Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by godjacob »

I prefer to use Transformers analogies myself. King Ghidorah is the Megatron and Gigan is the Starscream.

Though MV Rodan seems to have that characterization.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Except no major Starscream incarnation has been sycophantic and kowtowing to the most powerful Decepticon so that analogy doesn't even make sense. I don't know why everyone parrots that.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

UltramanGoji wrote:Except no major Starscream incarnation has been sycophantic and kowtowing to the most powerful Decepticon so that analogy doesn't even make sense. I don't know why everyone parrots that.
Mainly cause for Rodan its survivalist instincts were played out more so than Ghidorah, Mothra or Godzilla so it swaps teams depending on who is the Alpha at the time. Least my best guess for the comparisons.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

godjacob wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Except no major Starscream incarnation has been sycophantic and kowtowing to the most powerful Decepticon so that analogy doesn't even make sense. I don't know why everyone parrots that.
Mainly cause for Rodan its survivalist instincts were played out more so than Ghidorah, Mothra or Godzilla so it swaps teams depending on who is the Alpha at the time. Least my best guess for the comparisons.
Which, again, Starscream never does in any media. When the most powerful has fallen, he doesn't run away to protect himself, he swoops in to take command.That's literally the thing Starscream is known for: being a backstabbing schemer, not a suck-up.

I know this is just your speculation so this isn't directed at you by the way. Just to people who spout the "Starscream" comparison who seem to not actually know who the character is.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

UltramanGoji wrote:
godjacob wrote:
Which, again, Starscream never does in any media. When the most powerful has fallen, he doesn't run away to protect himself, he swoops in to take command.That's literally the thing Starscream is known for: being a backstabbing schemer, not a suck-up.

I know this is just your speculation so this isn't directed at you by the way. Just to people who spout the "Starscream" comparison who seem to not actually know who the character is.
Yeah I get it man, I think the whole "changing teams to suit his own needs" thing is what people dwell on. My issue is Rodan didn't change teams, he tried to fight Ghidorah head on...got crushed, Ghidorah made him bend the knee (Like all the other Titans not named Mothra/Godzilla) and fought with him until Ghidorah died at which point Godzilla took over as Alpha.

So his old team just...died. But I guess it is the most fitting analogy people can think of among villain dynamics.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

The MUTOs are incredibly generic and boring. They just look like Clover with a Gyaos head and being all-black doesn't really help.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Destorogoji wrote:The MUTOs are incredibly generic and boring. They just look like Clover with a Gyaos head and being all-black doesn't really help.
They're pretty normal for monster designs nowadays (i think every American monster is adopting the "Cloverfield pose") but its the backstory that helps. Having Godzilla face off against opponents he already has history with is something that never really was done before!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

godjacob wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
godjacob wrote:

Yeah I get it man, I think the whole "changing teams to suit his own needs" thing is what people dwell on. My issue is Rodan didn't change teams, he tried to fight Ghidorah head on...got crushed, Ghidorah made him bend the knee (Like all the other Titans not named Mothra/Godzilla) and fought with him until Ghidorah died at which point Godzilla took over as Alpha.

So his old team just...died. But I guess it is the most fitting analogy people can think of among villain dynamics.
That's pretty much how I saw it. So much so that I had to mention the similarities in my review. As for it being a perfect comparison, UltramanGoji is correct. Starscream would rather die than take orders from his enemies because to him, no command is greater than his.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Destorogoji wrote:The MUTOs are incredibly generic and boring. They just look like Clover with a Gyaos head and being all-black doesn't really help.
I'm halfway with you on the boring Clover-esq design, but as I said a while back on this thread, I honestly think the MUTOs are the most interesting Godzilla foes introduced since 1989. Their role as a parasite to Godzilla's species is interesting, their lifecycle is interesting, and seeing them work in tandem to battle Godzilla was pretty awesome. To back-up this claim, let's look at the other Godzilla opponents from the last 30 years
- Battra: He's cool, I love him, but he's just evil Mothra. Nothing too interesting character-wise. In a better film, Battra may have been a truly great Godzilla villain/anti-hero, but as it stands he's just kind of there.
- Space Godzilla: I just don't like him. I don't like his design, I hate his movie and Biollante was a much better Godzilla clone. Plus, GvSG is the second time in a row Godzilla's battled a doppelganger.
- Destoroyah: Wicked awesome design but, once again, his actual utilization in the film is underwhelming. Just something big and mean for Godzilla to trade beams and sparky body checks with. Same as Super Mechagodzilla and Space Godzilla before him.
- Orga: This one had potential to be interesting, but he shows up so late in the game that his role in the film is pretty much just to give Godzilla another monster fight. Had his status as an intelligent alien being mutated into a monstrosity been played up more effectively in the film, he'd be a lot more unique, but as it stands he's just the third Godzilla clone in a decade and his design is by far the worst of the three.
- Megaguirus: I like her better than most, and I'd even argue she's the second best insect kaiju after Mothra. Her strength vs. speed fight with Godzilla was a lot of fun, but her late-game appearance in the movie results in her being less developed and less interesting than the MUTOs.
- Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah: X is pretty cool, a nice throwback to the kaiju of the 70s, though he's nothing too special. Keizer Ghidorah is an ugly joke.
By comparison the MUTOs, somewhat underwhelming design aside, have a well-established reason for attacking Godzilla and a fun-to-watch fight with him. Megaguirus is the only other kaiju listed above who had a fight with Godzilla that was actually interesting, and she's my third favorite post-Showa Godzilla series kaiju after Biollante and the MUTOs.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

