Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Winner: Godzilla 1954]

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
goji89
Sazer

Re: Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Final Four][1954 vs. 2019-2020]

Post by goji89 »

Alexa...... play BIOWARS.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

goji89 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:14 am Alexa...... play BIOWARS.
LMAO YES. Also Scramble March.

Added in 17 minutes 31 seconds:
After this match, does everyone want to do a third place match or just leave the losers tied for third? Additionally, 3rd place match or the finals first?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Alright, alright

I’ve accepted defeat and have made the switch

NOW WE JUST NEED TO KICK DESU’S AND SHODAI’S ASSES AND WE WIIIIIN
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:34 am
goji89 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:14 am Alexa...... play BIOWARS.
LMAO YES. Also Scramble March.

Added in 17 minutes 31 seconds:
After this match, does everyone want to do a third place match or just leave the losers tied for third? Additionally, 3rd place match or the finals first?
I'm down for third place match or an entire losers bracket. The results on the board today are the first I've actually disagreed with, so we gotta give those suits a shot!
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Does this mean Mosu and Kiryu get a second chance? YES, PLEASE!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Wait, is the poll done? It’s 9:40 where i’m at and the ending time is 9:20

unless TK has some weird time zone shit or something

Also, yes to losers bracket. I’d love to do all this stuff again
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri May 07, 2021 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

'54 WON

Perfectly balanced

I'm game with a looser bracket
Last edited by goji89 on Fri May 07, 2021 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Yeah I'mma be fully honest, this round kinda sealed the idea to me that some people are voting off the grandfather clause. Objectively, for me, I don't see the appeal on a design basis for the 1954 look. It was very wrinkly, the spines look very basic, the odd teeth jutting out combined with the big white eyes clash with the intended grimness, and it was the very first Godzilla suit ever made and it was made on a deadline, meaning a lot of the polish the SFX crews got later had to be invented on the fly. A big reason it doesn't look as odd as it might have is due to the black and white lighting obscuring it, which kinda makes those bashing on the 2019 look a bit hypocritical when complaints get launched on how you can't see the details.

I wouldn't really care if 1954 was up against either of the Legendary Pictures designs or one of the other highly regarded Toho designs, point has been made to me. The first film is held up as such a sacred icon by chunks of the fandom that there is the worry of feeling like blasphemy to not auto-win it. But, in the design front, I'm pretty adamantly in the camp of first installment doesn't automatically equal a win. 33 Kong is blown out of the water by later versions, the first Batsuits are outclassed by later varients, and I much prefer the revised and better polish on some of the newer looks to the Big G.

I ain't salty and rather happy this has been so much fun for so many in fact :lol:
I'm just taking a shrug that I doubt voting has been as objective based on design alone as might have been intended.

I grew up a late Heisei-Early Millennium generation G-Fan, so this isn't me having nostalgia goggles on for the MV designs either. Had 2019-2021 Godzilla lost to, say, 1999 or 1962 Godzilla I'd have considered it pretty fair. I would appreciate however, as I'm just one viewpoint, any who voted for 1954 to tell me what about the design appeals to you :)
Last edited by Desghidorah on Fri May 07, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Desghidorah wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:01 am Yeah I'mma be fully honest, this round kinda sealed the idea to me that some people are voting off the grandfather clause.

I'm just taking a shrug that I doubt voting has been as objective based on design alone as might have been intended.

I would appreciate however, as I'm just one viewpoint, any who voted for 1954 to tell me what about the design appeals to you :)
Oh my fucking god, here we go again... :roll:

One more time, for the people in the back.
KK42 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:34 pm For fun and profit, let's revisit my original post on this particular subject.
KK42 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:45 pm Speak for yourself, man. The 1954 suit is my favorite, but not because it's the first. For lack of a better term, it just screams "Godzilla" to me, more than anything else that's come since.

It's the little things that add up, for me. It's the pronounced fangs, the visible ears, the pointed tail tip, the small and vagually iguanodon-like arms, the four dinosaur-like toes, and the shape and size of the rows of spines (the center row being the largest as opposed to the Heisei design, with the side rows being larger and more jagged than the later Showa designs).

