Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Gigantis »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:12 pm Question. Why does everyone love Showa MG damn much? Don’t get me wrong, I really like Showa. Currently my second favorite MG design/incarnation but...what’s the big draw that makes it so much better than the others? I honestly don’t get it lol
Weapons dear boy. ALL THE WEAPONS!!

Oh yeah and he has the best design out of every Mechagodzilla so far.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:36 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:12 pm Question. Why does everyone love Showa MG damn much? Don’t get me wrong, I really like Showa. Currently my second favorite MG design/incarnation but...what’s the big draw that makes it so much better than the others? I honestly don’t get it lol

That feels incredibly subjective. Every Mechagodzilla seems to have its fans design wise.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:46 pm
Gigantis wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:36 pm

That feels incredibly subjective. Every Mechagodzilla seems to have its fans design wise.
Yes and every fan can be wrong.

I personally believe MGII is the best Mechagodzilla followed by Showa MG and that's really it.

Monsterverse MG sucked
Anime MG was a bore
Kiryu was a lifeless douchebag
RPO MG was like imitation crab meat

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:12 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:56 am Showa MG (especially ‘75) is the peak of Mechas in the Godzilla pantheon. He makes all other MGs look like total chumps. MG Heisei is literally a silver, blander Heisei Godzilla, Kiryu is fine, but looks like Godzilla in armour, as Keizer said, Anime MG is a clusterskreeonk, RPO MG is the most safe, boring thing yet, and MV MG is just metal Godzilla with disgusting arms.
Question. Why does everyone love Showa MG damn much? Don’t get me wrong, I really like Showa. Currently my second favorite MG design/incarnation but...what’s the big draw that makes it so much better than the others? I honestly don’t get it lol
For one thing, it was, up until a few weeks ago, the only evil Mechagodzilla in existence.

It's still the only alien built Mechagodzilla. (The anime trilogy doesn't count.)

It's the only Mechagodzilla that had a legit reason for looking like Godzilla; and in doing so predated the Terminator by a full decade.

Subjectively speaking, but in my opinion, it has the best Mechagodzilla movie in Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Also subjectively speaking, and again in my opinion, it has the best design of any Mechagodzilla. Maybe even the best powers. Those finger missiles are iconic.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:18 pm

I personally believe MGII is the best Mechagodzilla followed by Showa MG and that's really it.

You almost had me until you decided to be completely wrong, Gojsiah.

To the shed with you.
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:40 pm

It's the only Mechagodzilla that had a legit reason for looking like Godzilla; and in doing so predated the Terminator by a full decade.

Subjectively speaking, but in my opinion, it has the best Mechagodzilla movie in Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Also subjectively speaking, and again in my opinion, it has the best design of any Mechagodzilla. Maybe even the best powers. Those finger missiles are iconic.
I estatically agree with you. Every past Mechagodzilla has been good but has had something that keeps it from being great (1993 has no real character or interesting quirks design wise, Kiryu is just a fucking great concept no one has done well outside of a handful of fanfics, City got close but it's more out there idea doesn't make it a great MECHAGODZILLA Mechagodzilla, and 2021 I'm still trying to decdie on) but the old Showa Mechagodzilla takes his concept above and fucking beyond, especially in TOMG, the best MG movie.

RIP Evan.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:56 am Showa MG (especially ‘75) is the peak of Mechas in the Godzilla pantheon. He makes all other MGs look like total chumps. MG Heisei is literally a silver, blander Heisei Godzilla, Kiryu is fine, but looks like Godzilla in armour, as Keizer said, Anime MG is a clusterskreeonk, RPO MG is the most safe, boring thing yet, and MV MG is just metal Godzilla with disgusting arms.
Question. Why does everyone love Showa MG damn much? Don’t get me wrong, I really like Showa. Currently my second favorite MG design/incarnation but...what’s the big draw that makes it so much better than the others? I honestly don’t get it lol
For one thing, it was, up until a few weeks ago, the only evil Mechagodzilla in existence.

It's still the only alien built Mechagodzilla. (The anime trilogy doesn't count.)

This is just objectively wrong. You may not "like" Kiryu's execution, but if anything it has more reason to look like Godzilla given an actual skeleton is being used for its construction. Where as Mechagodzilla looks like it just to pull a fast one on humanity (Basically a better executed deception plot than the aliens in Invasion of the Astro Monster).

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:01 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:18 pm

You almost had me until you decided to be completely wrong, Gojsiah.