tyrantgoji wrote:
They're pretty normal for monster designs nowadays (i think every American monster is adopting the "Cloverfield pose") but its the backstory that helps. Having Godzilla face off against opponents he already has history with is something that never really was done before!
Yeah, I can give you that. They even recycled that concept for Ghidorah in KoTM.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Generic? I'd argue they stand out in comparison to the Godzilla rogues gallery design wise and their role is a unique one to his mythos.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
I'm halfway with you on the boring Clover-esq design, but as I said a while back on this thread, I honestly think the MUTOs are the most interesting Godzilla foes introduced since 1989. Their role as a parasite to Godzilla's species is interesting, their lifecycle is interesting, and seeing them work in tandem to battle Godzilla was pretty awesome. To back-up this claim, let's look at the other Godzilla opponents from the last 30 years
- Battra: He's cool, I love him, but he's just evil Mothra. Nothing too interesting character-wise. In a better film, Battra may have been a truly great Godzilla villain/anti-hero, but as it stands he's just kind of there.
- Space Godzilla: I just don't like him. I don't like his design, I hate his movie and Biollante was a much better Godzilla clone. Plus, GvSG is the second time in a row Godzilla's battled a doppelganger.
- Destoroyah: Wicked awesome design but, once again, his actual utilization in the film is underwhelming. Just something big and mean for Godzilla to trade beams and sparky body checks with. Same as Super Mechagodzilla and Space Godzilla before him.
- Orga: This one had potential to be interesting, but he shows up so late in the game that his role in the film is pretty much just to give Godzilla another monster fight. Had his status as an intelligent alien being mutated into a monstrosity been played up more effectively in the film, he'd be a lot more unique, but as it stands he's just the third Godzilla clone in a decade and his design is by far the worst of the three.
- Megaguirus: I like her better than most, and I'd even argue she's the second best insect kaiju after Mothra. Her strength vs. speed fight with Godzilla was a lot of fun, but her late-game appearance in the movie results in her being less developed and less interesting than the MUTOs.
- Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah: X is pretty cool, a nice throwback to the kaiju of the 70s, though he's nothing too special. Keizer Ghidorah is an ugly joke.
By comparison the MUTOs, somewhat underwhelming design aside, have a well-established reason for attacking Godzilla and a fun-to-watch fight with him. Megaguirus is the only other kaiju listed above who had a fight with Godzilla that was actually interesting, and she's my third favorite post-Showa Godzilla series kaiju after Biollante and the MUTOs.
I'd say the parasitic capabilities and their lifecycle was a good addition, except it wasn't. It was unnecesary since they don't even show us any of that. The only things we see are an already hatched egg, a cocoon and the adults. Even worse: we never even see how are they parasites to Godzilla. We see the hatched egg next to Dagon, but we never get to see why or how it ended there. So yeah, why have so many interesting concepts but never show them or elaborate on those?

And I'm not saying they are bad for the modern standard, since, well, Does it really change anything that they have the crown amongst mediocrity?

Added in 4 minutes 38 seconds:
godjacob wrote:
Generic? I'd argue they stand out in comparison to the Godzilla rogues gallery design wise and their role is a unique one to his mythos.
They're just the Clover monster with Gyaos' head and a black finish. They stand out because both are design choices new to the Godzilla franchise, but definitely not new to the medium.
Last edited by Destorogoji on Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Destorogoji wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
I'd say the parasitic capabilities and their lifecycle was a good addition, except it wasn't. It was unnecesary since they don't even show us any of that. The only things we see are an already hatched egg, a cocoon and the adults. Even worse: we never even see how are they parasites to Godzilla. We see the hatched egg next to Dagon, but we never get to see why or how it ended there. So yeah, why have so many interesting concepts but never show them or elaborate on those?

