to Showa Gamera isn’t very accurate. Those films were pandering to kids above all else, even to the point where logic would bend solely for the child audience’s entertainment.

GvK ain’t that.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

What part of Godzilla vs. Kong appeals exclusively to little kids? It's the most general audience type movie ever and isn't particularly for anyone. It's easy to forget, but GvK does have a lot of monster gore and people getting killed here and there. Those qualities don't make GvK an "adult film", but the film does have a decently solid emotional core with Jia, and I just don't see it.

The only thing I can see how it relates to Gamera, is younger characters find a secret base and find out the main villains plan, but the Godzilla franchise was always doing that. Countless Kaiju films do that, and again, it doesn't make it just a children's film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Watch the commentary, interviews etc. Wingard is the only one of these directors to specifically make this film with children in mind.

Regarding Showa Gamera…yes the bat shit crazy stuff like an axe for Kong and Godzilla shooting a hole to the middle of the earth makes me think of sillier entries like Guiron.

And I think some people got defensive over my comment and that’s a shame. I meant my comparison as a positive. I like most of the Showa Gamera films…