Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by godjacob »

Keizer wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:48 pm
godjacob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:50 am
Keizer wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:22 am I don't like Kiryu very much. I think its because they tried to make him look too much like Godzilla; the first two MGs had very distinct designs, despite being Godzilla homages. The Monsterverse MG is way worse with this, though, but I don't think that's a very controversial take.
The other points I can understand, even if I disagree with the Destoroyah one, but this one feels weird. Like, Kiryu was literally built from the skeleton of Godzilla, would it not be weird if he looked anything other than similar to Godzilla?
Yeah, it does make sense that they look so similar, but it still kind bugs me for some reason. I will say that I am not too hot on Mecha-monsters as a whole, so that may be fueling it, but Kiryu especially lacks anything to make it feel like its own thing. It sounds weird, but I like it when the similarities that Godzilla and MG share are more superficial than anything. That's the main reason I don't like the Monsterverse Mechagodzilla very much as well. It's just a metal LegendaryGoji.

That's not to say that it is totally lacking unique qualities; nobody will be mistaking Kiryu as just Godzilla wrapped in tin foil or anything, but I think Kiryu is lacking just one more thing to help it stand out for me.
I mean if that is how you feel, fine, personally I never saw anything about Kiryu that made me go "lol just Godzilla in a metal coating." Truthfully when I hear Mechagodzilla my mind goes to something that should be a little similar to the creature it is a duplicate of. But I think each Mechagodzilla has been distinct enough to stand on its own appearance and most importantly character wise from the Godzilla they share a film with.

I mean just compare the actual Legendary Mechagodzilla we got to some fan concepts of one and tell me which one is more "Just metal Godzilla."
Last edited by godjacob on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

godjacob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:45 pm
Keizer wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:48 pm
godjacob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:50 am

The other points I can understand, even if I disagree with the Destoroyah one, but this one feels weird. Like, Kiryu was literally built from the skeleton of Godzilla, would it not be weird if he looked anything other than similar to Godzilla?
Yeah, it does make sense that they look so similar, but it still kind bugs me for some reason. I will say that I am not too hot on Mecha-monsters as a whole, so that may be fueling it, but Kiryu especially lacks anything to make it feel like its own thing. It sounds weird, but I like it when the similarities that Godzilla and MG share are more superficial than anything. That's the main reason I don't like the Monsterverse Mechagodzilla very much as well. It's just a metal LegendaryGoji.

That's not to say that it is totally lacking unique qualities; nobody will be mistaking Kiryu as just Godzilla wrapped in tin foil or anything, but I think Kiryu is lacking just one more thing to help it stand out for me.
I mean if that is how you feel, fine, personally I never saw anything about Kiryu that made me go "lol just Godzilla in a metal coating." Truthfully when I hear Mechagodzilla my mind goes to something that should be a little similar to the creature it is a duplicate of. But I think each Mechagodzilla has been distinct enough to stand on its own appearance and most importantly character wise from the Godzilla they share a film with.

I mean just compare the actual Legendary Mechagodzilla we got to some fan concepts of one and tell me which one is more "Just metal Godzilla."
Don't get me wrong; I do think Kiryu is a distinct thing, and not just a shiny Godzilla, I just think it lacks any distinctly "Not-Godzilla" features, if that makes sense. To phrase it another way, if you were to tell a newbie that Kiryu is a Godzilla in a suit of armor, they might believe you. Not that anyone would say that, but still. I'm probably just splitting hairs about the differences to justify why I like the Showa/Heisei MG more, though; it does make sense why Mechagodzillla looks a lot like Godzilla.

If nothing else, I think we can all agree that Showa MG, Heisei MG, and Kiryu beat the hell out of Anime MG in terms of design.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Showa MG (especially ‘75) is the peak of Mechas in the Godzilla pantheon. He makes all other MGs look like total chumps. MG Heisei is literally a silver, blander Heisei Godzilla, Kiryu is fine, but looks like Godzilla in armour, as Keizer said, Anime MG is a clusterfuck, RPO MG is the most safe, boring thing yet, and MV MG is just metal Godzilla with disgusting arms.
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:56 am Showa MG (especially ‘75) is the peak of Mechas in the Godzilla pantheon. He makes all other MGs look like total chumps. MG Heisei is literally a silver, blander Heisei Godzilla, Kiryu is fine, but looks like Godzilla in armour, as Keizer said, Anime MG is a clusterfuck, RPO MG is the most safe, boring thing yet, and MV MG is just metal Godzilla with disgusting arms.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:05 am
Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:56 am Showa MG (especially ‘75) is the peak of Mechas in the Godzilla pantheon. He makes all other MGs look like total chumps. MG Heisei is literally a silver, blander Heisei Godzilla, Kiryu is fine, but looks like Godzilla in armour, as Keizer said, Anime MG is a clusterfuck, RPO MG is the most safe, boring thing yet, and MV MG is just metal Godzilla with disgusting arms.
I’d like to thank Tomoyuki Tanaka, Akihiko Iguchi, Jun Fukuda, Ishiro Honda and Teruyoshi Nakano.
For Emperor and Empire!

