Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
goji89
Sazer

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by goji89 »

tyrantgoji wrote:
goji this is the TK pit! :P
No, there is another.

A darker TK pit..........

One more heinous darker.......the toy sections.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote:
eabaker wrote:(Kicks E in the chest into the pit of TK)
A kick to the chest?! Are you trying to rupture my aortic aneurysm?!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:
goji89 wrote:
eabaker wrote:(Kicks E in the chest into the pit of TK)
Fine........a kick to the nutts.

See, I am a good friend.. :huge:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

goji89 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
goji89 wrote:

What more could I ask for?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:
goji89 wrote:
eabaker wrote:

What more could I ask for?
Don't ask what Goji89 can do for you, but rather what you could do for goji89?

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

While I don't routinely get involved in them, I think fantasy matches are fine as long as people don't go overboard with them. Hell I just put my little 2 cents in one concerning Monster Hunter about a week ago.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dracosaurian wrote:While I don't routinely get involved in them, I think fantasy matches are fine as long as people don't go overboard with them. Hell I just put my little 2 cents in one concerning Monster Hunter about a week ago.
I have yet to see a FM that doesn't turn into a shite show...... everybody and their powah levels.

I could be wrong though.
Last edited by goji89 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

goji89 wrote:
Dracosaurian wrote:While I don't routinely get involved in them, I think fantasy matches are fine as long as people don't go overboard with them. Hell I just put my little 2 cents in one concerning Monster Hunter about a week ago.
I have yet to see a FM that doesn't turn into a shite show...... everybody and their powah levels.

I could be wrong though.
In my experience with the MH community the fantasy matches really weren't really all that terrible. Sure you had your occasional bad eggs, but things never really got to toxic levels. Unfortunately... I don't think I can say that now with the release of MH World/Iceborne.
Last edited by Dracosaurian on Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

eabaker wrote:Here's my take on Fantasy Matches: If people enjoy them, great! They are one way of looking at these movies/characters, and it seems like they can be a lot of fun for the people who choose to participate in them.

And they have their dedicated sub-forum. The arguments involved should not be spilling over into other threads, nor should people try to use the logic of fantasy matches to try to argue against other people's perspectives on the kind of thematic and story content that UltramanGoji is talking about.
This is pretty much my take on the issue, too, but I'll also add that the last point should, in the interest of fairness, go both ways: people shouldn't try to use their perspectives on thematic and story content to argue against the logic of fantasy matches, or at least shouldn't use them to put fantasy matches down. These are two radically different ways of looking at kaiju, but neither is inherently superior. I suppose the ideal scenario is that everyone acknowledge the authorial intent of the films' stories as the real reason things on screen play out like they do, while also accepting that it's fun and okay for some people to step back from context and approach things from a who-would-win perspective.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Post by MinorBone Good »

The King Kong vs. Godzilla theme is such a bop. I don't understand quite why, but that type of music just makes me want to get up and dance to the beat of it. The vocals make it much more of an epic than any other flick, and it's probably my favorite theme from any Godzilla movie.
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

MinorBone Good wrote:The King Kong vs. Godzilla theme is such a bop. I don't understand quite why, but that type of music just makes me want to get up and dance to the beat of it. The vocals make it much more of an epic than any other flick, and it's probably my favorite theme from any Godzilla movie.
This is the unpopular opinions thread
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

Fantasy matches are bad and people should feel bad for liking them.
Last edited by Fish Cakes on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

G2000 wrote:
MinorBone Good wrote:The King Kong vs. Godzilla theme is such a bop. I don't understand quite why, but that type of music just makes me want to get up and dance to the beat of it. The vocals make it much more of an epic than any other flick, and it's probably my favorite theme from any Godzilla movie.
This is the unpopular opinions thread
I mean, when was the last time someone mentioned the KKvG theme outside of wanting it for 2020?

Calling it your favorite theme compared to every other Ifukube piece could be unpopular

RIP Evan.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Here’s an opinion that I assume is pretty unpopular. Having a villainous Godzilla only really works if Godzilla either isn’t fighting any other monsters in the movie, or if the monsters he’s fighting are explicitly established as being good. If both Godzilla and the monster(s) he’s fighting are a threat to humanity, then there’s really no one to root for when you’re watching the monster brawl.

