Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Winner: Godzilla 1954]

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Godzilla Design Bracket Challenge [Current Match: '94 v. '64 (B)]

Post by _JNavs_ »

tbeasley wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:13 pmObJeCtIvElY
Would you claim otherwise?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Eh, Shodai is pretty middle of the road for me. Nothing about it is done better than any other suit/design. Sure, it was the original and defined the character, but there’s nothing really special, cool, badass, or unique about it. It’s like voting for the very first Batman from the comics

Instead of any of the newer, modern ones...

—just on the basis of the original being the original and “setting the standard”

Not saying I don’t like it, just thats it pretty average imho
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Always found the changes that happened between both 64 suits strange and not really necessary but eh, atleast he has an endearing quality to him with the childishly angry looking frown. 94 on the other hand is a culmination of everything off with the post-1991 Godzilla suits imo :lol:
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:30 pm Eh, Shodai is pretty middle of the road for me. Nothing about it is done better than any other suit/design. Sure, it was the original and defined the character, but there’s nothing really special, cool, badass, or unique about it. It’s like voting for the very first Batman from the comics

—just on the basis of the original being the original and “setting the standard”

Speak for yourself, man. The 1954 suit is my favorite, but not because it's the first. For lack of a better term, it just screams "Godzilla" to me, more than anything else that's come since.

It's the little things that add up, for me. It's the pronounced fangs, the visible ears, the pointed tail tip, the small and vagually iguanodon-like arms, the four dinosaur-like toes, and the shape and size of the rows of spines (the center row being the largest as opposed to the Heisei design, with the side rows being larger and more jagged than the later Showa designs).

And oh, that roar. That glorious, beautiful, terrifying roar. There isn't a single Godzilla roar I like better than the 1954 original.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:45 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:30 pm Eh, Shodai is pretty middle of the road for me. Nothing about it is done better than any other suit/design. Sure, it was the original and defined the character, but there’s nothing really special, cool, badass, or unique about it. It’s like voting for the very first Batman from the comics

Speak for yourself, man. The 1954 suit is my favorite, but not because it's the first. For lack of a better term, it just screams "Godzilla" to me, more than anything else that's come since.

It's the little things that add up, for me. It's the pronounced fangs, the visible ears, the pointed tail tip, the small and vagually iguanodon-like arms, the four dinosaur-like toes, and the shape and size of the rows of spines (the center row being the largest as opposed to the Heisei design, with the side rows being larger and more jagged than the later Showa designs).

And oh, that roar. That glorious, beautiful, terrifying roar. There isn't a single Godzilla roar I like better than the 1954 original.
Gotta agree here. I utterly love Legendary Goji but there is a certain quality to 1954 that makes it hard to be beaten fully ngl. There are many suits and designs that are great interpretations of the characters but for the lack of a better description, the original is Godzilla. It just perfectly encapsulates all of the features that made the character's look a staple in the first place.
I will say that it's probably not my favorite design as far as looks go but it certinialy dreserves it's place.

Plus DougheGoji exists so LP Godzilla will continue on anyway lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

The '54 has a uniquely eerie vibe to it. Also I think the skin texture on the suit is pretty incredible.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Jermo is right, this community constantly comes back to this idea of "If it isn't the original, or doesn't vaguely resemble the OG, it's not the best". It's like a Superman Poll, but everyone picks the bright red tights wearing 30s Superman because he was the "original". Which means we can literally all predict right here and now, that Shodai wins the entire poll.

68, who beat FW, isn't beating Shodai on his best day.
84, who beat 67, isn't beating Shodai.
94, who beat 64b, wouldn't beat Shodai.

Yet these are all arguably better suits, at the end of the day it all comes back to the nostalgia thing.

So again my vote'll go to 14, bc if the (most fluid, most organic, most detailed, most characteristic) Monsterverse designs can't beat the OG, then literally nothing else on the list will.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Asking me to choose between the 54 and the 84 would be like pulling teeth. I'm mostly a Heisei fan design wise, but the '54...there's just something about it to me. Hope we're able to start the poll soon, but it looks like we may have to wait until tomorrow.