And oh, that roar. That glorious, beautiful, terrifying roar. There isn't a single Godzilla roar I like better than the 1954 original.
Why is it that people who like this design are always forced to justify it again, and again, and again? I could just as easily claim here that people are only voting for the Monsterverse designs because they're addicted to big budget special effects and CGI, rather than appreciating the design itself.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Desghidorah wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:01 am Yeah I'mma be fully honest, this round kinda sealed the idea to me that some people are voting off the grandfather clause. Objectively, for me, I don't see the appeal on a design basis for the 1954 look. It was very wrinkly, the spines look very basic, the odd teeth jutting out combined with the big white eyes clash with the intended grimness, and it was the very first Godzilla suit ever made and it was made on a deadline, meaning a lot of the polish the SFX crews got later had to be invented on the fly. A big reason it doesn't look as odd as it might have is due to the black and white lighting obscuring it, which kinda makes those bashing on the 2019 look a bit hypocritical when complaints get launched on how you can't see the details.

I wouldn't really care if 1954 was up against either of the Legendary Pictures designs or one of the other highly regarded Toho designs, point has been made to me. The first film is held up as such a sacred icon by chunks of the fandom that there is the worry of feeling like blasphemy to not auto-win it. But, in the design front, I'm pretty adamantly in the camp of first installment doesn't automatically equal a win. 33 Kong is blown out of the water by later versions, the first Batsuits are outclassed by later varients, and I much prefer the revised and better polish on some of the newer looks to the Big G.

I ain't salty and rather happy this has been so much fun for so many in fact :lol:

I grew up a late Heisei-Early Millennium generation G-Fan, so this isn't me having nostalgia goggles on for the MV designs either. Had 2019-2021 Godzilla lost to, say, 1999 or 1962 Godzilla I'd have considered it pretty fair. I would appreciate however, as I'm just one viewpoint, any who voted for 1954 to tell me what about the design appeals to you :)
You can go back a few pages as many have already said why. The suit has more weight to it literally it weighed alot. I loved the ears the fangs the wrinkly texture the eyes that seem so off putting actually enhance that appeal that it's otherwordly. The scutes bar none are some of his best design for me. It's not about loyalty but what I see is a monstrous force and it's design does convey that, you may not see it the way I do but we don't have the same opinions obviously. The suit conveys a mood the design conveys emotion much more so than MVGoji.
MV goji is a very great design but I don't look at it and feel anything other than "It's cool".
There's my opinion, this suit design just encompasses so much.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

KK42 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:15 am
Oh my skreeonking god, here we go again... :roll:

One more time, for the people in the back.
I saw yours and thought it was quite good. I was more asking for others who hadn't weighed in as only a few people out of the over two dozen who voted for 1954 actually clarified the reasoning. Most of the times I saw someone weigh in, on either side to be fully fair, it was more in vague statements that seemingly could apply to a bunch of different designs. I was only requesting some clarity. ;)
KK42 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:15 am Why is it that people who like this design are always forced to justify it again, and again, and again? I could just as easily claim here that people are only voting for the Monsterverse designs because they're addicted to big budget special effects and CGI, rather than appreciating the design itself.
You could, and you'd be just as valid. Point was grandfather clause is a thing, as much as appealing to big budget extravaganzas are. So if someone is going to uphold either the 2010s (Shin included) designs or 1954 design, a bit of context goes a long way to separating thought-out stances vs. knee-jerking.

goji89 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:19 am You can go back a few pages as many have already said why. The suit has more weight to it literally it weighed alot. I loved the ears the fangs the wrinkly texture the eyes that seem so off putting actually enhance that appeal that it's otherwordly. The scutes bar none are some of his best design for me. It's not about loyalty but what I see is a monstrous force and it's design does convey that, you may not see it the way I do but we don't have the same opinions obviously. The suit conveys a mood the design conveys emotion much more so than MVGoji.
MV goji is a very great design but I don't look at it and feel anything other than "It's cool".
There's my opinion, this suit design just encompasses so much.

Was more asking for clarity on those who didn't really clarify much as to why their votes fell where they did. Statements like 'the spines are cool' or 'it looks scarier' don't really tell me much so I was asking for some context to separate the more thought out views vs appeals to grandfather clause. I'd have asked the same to weed out views vs. appeals to extravagance if 2019 won. This is more up the alley of what I was asking for so I thank you :)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Goji89 sums it up nicely, but Godzilla 1954 has a lot in the design that provides a powerful mixture of emotions. It’s small little devil like ears and blank demented eyes give it a demented demonic, and vaguely humanoid look providing for a bizarro sensation of fear as it stares down at you. It’s got all the weight, and it’s fantastic all around.