To the shed with you.
No, not the shed. At the very least can you remove the fallen TK'ers that are still there.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

godjacob wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:19 pm This is just objectively wrong. You may not "like" Kiryu's execution, but if anything it has more reason to look like Godzilla given an actual skeleton is being used for its construction.
I like Kiryu fine. When I say the other MG's have no legit reason to look like Godzilla, well... for Kiryu that can be changed to this: why did they need to build the robot around the skeleton to begin with? It's 95% human built anyway.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:38 pm
godjacob wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:19 pm This is just objectively wrong. You may not "like" Kiryu's execution, but if anything it has more reason to look like Godzilla given an actual skeleton is being used for its construction.
I like Kiryu fine. When I say the other MG's have no legit reason to look like Godzilla, well... for Kiryu that can be changed to this: why did they need to build the robot around the skeleton to begin with? It's 95% human built anyway.
Mechagodzilla was built like that in the Heisei era because he was built after the most powerful creature on the planet. He was suppose to Man's Godzilla destroying Nature's Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:38 pm
They literally explain why. Bio-computing. It allows Kiryu to respond faster on the field and helps with processing, basically the use of the skeleton with the DNA remnants is to help make it a more efficient anti-Kaiju killing machine. And Godzilla's skeleton was the only Kaiju skeleton they had to build their weapon around. Similar reasoning to use Ghidorah's head in GVK for its Mechagodzilla (And given the creator's vanity and proving man is the true "king" over Titans it makes sense he'd model it after Godzilla to rub it in his face).

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:56 am Showa MG (especially ‘75) is the peak of Mechas in the Godzilla pantheon. He makes all other MGs look like total chumps. MG Heisei is literally a silver, blander Heisei Godzilla, Kiryu is fine, but looks like Godzilla in armour, as Keizer said, Anime MG is a clusterfuck, RPO MG is the most safe, boring thing yet, and MV MG is just metal Godzilla with disgusting arms.
Because he’s so damn cool. Showa has this funk, jazz and element of straight up badassery that no other Mech in the franchise has. I can give some examples if you wish, but I’d rather not have to post them unless you want me to, I’m lazy.
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:47 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:16 pm MonsterVerse MG is stupid, boring, unoriginal and did I say it’s stupid? It’s honestly one of the designs I despise the most. Heck, I’d take Anime MG over it. Atleast that has an original design.
Shredder originated in TMNT #1 way back when, and Metroplex came out in Transformers back in the 80s. So no, Anime MG is not original at all.

MV MG is the first time we're getting Ghidorah piloting Mechagodzilla, first time we have a kaiju with arms that are long enough to actually knock Godzilla on his ass and drag him around repeatedly. It also functions how a human made mech would, janky, towered, and propulsion based.
By original, I really mean in the Godzilla franchise. Can you really call anything original if you take outside subjects? Ghidorah? Nah bro, Orochi did it first, therefore, bad design.

Now to your other paragraph.

1. Ok sure, I’ll give you that... halfly. It’s similar to Kiryu being piloted by the soul of Godzilla when it’s enraged.
2. Orga, but he never used those arms, and MUTO, but you know, kinda hard to grab without fingers.
3. Uhh, sure? Kinda seems like Pacific Rim to me.
Last edited by Voyager on Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:47 pm
Because he’s so damn cool. Showa has this funk, jazz and element of straight up badassery that no other Mech in the franchise has. I can give some examples if you wish, but I’d rather not have to post them unless you want me to, I’m lazy.
Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:16 pm MonsterVerse MG is stupid, boring, unoriginal and did I say it’s stupid? It’s honestly one of the designs I despise the most. Heck, I’d take Anime MG over it. Atleast that has an original design.
Not to argue semantics of "original" but Mechani-Kong was already pulling the evil robot duplicate thing years before Showa Mechagodzilla appeared.
Shredder originated in TMNT #1 way back when, and Metroplex came out in Transformers back in the 80s. So no, Anime MG is not original at all.

MV MG is the first time we're getting Ghidorah piloting Mechagodzilla, first time we have a kaiju with arms that are long enough to actually knock Godzilla on his ass and drag him around repeatedly. It also functions how a human made mech would, janky, towered, and propulsion based.
By original, I really mean in the Godzilla franchise. Can you really call anything original if you take outside subjects? Ghidorah? Nah bro, Orochi did it first, therefore, bad design.

