Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster HD G-MAN Reconstruction(Available Now)

A place for users to show off their creativity in the forms of art, music, movies or games.
G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster HD G-MAN Reconstruction(Available Now)

Post by G-MAN »

Well after thinking I knew what film I was going to tackle next I decided I should go back to the film I abandoned working on. As this was actually the second reconstruction I originally worked on. But due to not being as familiar with the program and it's settings at the time. It would crash constantly at a certain point in the film. But I figured it was finally time to start over and finish it.

I'm going to preface this real quick as I've never wanted anyone to think I'm bashing Red Menace and their work. I feel like I say that everytime I do a film they have already done a reconstruction for. But I feel I must because I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea about what I say about their work. As I've very much appreciate everything Red Menace has done. But as with the others I've done I feel there are some improvements that could be made. Not that reconstructions I've made couldn't be improved upon either.

Now for this reconstruction I looked at a few of the versions of this film out there and felt with everything Red Menace had done with the audio and even fixing an issue that has been on precious releases with the sync of the dub track. I felt it would be best to use that reconstruction as the base audio source. Only other thing I used from that reconstruction was the opening titles and credits that were made for that version. As i didn't really see anything that needed to be improved upon aside from the compression artifacts from the bootleg source they used. Which was an easy fix.

Everything else in the reconstruction was sourced completely from the Criterion disc. Which as many of you know I've been critical of that set for it's many flaws and issues. But that is still unfortunately the best source available and is a much better source than the bootleg red menace used. Which thankfully means no more distracting compression issues popping up from time to time. Though for any present in the source I will of course fix and essentially do what Criterion did on their discs to hide any compression artifacts. Lastly I will see if anything will need to be done with the color/look of the film.

Now while I don't have a definite window of when this will be ready. I can say that the main editing is close to being finished and I should have a preliminary render finished by next week to go over and check for any issues that may need to be fixed.

Stay tuned for any updates on this project and can't wait to share it once it's all finished.

*UPDATE*
The project is ready to be shared and am happy to give out the link. Below is the final breakdown.

VIDEO
Main source or course was the Criterion Showa set version. But as some fans have pointed out in the past about the set. This version is unfortunately slightly incomplete as it's missing more than a few frames from some scenes. Most weren't an issue. But a line was cut off from Naoko in one instance and I sourced it from the Official Japanese Bluray release. Only other source was Red Menace's Reconstruction for the titles as they came out great on that release. But with that source some work had to be done to fix the compression issues present.

Along with all the sources receiving some color correction work. Some needing it more than others Especially the Japanese source as the colors didn't match the Criterion source completely. I also boosted the saturation a bit without going too far. That way the colors don't come off unnaturally vibrant or bright. Plus I had to recreate what Crtierion did on their discs to hide compression artifacts and overall issues.

AUDIO
Was as mentioned previously mainly sourced from the Red Menace reconstruction as they did a fine job fixing some issues present on the sources.
Last edited by G-MAN on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Re: Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster HD G-MAN Reconstruction(Coming Soon)

Post by G-MAN »

First render pass is in progress and I did manage to tweak the colors so the film doesn't have such a yellow tint to it. Though I will say compared to Son of Godzilla it's not even close. But it was still noticeable to me while editing and watching the film since the Criterion set was released.

MAX Studio
Ronin

Post by MAX Studio »

Did you use SOG as a baseline for color on this one? I thought it looked great.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

MAX Studio wrote:Did you use SOG as a baseline for color on this one? I thought it looked great.
Thanks I'm glad you liked what I did. And no I didn't use it as a baseline as the yellow in Son was much more overt I feel like than in Ghidrah. But I feel the film is gonna look great once everyone gets a chance to watch it. First render came out great. There were just two little minor things I need to fix and so I've got another render going and should be done by tonight. I might post some of the comparisons here later. But I do have some up on the Twitter if you don't want to wait and see how it will look.

MAX Studio
Ronin

Post by MAX Studio »

Looking forward to it.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

MAX Studio wrote:Looking forward to it.
Thanks hope everyone enjoys it when it's finished. But unfortunately it's gonna be a bit longer as the Criteiro n discs as we know feature essentially the same errors as the original t.v. airings. As such Ghidrah is missing crucial frames for this project and I will have to unfortunately wait for the Japanese bluray copy to arrive as I don't know of anyone having a 1:1 rip of the disc available. Plus it would be cool to have some of the Japanese exclusive extras. As well as to be able to fix the missing frames for the scene where lines in the dub would be cut off. Or I should say one word would have been. Sorry that the wait will be a bit longer but it will be worth the wait trust me.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Well integrated the shot from the Japanese bluray and have further tweaked the colors so the film wasn't so dull and muted looking even after removing the tint. Film is being uploaded and should be ready to be shared soon.

ultrase7en
Samurai

Post by ultrase7en »

Very cool! Can't wait to see this one too.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Re: Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster HD G-MAN Reconstruction(Available Now)

Post by G-MAN »

Film has been completely and uploaded and ready to be shared. Feel free to ask for the link. Hope it's enjoyed by all.

While I had my next film all lined up to be worked on, but seeing as Goji1986 has finally started taking about his Smog Monster reconstruction again. I will unfortunately be putting that on the back burner for now. Very much loved what he did with Sea Monster and am looking forward to his Smog Monster. If it's not out in the next couple of months I might try my hand at it anyways.

But for now I'm going to be looking at some of my older releases and taking a look at the colors and what can be done to fix them. Now that I've done it a few times and feel comfortable with it. But aside from that and as far as new things go I have a couple other ideas of what I might do next.
Last edited by G-MAN on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FPremo
Ronin

Post by FPremo »

I'm interested to see what you did with Ghidrah! Your previous work is great!
Lurker for 3 years on these forums. Not really the posting type. Godzilla fan since 1971.

ultrase7en
Samurai

Post by ultrase7en »

Nice job as always! Thanks for putting in the effort to preserve these dubs.

MAX Studio
Ronin

Post by MAX Studio »

Just watched. Great colors once again. Well done!

smagal
Samurai

Post by smagal »

Can't wait to see it! Can I get the source on PM ?

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

Glad everyone has been enjoying it so far as I really tried to make sure the film look as good as possible without going too far with my color correction

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

smagal wrote:Can't wait to see it! Can I get the source on PM ?
On the way.

WaverBoy
Yojimbo

Post by WaverBoy »

I see your latest project is complete! Could I trouble you for a link, sir? And check your PMs, I had a thought or two for you about a possible reconstruction...

Thank you again for all your efforts!