It’s not that it’s the grandfather clause, but for the most part, you can see when/where every subsequent design jumps off and reinvents itself,

I think MV Godzilla, even more so the 2019 one, is a fantastic reinterpretation of the monster, but it’s just being compared against the OG. Honestly a lot of people should just be happy that MV Godzilla after 7 years is being remotely compared fairly to the OG.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I feel just giving points for being "the OG" is kinda a problematic attitude when it comes to objective design personality. 54 is a legend with an iconic look that clearly stuck, but I feel that people are being incredibly forgiving of a suit that doesn't look as flattering out of the exact right shot and let flaws that would've doomed other suits on this poll slide by.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

godjacob wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:03 am I feel just giving points for being "the OG" is kinda a problematic attitude when it comes to objective design personality. 54 is a legend with an iconic look that clearly stuck, but I feel that people are being incredibly forgiving of a suit that doesn't look as flattering out of the exact right shot and let flaws that would've doomed other suits on this poll slide by.
There is no objective design personality.

Personally, I don't like how MV Godzilla looks from the front. He has no defined head from that angle, and his face sort of melds into his neck. I don't like how his arms flail about in certain shots, like when he's swatting down the jet fighters in the opening of GvK. I don't like how short his tail is. I don't like that his spines are the same color as the rest of his body, giving him the illusion of being fat.

But I'm not going to label my complaints as "objective" design flaws, because there is no such thing. You like what you like. I like how G54 looks from all angles and all sides. I'm not forgiving of it, I just have no problems with it.

Added in 1 minute 33 seconds:
Desghidorah wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:47 am I saw yours and thought it was quite good. I was more asking for others who hadn't weighed in as only a few people out of the over two dozen who voted for 1954 actually clarified the reasoning. Most of the times I saw someone weigh in, on either side to be fully fair, it was more in vague statements that seemingly could apply to a bunch of different designs. I was only requesting some clarity. ;)
Yeah... sorry for lashing out. I was just getting annoyed at what I perceive as having to justify my vote repeatedly. I never see it happen with any other design.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

KK42 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:14 am
godjacob wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:03 am I feel just giving points for being "the OG" is kinda a problematic attitude when it comes to objective design personality. 54 is a legend with an iconic look that clearly stuck, but I feel that people are being incredibly forgiving of a suit that doesn't look as flattering out of the exact right shot and let flaws that would've doomed other suits on this poll slide by.
There is no objective design personality.

Personally, I don't like how MV Godzilla looks from the front. He has no defined head from that angle, and his face sort of melds into his neck. I don't like how his arms flail about in certain shots, like when he's swatting down the jet fighters in the opening of GvK. I don't like how short his tail is. I don't like that his spines are the same color as the rest of his body, giving him the illusion of being fat.

But I'm not going to label my complaints as "objective" design flaws, because there is no such thing. You like what you like. I like how G54 looks from all angles and all sides. I'm not forgiving of it, I just have no problems with it.

Added in 1 minute 33 seconds:
Desghidorah wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:47 am I saw yours and thought it was quite good. I was more asking for others who hadn't weighed in as only a few people out of the over two dozen who voted for 1954 actually clarified the reasoning. Most of the times I saw someone weigh in, on either side to be fully fair, it was more in vague statements that seemingly could apply to a bunch of different designs. I was only requesting some clarity. ;)
Yeah... sorry for lashing out. I was just getting annoyed at what I perceive as having to justify my vote repeatedly. I never see it happen with any other design.
See this is what I want more of here, actual design critiques in the reasoning for why voting for one suit over another. Not just "it is the OG and inspired all the other suits" which does come off as a legacy reason not a design reason.

I have no issues with this kind of reply.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

G54 wins the whole bracket, it's what I predicted long ago lol, so let's see if it happens.

You Heisei kids better be ready to vote your asses off if you want to stand a chance against ping pong eyes.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Start the roooouuuund

C’mon Bio, kick Desu, and then Shodai-bias’ asses

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:28 am G54 wins the whole bracket, it's what I predicted long ago lol, so let's see if it happens.

You Heisei kids better be ready to vote your asses off if you want to stand a chance against ping pong eyes.
I endorse this statement 100%.

Added in 46 seconds:
It's either googly mushroom-cloud or big booby cat and I know the right one to choose.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Avenge the fallen, Bio! Vastly superior designs were voted out merely for unfair Showa bias and pretending that Shodai is more than just average, and we will not stand for these injustices! :mad:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri May 07, 2021 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Showa bias vs. Heisei gang, this is gonna be a delightfully toxic finale and I am all for it.
Last edited by godjacob on Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.