1. Ok sure, I’ll give you that... halfly. It’s similar to Kiryu being piloted by the soul of Godzilla when it’s enraged.
2. Orga, but he never used those arms, and MUTO, but you know, kinda hard to grab without fingers.
Uh Mechani-Kong was already an evil robo duplicate years before Mechagodzilla appeared in the Showa. If we are pulling threads at "original" well fair is fair.
Last edited by godjacob on Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:06 pm

Not to argue semantics of "original" but Mechani-Kong was already pulling the evil robot duplicate thing years before Showa Mechagodzilla appeared.

Uh Mechani-Kong was already an evil robo duplicate years before Mechagodzilla appeared in the Showa. If we are pulling threads at "original" well fair is fair.
Aside from being Robot Duplicates... they’re not all that similar. Just to name a few differences:

1. MG is an Alien Superweapon, MK is a human invention.
2. MG attempted to frame Godzilla as a destructive beast, where as MK is kind of just a means to an end.

The point is, I just think that MonsterVerse MG is just an unoriginal mish-mash of previous MG’s with a boring design.

Added in 2 minutes 20 seconds:

This. We may not agree on some things KK, but this is something we can agree on, 100%.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:04 am

Aside from being Robot Duplicates... they’re not all that similar. Just to name a few differences:

2. MG attempted to frame Godzilla as a destructive beast, where as MK is kind of just a means to an end.

The point is, I just think that MonsterVerse MG is just an unoriginal mish-mash of previous MG’s with a boring design.

This. We may not agree on some things KK, but this is something we can agree on, 100%.
The point was less that Mechani-Kong and Mechgodzilla are exact copies of each other and more you could easily pull similarities from them (Evil duplicate of their foe, made by an ambitious evildoer who ends up capturing the heroes etc.) but you focus on what is different. Yet seem to ignore this when comparing Showa MG to other MGs especially the MV once and call them all unoriginal.

Just seems a bit too selective.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:15 am

The point was less that Mechani-Kong and Mechgodzilla are exact copies of each other and more you could easily pull similarities from them (Evil duplicate of their foe, made by an ambitious evildoer who ends up capturing the heroes etc.) but you focus on what is different. Yet seem to ignore this when comparing Showa MG to other MGs especially the MV once and call them all unoriginal.

Ok, we’ll do it your way.

MVMG is built around Kaiju remains to subdue Godzilla.
The Kaiju remains take over and make it go berserk.

Also, you’re misrepresenting what I said. I never called all MGs unoriginal, only the MV one. I may not like the other MG’s but I never called them unoriginal :roll: Don’t go around generalising what I (and others) say.

EDIT: The makers catching the heroes? What does that have to do with the mech itself?
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:20 am

Also, you’re misrepresenting what I said. I never called all MGs unoriginal, only the MV one. I may not like the other MG’s but I never called them unoriginal :roll: Don’t go around generalising what I (and others) say.
Wasn't attempting to, just seemed to be what you argued with the MV one being highlighted. Just find the originality claim to be a bit selective for my taste, you are free to favor one version over others just feel this critique seems a touch unfair is all considering you overlook differences between MV MG and Kiryu vs. only focus on differences between Showa MG and Mechani-Kong.

I just think each Mechagodzilla is more distant of each other than not. And gravitate to the one you find most appealing.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 am

Wasn't attempting to, just seemed to be what you argued with the MV one being highlighted. Just find the originality claim to be a bit selective for my taste, you are free to favor one version over others just feel this critique seems a touch unfair is all considering you overlook differences between MV MG and Kiryu vs. only focus on differences between Showa MG and Mechani-Kong.

I just think each Mechagodzilla is more distant of each other than not. And gravitate to the one you find most appealing.
Well doesn’t that go to show that this whole similarities and differences is a bit stupid? How about we truce and call it a draw? This is edging towards a flame war, I can sense it.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:26 am Well doesn’t that go to show that this whole similarities and differences is a bit stupid? How about we truce and call it a draw? This is edging towards a flame war, I can sense it.
Awwwwwh, it was just getting interesting!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Voyager wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:26 am
godjacob wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 am

Well doesn’t that go to show that this whole similarities and differences is a bit stupid? How about we truce and call it a draw? This is edging towards a flame war, I can sense it.
Sounds fair to me, rather keep it "discussion" and not turn it to a fight.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

- Here We Go is unironically a bop.

- Godzilla Junior's theme is beautiful but worked better when Ifukube initially composed it for Kong and Susan in Escapes then in any Heisei film.

- Rodan is the only kaiju I would be ok being presented as more accurate to his intended species. This is why I don't mind SP, I think the classic Rodan deisgn has kind of been done the best it can/kind of played out

RIP Evan.