Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by _JNavs_ »

So with the rumors of Keaton returning, all previous spidermen returning, all these old school action heroes coming back, yada yada, I think it'd be cool if Toho maybe thought about making continuations to their past films regardless of era. Even if they're just one-off period pieces as like a tribute to the franchise.

Don't know if that's necessarily a confession but it's more a realization that companies do sometimes look to the past to continue stories.

Now am I saying they should do that instead of taking more risks with new film ideas? No, but the very concept in itself is a risk. Though considering how much Japan respects its past, I'd say they'd probably love some good ol nostalgia.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I've been having a falling out with the Godzilla franchise. Nothing excites me anymore. I just feel there's nothing to look forward to, so I'm bored of it.
For Emperor and Empire!

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I think a combination of overexposure and finding the 2019 design to be better made me like the 2014 Godzilla less than I used to.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I hope Godzilla vs Kong gets delayed again.

To May, at the earliest. Later, if need be.

I'm in Canada. We don't have HBO Max here. Theaters are my ONLY option and they're currently closed in my province, and I don't know if they will be opening two months from now.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:52 pm I hope Godzilla vs Kong gets delayed again.

I'm in Canada. We don't have HBO Max here. Theaters are my ONLY option and they're currently closed in my province, and I don't know if they will be opening two months from now.
No HBO Max in Japan. I'm sort of in a similar boat to you.

I checked the Japanese release site, and as of now there's no release date. What will probably happen is that there will be a Japanese theatrical release with no other way to see it. In that case I will watch it on release through "other sources" and then see it like three times in theaters when it comes out again. No regrets or guilt about it cause I'm gonna buy a bunch of Kong vs. Godzilla merch as well.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:52 pm I hope Godzilla vs Kong gets delayed again.

If it releases on schedule, it'll probably be on Blu-ray or streaming services by May, so you'll get it then either way. :D
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Diablos
Ronin

Post by Diablos »

My favorite Ghidorah design is anime Ghidorah. Movie was bad, but man was it cool seeing Ghidorah's heads come out of portals as endless strands of light.

And to make things even worse, my second favorite is GMK Ghidorah. I like the traditional asian dragon heads with buggy demon eyes and tusks. It fits the deific role of that Ghidorah.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Diablos wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:27 pm My favorite Ghidorah design is anime Ghidorah. Movie was bad, but man was it cool seeing Ghidorah's heads come out of portals as endless strands of light.

And to make things even worse, my second favorite is GMK Ghidorah. I like the traditional asian dragon heads with buggy demon eyes and tusks. It fits the deific role of that Ghidorah.
Don't suppose you've seen that MMD animation where Godzilla Earth fights anime Ghidorah for like 20 solid minutes have you? Might be something you'll appreciate.

RogerDarwin
Young Farmer

Post by RogerDarwin »

I find Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla my third favorite heisei film
I think all of the millienium movies aren't that good except for GFW
I love all of the showa films except for AMA
I love the last three heisei Godzilla films
I hate modern Gdzila games
Last edited by RogerDarwin on Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:36 pm I've been having a falling out with the Godzilla franchise. Nothing excites me anymore. I just feel there's nothing to look forward to, so I'm bored of it.
^ I feel that comment.

Like srsly, I've been kinda interested in GvK till I first heard about KotM having Mothra, Rodan and KG in it. And if Legendary keeps bringing up classic Godzilla kaijus back, the MV is completely uninteresting to me. I even passed on the vinyls to KotM and that's says a lot...

Haven't seen the Godzilla animes. I don't care whether they are good or not but I don't feel the urge to see them.
Godzilla Singular Point might face the same problem.

I just hope that some day Toho steps up their game and brings us a new Godzilla movie with suitmotion. It's the soul of the movies to be made like this. And even though I enjoyed Shin a lot, it's simply put not the same.
Tsuburaya improved so much and shows how to combine CG and suits (just look at Ultraman Z!). Seeing a new Godzilla movie taking advantage of today's technologies while still using costumes is my absolute dream.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Unfortunately, I think the days of man-in-costume Godzilla movies are behind us. But because of that, I've come to appreciate the Millennium Godzilla films more than I did before.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:46 am Unfortunately, I think the days of man-in-costume Godzilla movies are behind us. But because of that, I've come to appreciate the Millennium Godzilla films more than I did before.
Sadly probably true. Unless an en masse love and resurgence of practical effects happens, but that seems unlikely.
Resized Image

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I tend to pronounce Showa Moguera's name as maw-gir-ah while using the Godzilla Unleashed pronunciation for Heisei MOGUERA.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:12 am
Terasawa wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:46 am Unfortunately, I think the days of man-in-costume Godzilla movies are behind us. But because of that, I've come to appreciate the Millennium Godzilla films more than I did before.
Sadly probably true. Unless an en masse love and resurgence of practical effects happens, but that seems unlikely.
The aesthetics and feel of physical props/suits/miniatures/etc. can be authentically replicated in CG given enough time and effort. Just look here at these pieces of Star Wars fan art:

Artists are Angelos Karderinis, EC Henry, Ben Mckinny, and Marton Antal.

If it can be done with Star Wars ships, then there's no reason why a CGI Godzilla couldn't look and move exactly like a man in a suit.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gerdzerl wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:43 pm
The aesthetics and feel of physical props/suits/miniatures/etc. can be replicated in CG given enough time and effort. Just look here at these pieces of Star Wars fan art:
-snip-
Thank you for sharing, these are all fantastic.

I think it largely depends on the next movie made (how many monsters for example).

But remember, Shin worked really well because it still had a lot of practical effects. Some of the best stuff in the film was all practical, like some of the early miniatures that were destroyed by shin.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gerdzerl wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:43 pm The aesthetics and feel of physical props/suits/miniatures/etc. can be authentically replicated in CG given enough time and effort. Just look here at these pieces of Star Wars fan art:

If it can be done with Star Wars ships, then there's no reason why a CGI Godzilla couldn't look and move exactly like a man in a suit.
Those are impressive, but they're only stills of mostly machines. That's not exactly proof that a feature film's fully-animated CGI Godzilla would likewise be indistinguishable from a man in suit.

I don't doubt that technology could improve enough in the (distant) future to do that, but IMO that's besides the point. I simply think it's sad that we'll almost certainly never see any new Godzilla flix made with the traditional screen method for bringing the character to life.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Gerdzerl wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:43 pm
The aesthetics and feel of physical props/suits/miniatures/etc. can be authentically replicated in CG given enough time and effort. Just look here at these pieces of Star Wars fan art:

Artists are Angelos Karderinis, EC Henry, Ben Mckinny, and Marton Antal.

I've got one question: how can those stormtroopers in picture #5 breathe in outer space?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:17 am I've got one question: how can those stormtroopers in picture #5 breathe in outer space?
That would be one of the purposes of their armor. Standard clone/stormtrooper armor isn't specialized for being out in space long-term, but they can apparently handle it for a few minutes if need be.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

I do wonder whether it's just because of money or sth, that Toho isn't using suitmotion again.

Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are doing quite good currently, the former increasing it's popularity every year.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:53 am
mikelcho wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:17 am I've got one question: how can those stormtroopers in picture #5 breathe in outer space?
That would be one of the purposes of their armor. Standard clone/stormtrooper armor isn't specialized for being out in space long-term, but they can apparently handle it for a few minutes if need be.
Thanks for the info! I guess what they're doing in that photo is maybe preparing to dock an arriving ship?