Take The Planet Eater, for example. Why should I care about seeing Godzilla fight Ghidorah if they’re both malevolent antagonists?
Last edited by Garzon on Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReiwaGodzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by ReiwaGodzilla »

Shockirus is terrifying and should've had more apparitions in Godzilla movies (it would fit on Godzilla vs Destoroyah perfectly)
When those fleeting lives destined to die, forget their humbleness and sing praises of their glory, such will shake the very heavens and split the earth, and they shall know the wrath of the divine. The inevitable incarnation of destruction. So, you show yourself at last. Since we last saw each other, it has been 20 years for us and 20,000 years for you. It's been a while... Oh, King of Destruction.

SoggyNoodles2016

Garzon wrote:Here’s an opinion that I assume is pretty unpopular. Having a villainous Godzilla only really works if Godzilla either isn’t fighting any other monsters in the movie, or if the monsters he’s fighting are explicitly established as being good. If both Godzilla and the monster(s) he’s fighting are a threat to humanity, then there’s really no one to root for when you’re watching the monster brawl.

Take The Planet Eater, for example. Why should I care about seeing Godzilla fight Ghidorah if they’re both malevolent antagonists?
I get Planet Eater is hard to understand but that is straight up not how it goes down.

Godzilla is a powerful threat to humanity, but as Metiphies points out, he's a reaction to the evil humans do right back to the Earth. He's not a tyrant ruling over a planet he conquered, he's the native antibody driving out any and all infection without remorse or empathy.
Ghidorah is a literal unworldly monster who wants to eat life whole, corrupts people into serving him, and previously decided to kill a large portion of humanity for no clear reason other then "they were there".

It ain't black and white but it sure as hell isn't evil vs evil.

(Note: I personally wasn't a fan of this sudden retcon of Godzilla being "good all along" but it was still the intent in story)
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Garzon wrote:Here’s an opinion that I assume is pretty unpopular. Having a villainous Godzilla only really works if Godzilla either isn’t fighting any other monsters in the movie, or if the monsters he’s fighting are explicitly established as being good. If both Godzilla and the monster(s) he’s fighting are a threat to humanity, then there’s really no one to root for when you’re watching the monster brawl.

I get Planet Eater is hard to understand but that is straight up not how it goes down.

Godzilla is a powerful threat to humanity, but as Metiphies points out, he's a reaction to the evil humans do right back to the Earth. He's not a tyrant ruling over a planet he conquered, he's the native antibody driving out any and all infection without remorse or empathy.
Ghidorah is a literal unworldly monster who wants to eat life whole, corrupts people into serving him, and previously decided to kill a large portion of humanity for no clear reason other then "they were there".

(Note: I personally wasn't a fan of this sudden retcon of Godzilla being "good all along" but it was still the intent in story)
Godzilla still wanted to kill all of humanity. It’s kind of hard to root for him under those conditions, regardless of whatever overdone misanthropic message the film was trying to sell.
Last edited by Garzon on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Garzon wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

Godzilla still wanted to kill all of humanity. It’s kind of hard to root for him under those conditions, regardless of whatever overdone misanthropic message the film was trying to sell.
No, he didn't. If he did, the Houta would have been dead. Godzilal cares about humans fucking up the planet. The Houta live in harmony, so he ignores him. The colonists don't so they gotta die.

Also.

1. I'm not saying you should root for Godzilla. I'm saying he has understandable motives for his actions.
2. This is the same conflict of a lot of Godzilla films, why is Planet Eater bad for what it's doing? Godzilla was trying to obliterate shit in 1991 and everyone rooted for him against Ghidorah then.

RIP Evan.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Garzon wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

No, he didn't. If he did, the Houta would have been dead. Godzilal cares about humans skreeonking up the planet. The Houta live in harmony, so he ignores him. The colonists don't so they gotta die.

Also.

1. I'm not saying you should root for Godzilla. I'm saying he has understandable motives for his actions.
2. This is the same conflict of a lot of Godzilla films, why is Planet Eater bad for what it's doing? Godzilla was trying to obliterate poop in 1991 and everyone rooted for him against Ghidorah then.
Godzilla drove humanity to extinction. You can’t use the “he only kills bad humans” argument if he kills every single human on the planet who isn’t a weird bug person.

1.Turning Earth into a wasteland that’s essentially just an extension of himself doesn’t really strike me as “understandable”.
2.I already said that I don’t like the idea of an evil Godzilla fighting evil monsters. I have a problem with it in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla and Godzilla vs. Destroyah as well. As I said, if you're going to go with a villainous Godzilla, I’d rather that he either solely fight humanity, or that he fights good monsters. That’s just my personal preference. This is the unpopular opinion thread, isn’t it?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Humanity wasn’t driven to extinction, they evacuated the planet.