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I honestly believe that the MV Mechagodzilla is the best one we've had since the original.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

The MV Godzilla is the worst MG design in the Godzilla universe..... wait no, that goes to the anime MG followed by monsterverse MG.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

MonsterVerse MG is stupid, boring, unoriginal and did I say it’s stupid? It’s honestly one of the designs I despise the most. Heck, I’d take Anime MG over it. Atleast that has an original design.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Am I the only one here who’s just kinda neutral on the latest Mechagodzilla incarnation?

Don’t love it, don’t hate it either. It just exists.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Personally I loved the new Mechagodzilla.
Spoiler:
Ignore my avatar as it has no biased bearing on why I liked it.
But for real I do love its fighting style, the look works even if not my personal fav design and liked the origin and even bits of personality we get from it.
Last edited by godjacob on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Kiryu remains my favorite Mechagodzilla, with MV close behind.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:16 pm MonsterVerse MG is stupid, boring, unoriginal and did I say it’s stupid? It’s honestly one of the designs I despise the most. Heck, I’d take Anime MG over it. Atleast that has an original design.
Shredder originated in TMNT #1 way back when, and Metroplex came out in Transformers back in the 80s. So no, Anime MG is not original at all.

MV MG is the first time we're getting Ghidorah piloting Mechagodzilla, first time we have a kaiju with arms that are long enough to actually knock Godzilla on his ass and drag him around repeatedly. It also functions how a human made mech would, janky, towered, and propulsion based.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

TBH i'd like the MonsterVerse Mechagodzilla more if he wasn't so skinny and didn't have those really dumb crane arms.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:47 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:16 pm MonsterVerse MG is stupid, boring, unoriginal and did I say it’s stupid? It’s honestly one of the designs I despise the most. Heck, I’d take Anime MG over it. Atleast that has an original design.
Shredder originated in TMNT #1 way back when, and Metroplex came out in Transformers back in the 80s. So no, Anime MG is not original at all.

MV MG is the first time we're getting Ghidorah piloting Mechagodzilla, first time we have a kaiju with arms that are long enough to actually knock Godzilla on his ass and drag him around repeatedly. It also functions how a human made mech would, janky, towered, and propulsion based.
I agree with all of this apart from the jankyness. I feel he could've been less fluid in the movie to sell the robotic factor. I was thinking movement like IG-11 but on a larger scale. Though the arms I 100% agree with. Not sure why it was said earlier that MG had large ridiculous arms for no reason, when in the movie they're his main source of attack, and pretty effective. One claw was able to grab Godzilla's tail and drag him across the city, and grab his head while smashing it into buildings.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:02 pm Not sure why it was said earlier that MG had large ridiculous arms for no reason, when in the movie they're his main source of attack, and pretty effective.
Him being a physical fighter isn't the problem, it's how they look. They gave him these weird, three fingered hands when it would look better if they just gave him regular fists.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Gigantis wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:07 pm
DirektorSplennic wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:02 pm Not sure why it was said earlier that MG had large ridiculous arms for no reason, when in the movie they're his main source of attack, and pretty effective.
Him being a physical fighter isn't the problem, it's how they look. They gave him these weird, three fingered hands when it would look better if they just gave him regular fists.
I think the idea of the hands is to give Mechagodzilla a better sense of being artificial. To make it more distinct from Godzilla and "unnatural", the fact the long arms serve battle utility explains the length. And the clamps help to hold the enemy in place giving it to a practical application.
Last edited by godjacob on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:02 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:47 pm

I agree with all of this apart from the jankyness. I feel he could've been less fluid in the movie to sell the robotic factor. I was thinking movement like IG-11 but on a larger scale. Though the arms I 100% agree with. Not sure why it was said earlier that MG had large ridiculous arms for no reason, when in the movie they're his main source of attack, and pretty effective. One claw was able to grab Godzilla's tail and drag him across the city, and grab his head while smashing it into buildings.
Absolutely, his claw-arms were made to subdue, just like with IRL animal restraints. He subdued, and almost demolished Godzilla with an unbreakable steel grip. It's awesome!
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:27 pm Am I the only one here who’s just kinda neutral on the latest Mechagodzilla incarnation?

Don’t love it, don’t hate it either. It just exists.
No, you are not alone, you're amongst friends here.
It exists and that's it.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Question. Why does everyone love Showa MG damn much? Don’t get me wrong, I really like Showa. Currently my second favorite MG design/incarnation but...what’s the big draw that makes it so much better than the others? I honestly don’t get it lol
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:12 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:56 am Showa MG (especially ‘75) is the peak of Mechas in the Godzilla pantheon. He makes all other MGs look like total chumps. MG Heisei is literally a silver, blander Heisei Godzilla, Kiryu is fine, but looks like Godzilla in armour, as Keizer said, Anime MG is a clusterskreeonk, RPO MG is the most safe, boring thing yet, and MV MG is just metal Godzilla with disgusting arms.
Question. Why does everyone love Showa MG damn much? Don’t get me wrong, I really like Showa. Currently my second favorite MG design/incarnation but...what’s the big draw that makes it so much better than the others? I honestly don’t get it lol
I personally don't know. To me other versions of the character are quite comparable so I don't see this big gap the way others on the site do.