Edit: I would probably still go with the 84 there. I just love that suit.

Added in 7 minutes 56 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:59 pm So again my vote'll go to 14, bc if the (most fluid, most organic, most detailed, most characteristic) Monsterverse designs can't beat the OG, then literally nothing else on the list will.
I don't think that's the case. We haven't even seen some of the most popular suits in action; Godzilla 1989, for example. I think the 2014 is unlikely to beat it, but the 2019-2021 could in terms of the Monsterverse. Mosu and KiryuGoji have both received 20 votes a piece so far. Shoot I don't think DesuGoji is too popular on this board, but I foresee it performing better than one might expect.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

shadowgigan wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:14 pm I'm not saying I want the 54 to win, I'm in camp 89/91, but I don't think Godzilla 2014 will be the one to take him out. Whoever wins the 64 v. 73-75 match may have a good chance.
MegaroGoji vs Mosu? Easy Mosu win.

Added in 1 minute 7 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:59 pm Jermo is right, this community constantly comes back to this idea of "If it isn't the original, or doesn't vaguely resemble the OG, it's not the best". It's like a Superman Poll, but everyone picks the bright red tights wearing 30s Superman because he was the "original". Which means we can literally all predict right here and now, that Shodai wins the entire poll.

68, who beat FW, isn't beating Shodai on his best day.
84, who beat 67, isn't beating Shodai.
94, who beat 64b, wouldn't beat Shodai.

Yet these are all arguably better suits, at the end of the day it all comes back to the nostalgia thing.

So again my vote'll go to 14, bc if the (most fluid, most organic, most detailed, most characteristic) Monsterverse designs can't beat the OG, then literally nothing else on the list will.

89 and 64A could beat Shodai, very easily.
For Emperor and Empire!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Usually I see people openly favoring 1964 over 1954 so I can definitely see the former winning.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I don't even think 89 Goji is the best Heisei Suit. I don't get why it is considered so much better than 91 Goji.

Honestly I don't see the universal appeal of 64A Goji either. Design wise, I feel other Godzilla since are better at a mean streak face (2019/21 Goji and literally every Heisei Suit who defaults to "fuck your face" expression)

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

godjacob wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:33 pm I don't even think 89 Goji is the best Heisei Suit. I don't get why it is considered so much better than 91 Goji.
Lol I kind of agree with this, I think I prefer the 91, but only slightly. However people don't talk about the 91 like they do about the 89, for whatever reason.

Usually I say the 89, 91, or 84 are my favorite suits. However if you gave DesuGoji the face and proportions of GhidoGoji, it would easily be my favorite suit. I just think I'm going to have a hard time voting against DesuGoji, it was so impressive on screen.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:33 pm I don't even think 89 Goji is the best Heisei Suit. I don't get why it is considered so much better than 91 Goji.
We get it, you've said this multiple times johhny multiple times.....*It's a mafia name like Johnny two times but I don't think that works here but fuck it*.

-_-

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:45 pm
We get it, you've said this multiple times johhny multiple times.....*It's a mafia name like Johnny two times but I don't think that works here but fuck it*.

-_-
At times i can’t tell if you’re 12 or 46 :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:57 pm
We get it, you've said this multiple times johhny multiple times.....*It's a mafia name like Johnny two times but I don't think that works here but skreeonk it*.

-_-
And we have another contender for that title.

I'm 16 by the way. Just, old at heart.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:58 pm

We get it, you've said this multiple times johhny multiple times.....*It's a mafia name like Johnny two times but I don't think that works here but skreeonk it*.

-_-

I thought you were 26

Bro joined when he was 7
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:59 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:58 pm

I thought you were 26
Nope, fine if yall want the truth....20 Im 20 yrs old.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

64 making a comeback. Imagine this upset!
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Once more an inferior suit is getting the Showa bias rub. Just like 04 Goji against 68 Goji. It's a crying shame.