And I'm not saying they are bad for the modern standard, since, well, Does it really change anything that they have the crown amongst mediocrity?

godjacob wrote:
They're just the Clover monster with Gyaos' head and a black finish. They stand out since both are design choices new to the Godzilla franchise, but definitely not new to the medium.
If you are gonna call something "generic" because it has been done before in the genre as a whole then there is no such thing as a unique design since everything practically has been done and then some.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

godjacob wrote:
Destorogoji wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote: I'm halfway with you on the boring Clover-esq design, but as I said a while back on this thread, I honestly think the MUTOs are the most interesting Godzilla foes introduced since 1989. Their role as a parasite to Godzilla's species is interesting, their lifecycle is interesting, and seeing them work in tandem to battle Godzilla was pretty awesome. To back-up this claim, let's look at the other Godzilla opponents from the last 30 years

godjacob wrote:
They're just the Clover monster with Gyaos' head and a black finish. They stand out since both are design choices new to the Godzilla franchise, but definitely not new to the medium.
If you are gonna call something "generic" because it has been done before in the genre as a whole then there is no such thing as a unique design since everything practically has been done and then some.
You can't say it can't be done. Of course it can be done, just look at the Ultra Series, they make a new kaiju pretty much every month, same with comic books, and both mediums arguably work with less money than every single Godzilla film since 1990.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Destorogoji wrote:
godjacob wrote:
Destorogoji wrote: I'd say the parasitic capabilities and their lifecycle was a good addition, except it wasn't. It was unnecesary since they don't even show us any of that. The only things we see are an already hatched egg, a cocoon and the adults. Even worse: we never even see how are they parasites to Godzilla. We see the hatched egg next to Dagon, but we never get to see why or how it ended there. So yeah, why have so many interesting concepts but never show them or elaborate on those?

You can't say it can't be done. Of course it can be done, just look at the Ultra Series, they make a new kaiju pretty much every month, same with comic books, and both mediums arguably work with less money than every single Godzilla film since 1990.
That's what they did? The 2014 team took inspiration from Rhinos (Seriously) with insect like builds and made these particular entities that borrows traits of two creatures from two different series.

For the Godzilla verse it is creative. More so than a lot of designs.

And the Ultraman Kaiju are hit and miss design wise. Which is the element you have when you do a Sentai esque monster of the week kinda of show. But fair point.
Last edited by godjacob on Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

In the context of the Godzilla series, the MUTOs by far were one of the most original monsters in a long time, both in terms of design, abilities and interactions with each other.

Now, do I ever foresee the Mutos being as iconic as any of the classic monsters? Even things like Kumonga? Nah. But they’re good and serve their purpose.

I find that when people say the Mutos look like cloverfield, it’s a lazy complaint because A Cloverfield is a well designed Monster, and B the monsters are pretty different when you take everything into consideration(one can fly, the emp, the method of locomotion, head design) . It feels like a lazy complaint of saying “Godzilla looks like jurassic Park therefore bad” rather than get into the nitty gritty of anything.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

godjacob wrote:
Destorogoji wrote:
godjacob wrote:
That's what they did? The 2014 team took inspiration from Rhinos (Seriously) with insect like builds and made these particular entities that borrows traits of two creatures from two different series.

And the Ultraman Kaiju are hit and miss design wise. Which is the element you have when you do a Sentai esque monster of the week kinda of show. But fair point.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:In the context of the Godzilla series, the MUTOs by far were one of the most original monsters in a long time, both in terms of design, abilities and interactions with each other.

Now, do I ever foresee the Mutos being as iconic as any of the classic monsters? Even things like Kumonga? Nah. But they’re good and serve their purpose.

I find that when people say the Mutos look like cloverfield, it’s a lazy complaint because A Cloverfield is a well designed Monster, and B the monsters are pretty different when you take everything into consideration(one can fly, the emp, the method of locomotion, head design) . It feels like a lazy complaint of saying “Godzilla looks like jurassic Park therefore bad” rather than get into the nitty gritty of anything.
Saying "for the Godzilla series" and "for the Godzilla verse" confirms what I said previously.
Ok, if you want it, I won't say they look like Clover. They look like the alien from Super 8, or the monster from the ice planet in 09's Star Trek. :lol:
Oh, and sure, let's talk about the inspiration. If they were based around rhinos, then why six extremities? Oh, they are based on insect builds, sure, except they clearly lack any kind of exoskeleton, and their locomotion doesn't say anything about insects, something that by itself contradicts lim evolution. The head design is pretty much the same as Gyaos. But I'll give you guys this: The male MUTO actually looks cooler. the fleshy wings look cool, yet the head distracts me a lot.

Also, Godzilla doesn't look anything like Jurassic Park. Well... except for 98's. That third act was just a Jurassic Park rip-off. :twisted:

And I'm not saying that makes Godzilla bad. I love 14's Godzilla and I consider it one of the best tributes to the original film. The only thing I'm saying is that the design for the MUTOs is boring, generic, and it's the exact same thing we've already seen in American monster movies since mid 2000 (even worse: we never stopped looking at that exact same design after 2014; just look at the Mind Flayer from Stranger Things), and the actual original stuff from them is never shown on-screen.

I guess I actually gave a fairly unpopular opinion, Didn't I?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Destorogoji wrote:
godjacob wrote:
Destorogoji wrote: You can't say it can't be done. Of course it can be done, just look at the Ultra Series, they make a new kaiju pretty much every month, same with comic books, and both mediums arguably work with less money than every single Godzilla film since 1990.

LSD Jellyfish wrote:In the context of the Godzilla series, the MUTOs by far were one of the most original monsters in a long time, both in terms of design, abilities and interactions with each other.

Saying "for the Godzilla series" and "for the Godzilla verse" confirms what I said previously.
Ok, if you want it, I won't say they look like Clover. They look like the alien from Super 8, or the monster from the ice planet in 09's Star Trek. :lol:
Oh, and sure, let's talk about the inspiration. If they were based around rhinos, then why six extremities? Oh, they are based on insect builds, sure, except they clearly lack any kind of exoskeleton, and their locomotion doesn't say anything about insects, something that by itself contradicts lim evolution. The head design is pretty much the same as Gyaos. But I'll give you guys this: The male MUTO actually looks cooler. the fleshy wings look cool, yet the head distracts me a lot.

Also, Godzilla doesn't look anything like Jurassic Park. Well... except for 98's. That third act was just a Jurassic Park rip-off. :twisted:

And I'm not saying that makes Godzilla bad. I love 14's Godzilla and I consider it one of the best tributes to the original film. The only thing I'm saying is that the design for the MUTOs is boring, generic, and it's the exact same thing we've already seen in American monster movies since mid 2000 (even worse: we never stopped looking at that exact same design after 2014; just look at the Mind Flayer from Stranger Things), and the actual original stuff from them is never shown on-screen.

I guess I actually gave a fairly unpopular opinion, Didn't I?
Judging Kaiju within their own setting rather than glancing around at everything done in the genre feels like a better measure for creativity to me. Focusing so much on "well this movie did this! And this movie did that!" as a criticism for the design in a franchise that has never done something like that feels off.

If they did borrow from Clover, or Super 8 or whatever arbitrary movie you want to point to that doesn't change it is a new element to a franchise and more importantly the designs themselves are rather interesting. If they borrowed from the films, they still modified it to put their own spin on the "template" and as mentioned those designs are far from bad. Citing the Ultraman series (A universe that literally has reused Godzilla suits to paint over as "designs" for new monsters) as the creative path they should take for originality doesn't feel that much better.

If the design is good, and stands out compared to what else is offered in your setting, I don't see an issue with it. If it was a shameless copy/paste of Clover that would be one thing but they do make their own adjustments to it and put their own spin on it so I fail to see "generic" when I look at them.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Destorogoji wrote: They're just the Clover monster with Gyaos' head and a black finish. They stand out because both are design choices new to the Godzilla franchise, but definitely not new to the medium.
I really have to ask, why do you think the MUTOs' heads look so much like Gyaos? I see a resemblance that's so vague I never would have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out. Even so, I think their heads look more like Orga, and even then they're not that similar.

Added in 2 minutes 9 seconds:
Destorogoji wrote: I guess I actually gave a fairly unpopular opinion, Didn't I?
I guess you did, at least for Toho Kingdom. I've definitely noticed that certain opinions on these forums differ significantly from those held by the fandom as a whole. I remember I went to G-Fest the year after Legendary's film came out and ran into tons of people who bashed the movie and, especially, the MUTOs, so I kind of assumed that was how most people felt. Personally, the only thing I find generic about the MUTOs is their stupid acronym name.
Last edited by HedorahIsBestGirl on Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The MUTOs' heads don't look like Gyaos heads to me, either. And if nothing else, their eyes significantly set the MUTOs apart.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio