Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:Godzilla sucks
GODZILLA DON'T SUCK!

GODZILLA SCRAPE AND LICK!

SCRAPE

AND LICK
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:Godzilla sucks
GODZILLA DON'T SUCK!

GODZILLA SCRAPE AND LICK!

SCRAPE

AND LICK
Wonder how many are going to catch the reference lolol
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I think some fans worry too much about continuity and canon in the film series. To start, this is a film series where the title character was definitely killed in the 1st movie. Events from pervious movies were hardly ever mentioned, or just in quick mention in passing. Then there is watching Destroy All Monsters as the last Showa movie, because it took place in 1999. It's like watching Stanley Kubrick films in order, but you have to watch "2001: A Space Odyssey" last because it takes place in 2001 not 1968. DAM is the end of the Golden Age, a last extravaganza before the more limited Championship Festival films. Ideas, and stock footage, from DAM are used in the Champion Festival films, and to move it to the end is silly. If you want to watch the last Showa film, watch Return of Godzilla.

Then there is the creation of vast interconnected timelines trying to place all the films in some short of order, even though events in the movie don't really work that way. People are always trying to include Gorath where the Earth is moved from it's orbit, costal cities flooded, and the moon is destroyed.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

szmigiel wrote:I think some fans worry too much about continuity and canon in the film series. To start, this is a film series where the title character was definitely killed in the 1st movie. Events from pervious movies were hardly ever mentioned, or just in quick mention in passing. Then there is watching Destroy All Monsters as the last Showa movie, because it took place in 1999. It's like watching Stanley Kubrick films in order, but you have to watch "2001: A Space Odyssey" last because it takes place in 2001 not 1968. DAM is the end of the Golden Age, a last extravaganza before the more limited Championship Festival films. Ideas, and stock footage, from DAM are used in the Champion Festival films, and to move it to the end is silly. If you want to watch the last Showa film, watch Return of Godzilla.

Then there is the creation of vast interconnected timelines trying to place all the films in some short of order, even though events in the movie don't really work that way. People are always trying to include Gorath where the Earth is moved from it's orbit, costal cities flooded, and the moon is destroyed.
Hear, all ye good people, hear what this eloquent speaker has to say.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

szmigiel wrote:I think some fans worry too much about continuity and canon in the film series.
Yeah, I've never understood why people try to fit all of Toho's tokusatsu films into one coherent timeline when there are so many contradictions. The increased obsession with close continuity in media franchises is what led to... well, the Heisei series.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I feel like the only way to make Gorath even remotely work in a kaiju themed timeline is just do what the Kiryu Saga did: cut out Gorath itself and then just leave in Maguma. He's the thing most people remember about that movie anyway. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

tyrantgoji wrote:I feel like the only way to make Gorath even remotely work in a kaiju themed timeline is just do what the Kiryu Saga did: cut out Gorath itself and then just leave in Maguma. He's the thing most people remember about that movie anyway. :P
Actually Gorath is one of my favorite sci-fi flims of the Golden Showa Era, and I like the American edit where Maguma is cut out.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

szmigiel wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:I feel like the only way to make Gorath even remotely work in a kaiju themed timeline is just do what the Kiryu Saga did: cut out Gorath itself and then just leave in Maguma. He's the thing most people remember about that movie anyway. :P
Actually Gorath is one of my favorite sci-fi flims of the Golden Showa Era, and I like the American edit where Maguma is cut out.
I understand that Maguma is pretty uneeded, but i really can't see Gorath fitting in the Godzilla universe besides him.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

tyrantgoji wrote:I understand that Maguma is pretty uneeded, but i really can't see Gorath fitting in the Godzilla universe besides him.
It doesn't need to fit into a Godzilla universe, it can be enjoyed just as a Honda Sci-fi film from the Golden Era.

Does every Kurosawa film need to fit into some short of timeline to enjoy them? Do we need to create a timeline where we explain were every role played by Toshiro Mifune fits in?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

szmigiel wrote:[
It doesn't need to fit into a Godzilla universe, it can be enjoyed just as a Honda Sci-fi film from the Golden Era.
I'm not saying that it needs to fit. I'm just saying that if Toho tries to make it fit into the timeline later on that's the only way it can.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

tyrantgoji wrote:I'm not saying that it needs to fit. I'm just saying that if Toho tries to make it fit into the timeline later on that's the only way it can.
Toho doesn't make timelines, fans do.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

szmigiel wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:I'm not saying that it needs to fit. I'm just saying that if Toho tries to make it fit into the timeline later on that's the only way it can.
Toho doesn't make timelines, fans do.

An official timeline of the Kiryu Saga events. So yes, Toho does make timelines.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

tyrantgoji wrote:Image

An official timeline of the Kiryu Saga events. So yes, Toho does make timelines.
That is a timeline of what Kaiju he choose to put in the Kiryu films, It shows the films they 1st appeared in and when it came out.
It list the release date of 1962, Gorath doesn't take place in 1962 it takes place in 1979.
Toho has always treated the Kaiju more as actors then as some sort of shared universe.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

szmigiel wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:Image

That is a timeline of what Kaiju he choose to put in the Kiryu films, It shows the films they 1st appeared in and when it came out.
It list the release date of 1962, Gorath doesn't take place in 1962 it takes place in 1979.
Toho has always treated the Kaiju more as actors then as some sort of shared universe.
This statement reminds me of the KOTM credits where they credit the main 4 titans as themselves.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

tyrantgoji wrote:An official timeline of the Kiryu Saga events. So yes, Toho does make timelines.
I took szmigiel's comments to mean the fanmade timelines that try to shoehorn every possible Toho movie into a singular universe.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Terasawa wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:An official timeline of the Kiryu Saga events. So yes, Toho does make timelines.
I took szmigiel's comments to mean the fanmade timelines that try to shoehorn every possible Toho movie into a singular universe.
Unpopular Opinon: Those kinda get annoying when they're ALWAYS concruent. Like, do we really need each film to happen in it's exact release year? Especially when they don't line up (I remember the example of someone putting The Last War in a Showa timeline in 1961 then has the rest happen. You know the film that features a goverment unlike anything hinted in the Showaverse and ends with mankind wiped out in a nuclear war?)

Added in 6 minutes 19 seconds:

Building on this, this timeline has been noted on the mainsite and everywhere else that it's a list of WHEN the kaiju showed up. The only events that seem to be for sure one to one with the films are Godzilla, Mothra, War of The Gargantuas (due to stock footage but even that's weak) and possibly Atragon because the AZC
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP Evan.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I prefer the ROM design of Mothra over the Battle for Earth design when it comes to Heisei designs.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:I prefer the ROM design of Mothra over the Battle for Earth design when it comes to Heisei designs.

What movie is ROM? I've learned that Battle For Earth was an alternate title for Godzilla vs Mothra, but I don't know which one ROM is.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:I prefer the ROM design of Mothra over the Battle for Earth design when it comes to Heisei designs.

What movie is ROM? I've learned that Battle For Earth was an alternate title for Godzilla vs Mothra, but I don't know which one ROM is.
Rebirth of Mothra.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: What movie is ROM? I've learned that Battle For Earth was an alternate title for Godzilla vs Mothra, but I don't know which one ROM is.
That would be Rebirth of Mothra. EDIT: Ninja'd.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio